Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it illegal to remove candidate posters especially the Greens

Options
  • 06-05-2009 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

It is amazing how much money the greens seem to have at their disposal these days just look at how much are they wasting on deburcha's campaign ( you know the one who cant spell or be bothered to proof read her posters ) Overnight they seem to have taken poll position on every lamp post on my journey to work whats the carbon foot print for that i wonder! Anyway is it illegal to remove these posters or would it be viewed as ones civic duty in keeping your town clean .

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is not illegal but by removing them you become entirely personally responsible for ensuring that they are recycled properly ( they are no doubt made of non bio degradeable plastic ...corrugated board... like all the other posters ) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Darsad wrote: »
    Overnight they seem to have taken poll position on every lamp post on my journey to work whats the carbon foot print for that i wonder!

Maybe its because last night was the first night you could put them up? Wait a week and all the parties will be at it.

This should be the part where I say, maturely and from my high horse, that taking down poster is acting childish. But to be honest every time I see a Kathy Sinnot poster I metaphorically feel in my pocket for a snips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

They were allowed to go up last night, but only after midnight.

The Irish Indo has a report about it that says: "Dublin City Council confirmed it is investigating a number of candidates whom it believes illegally erected campaign posters in public places before midnight last night."

I felt like taking down the Sinn Fein Euro and local election posters that were being illegally erected yesterday at about 7.30pm on public lamp-posts along Coolmine Road in Dublin 15. (I'm sure of the time because I saw it myself and I had just got off a train at Coolmine station.)

What makes it even more annoying is that the Indo also says: "Sinn Fein rejected claims MEP Mary Lou McDonald had erected posters illegally. A party spokesperson said: 'I don't believe they are up.'"

Well, they most certainly were up, and so I'd argue that the Mary Lou campaign did erect posters illegally.

Complaints about posters can seem like trivial quibbling over times and littering legislation, but it's revealing in that it shows yet again that many Irish politicians are more concerned about getting themselves elected than they are about respecting the law or the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Well, they most certainly were up, and so I'd argue that the Mary Lou campaign did erect posters illegally.

A Shinner involved in an illegal act?
    Never heard the likes of it!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is not illegal but by removing them you become entirely personally responsible for ensuring that they are recycled properly ( they are no doubt made of non bio degradeable plastic ...corrugated board... like all the other posters ) .

Are you sure its not illegal??

Have a look here

On the same posting there is this nugget (was posted in may 2007 on politics.ie)

"However, should the Green Party get into power, they will Ban Posters during election time and will only allow 2 posters per candidate situated within the centre of the town."

Hmmm. Surely Grianna Fail weren't telling lies.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Darsad wrote:
    It is amazing how much money the greens seem to have at their disposal these days just look at how much are they wasting on deburcha's campaign ( you know the one who cant spell or be bothered to proof read her posters ) Overnight they seem to have taken poll position on every lamp post on my journey to work whats the carbon foot print for that i wonder! Anyway is it illegal to remove these posters or would it be viewed as ones civic duty in keeping your town clean .
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Greens unveil environmentally friendly election posters

Issued: 03 May 2009

Statement by Deirdre de Burca

Spokesperson on Health and Children; Defence; European Affairs; Gaeltacht

Dublin MEP candidate leading the way with sustainable campaigning

The Green Party today unveiled a range of environmentally friendly posters – made out of wood from Irish forests – that many of its candidates will be using during the forthcoming local and European election campaigns.

MEP candidate for Dublin Senator Deirdre de Burca said: "On Wednesday I will be putting up thousands of posters around Dublin promoting my campaign to be a Green MEP for Dublin. As an environmentalist it gives me great comfort to know that my posters are sustainable. When I start my new job in Brussels my posters will be turned into loft insulation or wood pellets. I know that I can talk the talk on sustainability and I like being able to walk the walk and run a much greener campaign than any other MEP candidate.

The Green Party Leader and Environment Minister John Gormley TD added: "True to form, many Green candidates will be reusing posters from previous election campaigns. Of those than are getting new posters printed, most have decided to use these new environmentally friendly, wood poster backings which come from sustainable, state-owned forests.

"These posters are not only very recyclable, they are also much more environmentally friendly and better for the Irish economy.

"Posters are normally printed onto backings derived from petrochemical-based plastic 'polyboard' material, often supplied from continental Europe. These Irish wooden posters are biodegradable and can be reprinted; reused in roof lining, flooring underlay, pallet construction and loft insulation; ground into wood pellets; converted into liquid biofuel; or mulched for animal bedding and garden use. All round, they are a better option. I am glad that the Greens are leading the way with environmentally friendly election campaigning," he said.

Election candidates are permitted to put up posters from Wednesday 6 May 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

MEP candidate for Dublin Senator Deirdre de Burca said: "On Wednesday I will be putting up thousands (Is it not Thouands ) of posters around Dublin promoting my campaign to be a Green MEP for Dublin. As an environmentalist it gives me great comfort to know that my posters are sustainable. When I start my new job in Brussels (Cocky but then it is the Greens )my posters will be turned into loft insulation or wood pellets.( Just like their pre Gen election manifesto).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Very good. Perhaps Eamon Ryan can then champion the creation of a few jobs to turn the posters into wood pellets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Daithinski wrote: »
    Are you sure its not illegal??

Hmm..can anybody clear this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KevH

Saw those boards this morning for Brian Crowley with the Super-imposed sunny background with little white clouds. Totally tarnishing the countryside with his political big smile......really want to take them down....might do....under the cover of darkness!!!!!
    Have you noticed how small the "Fianna Fail" sign is on them....it's like he's embarrassed that he's a member.....and so he should be......should I take them down....I reckon there is about 10 of them in the village alone.......should I take them down:

-If you want me to TEXT 1
    -If you don't want me to TEXT 2
    -If you want me to put on a grass hula skirt and do a fancy little dance praising him under the lampost TEXT 3

I'll go and get the skirt!!!!!!!!!!

