Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone - block specific numbers

• 06-05-2009 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭

I'm going to change to 02 (tired of the crap vodafone reception) and I'd like to get a phone that can block specific numbers calling and texting me.

What handsets can I get with this feature? I don't really want to spend more than €80 (Speakeasy)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

None that I really know of have this feature. I know you can get software that does the job for the iPhone and series 60 nokias. Besides that I dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Some old samsungs used to have a feature to stop calls, dont think it could stop texts coming through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Why dont you get a new number and only give it to the people you want calls from as I dont think many phones has that feature and the ones that have would be expensive.

If you do consider changing your number, you may be interested in http://o2.nameyournumber.com/

You can choose a number, that might spell your name, or mean something to you etc. Doesn't cost anything apart from a €20 topup at the time which you can keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

None that I really know of have this feature. I know you can get software that does the job for the iPhone and series 60 nokias. Besides that I dunno

What software is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

mobius42 wrote: »
    What software is this?
    Ah I cant remember. I remember seein it on the app store or cydia. Blacklist or somethin maybe :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Thanks for the replies, I don't really want to change my number.

To give an update I called in to a Vodafone and an 02 shop today and asked them my original question. They both told me initially that it is not possible. Then I told them that I had heard it used to be possible on samsung handsets. More or less same reply from both assistants "oh yeah, it is possible on some samsungs" !!!

On vodafone they said it was available on the J700 (€90 online) I'm sure it was well over €100 in the shop and 02 said it wasn't available on the J700 (€60 online) again more expensive in the shop but can't remember the price, but I would be paying €120 for a samsung with this feature, with 02. So it seems that this number blocking feature is network dependent, if the info they gave me was correct!

Can anyone shed any light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

The nokia 1600 can do it. If you can find one new somewhere it won't cost you E50. They are well gone now and I only remember them being on meteor....but they have a number screening feature that numerous people accidentally added numbers too and were then shocked when same contacts couldn't call or text them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Blanc

Can you not just save a number to you phonebook and then add a * or whatever to the end and then you''ll never know when this number is ever calling you ?

Blanc wrote: »
    Can you not just save a number to you phonebook and then add a * or whatever to the end and then you''ll never know when this number is ever calling you ?

Im not sure what your getting at. If you mean private number, that if you are calling someone else.

*31# before the number will show your number and #31# will hide it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Blanc

Sorry i didn't explain it well but If you save a number to your phone book and then in the # section enter a single pause and nothing else.Then set the tone as silent ?

Thanks for all the replies, I'm still trying to get definite information.

I've already got the caller on silent, they leave voice messages and they can still text. The feature I'm looking for, will mean I can avoid this.

Apparently it is available on the Samsung J700 with Meteor too. Does anyone have the J700 with 02 to see if it is possible to check this feature? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Thanks for all the replies, I'm still trying to get definite information.

I've already got the caller on silent, they leave voice messages and they can still text. The feature I'm looking for, will mean I can avoid this.

Apparently it is available on the Samsung J700 with Meteor too. Does anyone have the J700 with 02 to see if it is possible to check this feature? Thanks

The feature you are referring to is a handset feature and not a network feature. It is available on a lot of Samsung handsets and as far as I was concerned, it was available on practically all of them; the ability to block incoming sms by number is also available on a lot of Samsung handsets. The Nokia 1600 and 2310 also have the ability to block incoming calls, but not incoming sms.

Thanks Rsaeire, I would have thought so too. But 02 are saying this feature is not available on Samsung J700, which I find strange now that I know it is, on Vodafone and Meteor.

None of the networks appear to be willing to give out this information, it's all very secretive!! I guess it's lost revenues for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Tocco can definitely do this for calls, but I'm not sure about texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Thanks Rsaeire, I would have thought so too. But 02 are saying this feature is not available on Samsung J700, which I find strange now that I know it is, on Vodafone and Meteor.

None of the networks appear to be willing to give out this information, it's all very secretive!! I guess it's lost revenues for them.

As it is a handset feature, the networks tend to stay away from offering much information, which is understandable, on handset features that they don't support. As you've confirmed that the J700 does have the feature, your best bet is to simply find someone with a Samsung handset that has the feature, who's on O2 and confirm that the feature works for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Yep, this is entirely a handset issue as mentioned already. Nothing to do with the networks. Most, if not all samsungs have this feature of blocking calls, some of the older nokias have this as well. I seem to remember hearing that LG's had a similar feature but i cant be sure. But definatly borrow a phone and test it out before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

some phones come with a feature called "screening"
    check it out in your phone shop, i rang vodafone and they told me this.

Thanks guys.

b28 Do you know what option screening comes under?

I don't know anyone with a Samsung J700 (cheapest option) on 02, to check this. So if there's anyone out there.........

Otherwise it's back to another 02 shop at the weekend, I just find them next to useless.

Advertisement