Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it illegal to remove candidate posters especially the Greens

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Never mind all this, the real question is, why did Deirdre de Búrca use a picture of her with such horrific pointing nostrils?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Marshy wrote: »
    Why aren't they allowed on bridges for example? That's the main one I have trouble understanding.
    Several reasons I can think of.

They are subject to much higher winds at that height, so far more likely to be blown off into incoming traffic. Many of the first ones up were blown off with high winds, many were half blown off.

Removal after the election has a very high risk of them dropping from that height into oncoming traffic. Most clip the cable ties and I presume let them fall to the ground. This would need at least 2 people to do safely, the people putting up the posters have more than proved their gross incompetence and lack of regard for safety. I expect the council share this opinion and think they would not be fit to remove ones at height. They are not even capable of picking up the cable ties afterwards, I would hold little hope for them doing anything properly.

I already mentioned the guy in the paper whos windscreen was smashed. These posters are not paper, some are particularly strong, and falling from that distance would have quite an impact. Most overhead bridges are there since traffic is very fast moving, like dual carriageways, the last thing people need is a poster plastered on their window at high speed.

The whole height restriction is in place to stop kids of vandals removing posters. I have seen several posters set on fire in my area, kids are less likely to carry a ladder around to vandalise stuff. These pedestrian bridge posters on dual carriageways are begging to be cut down by kids, posing a serious risk. Kids like to drop things from a height, and may even have as little respect for human life as these degenerates putting them there.

Last I can think of at the moment is that they are an unnecessary distraction to motorists travelling at speed, looking up to a height when they catch their eyes.

No other form of advertising would be permitted in many of the places you see these posters, why should there be an exemption for political advertising? what is so different? would you be happy to see coca-cola advertising all the way along the dual carriage ways and citys and towns like this?
    Marshy wrote: »
    But the law isn't always right. Its like if they started charging people for jay-walking tomorrow, it wouldn't stop me doing it.
    As I said before, the laws have to have a wide scope. This stops people finding loopholes. My friends brother was done for jaywalking on the N11. Most garda will turn a blind eye to jaywalking. There is no argument in court that the "law isn't always right", ignorance of the law is no defence. These parties knew they were breaking the law, if not they have no defence, to go out arrogantly thinking you can advertise where you want is shocking. Surely you would agree they should have contacted the county councils before setting out, or the gardai, or got their lawyers to check it out. People turn a blind eye to ripping mp3s etc, you will not see a political party advocating it. It is very bad form and unacceptable for them to be blatantly breaking the law, even if it was "pedantic", and in many cases it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

From Time.com

potw_06.jpg

Posters of Lebanese candidates for the June 7 parliamentary elections cover the facades of buildings in Tripoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

There's a Fianna fail candidate that's put the up in the estate I live in. I find something kinda strange and a bit intrusive putting up posters outside someone's house that's in a cul de sac.

Advertisement