Kev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Saw all the sinn fein posters going up yesterday at 8 when I was going to the gym in Terrenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Anybody want to take down and burn Fianna Fail and Fine Gael posters?

I do, but I wont.The Fianna Fail posters are deceptive, they make it appear as if they are independent candidates the FF logo is so small. Very clever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sinn Fein were the first to plaster Waterford City and County from early on last night, including that Ferris woman. I believe some are being taken down by the council as there illegaly placed but others I have been informed wont be because you "must be willing to stand up in court" in order to prosecute.

PS I was told that removing them or vandalisng them was illegal, directly by a few guards.

Yes I do but I don't know how much of a fine to expect if I get gripped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Snipeddy snip snip ! I am an avid collector of green Memorabilia particuarly candidate posters and will pay good money aprox 1 c per poster for current
    election material. pm me ;) Just think thats a crispy tenner for every thouand De Burca posters !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Darsad wrote: »

I personally think they're a massive waste of money, but it's Deirdre's own money so she can do what she likes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Why would it be more illegal to remove Green Party posters than any other party's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

The fact is that their poster campaign is marginally less environmentally unfriendly than their competitors.

They still have to be manufactured (causes pollution)

And transported, again this causes pollution unless Eamonn Ryan picks them up in the basket of his bicycle.

Then the feckers are driving around in a car or a van to hang the fecking things up.

Then they have to drive around again to take them all back down again.

Then they have to bring them to the recycling plant to recycle them.

Way to save the earth - you go guys!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Daithinski wrote: »
    The fact is that their poster campaign is marginally less environmentally unfriendly than their competitors.

They still have to be manufactured (causes pollution)

And transported, again this causes pollution unless Eamonn Ryan picks them up in the basket of his bicycle.

Then the feckers are driving around in a car or a van to hang the fecking things up.

Then they have to drive around again to take them all back down again.

Then they have to bring them to the recycling plant to recycle them.

Way to save the earth - you go guys!:P

Exactly it would be greener not to put them up at all. They'd be sure to get free media coverage too about not harming the environment by not putting up posters like the other parties.

Is there any real evidence that these posters are effective. I'm not going to vote for a party because of a poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    Is there any real evidence that these posters are effective. I'm not going to vote for a party because of a poster.

Indeed, it's just an opportunity for sociopathic egotists to see their faces plastered all over the locality.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think its more of a reminder of the candidates or a method of convinsing people not very good at politics or much interest at all so they come to the polling day, look at the names and see one they recognise from being plastered all over the place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Sully wrote: »
    I think its more of a reminder of the candidates or a method of convinsing people not very good at politics or much interest at all so they come to the polling day, look at the names and see one they recognise from being plastered all over the place..

lol that seems like a good reason to ban them TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I do, but I wont.The Fianna Fail posters are deceptive, they make it appear as if they are independent candidates the FF logo is so small. Very clever.

I was looking at one in the city centre, and not only is the FF logo absolutely tiny, but the orange coloured stripe underneath her picture is red enough that I initially thought she was a Labour candidate!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

We received in our door on Tuesday a leaflet for Brian Crowley. It was entirely royal blue with his gurning face and buried in size 6 font at very bottom is the fact that he is a Fianna Fail member. Did someone high up in Fianna Fail say that their best chances at getting seats is to make it appear as if their candidates are all independent FF? Its ridiculous. If the party are receiving funds from tax payers to print these leaflets and campaign posters then surely there should be a legal obligation to declare prominently which party the candidate belongs to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

D-Generate wrote: »
    If the party are receiving funds from tax payers to print these leaflets and campaign posters then surely there should be a legal obligation to declare prominently which party the candidate belongs to.
    It doesn't, parties get taxpayer funding to run organisations, not politics.

D-Generate wrote: »
    If the party are receiving funds from tax payers to print these leaflets and campaign posters then surely there should be a legal obligation to declare prominently which party the candidate belongs to.
    It doesn't, parties get taxpayer funding to run organisations, not politics.

If it's thebig long one, it's quite clear he's a Fianna Fáil representative. Some candidates have minimised it, but most round these parts haven't bothered as it has to be there and will be seen.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Irish Indo has a report about it that says: "Dublin City Council confirmed it is investigating a number of candidates whom it believes illegally erected campaign posters in public places before midnight last night."
    IIRC after the last general election, there were several posters hanging well after the election date but the council decided to turn a blind eye! Whats the odds of another blind eye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

On a few of the above points.

1. Sorry to say it but ripping them down is theft, and I'd say if Councillor soandso finds out its you the powers that be will be after ya.

2. Know someone in the Greens, she says de Burca is paying for her campaign herself, a fair bit of money too.

3. Greens dont accept corporate donations so this friend reckons they are at a big disadvantage anyway. Most of the campaigns are being funded out of their own pockets as opposed to other parties, I think this is actually true.

4. personally believe that if certain people in the cash strapped councils had any balls they would pull any posters down themselves that are up early, and fine them something healthy like €100 per poster. This would mean eternal banishment to the cleaning supplies store for that council official but so what.

5. Saw Dave Robbins' posters in Donnybrook on MONDAY, tiny A4 page saying something about a meeting, his comment "everybody is at it" in the Indo was appalling at least.

6. The posters will come down after the election, the cable ties stay, makes my blood boil.

Advertisement