Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USE YOUR VOTE!!!

Options
  • 06-05-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I have a positive outlook on life (even in a recession!) but lately people have begun to drag me down with their constant complaining about the government, bankers, property developers etc that have ruined this country. there is an election in a months time and if you really want to change the way we are being governed I am pleading to you to USE YOUR VOTE! i don't know how many boards members are eligible to vote but those of you that are, the only way to send a clear message to those in power is to hurt them in the elections and show them that we are unhappy with the way things are. complaining won't change things, Voting will. Please use your vote.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

...arguable...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you are not registered to vote and have canvassers coming to your door you should be able to register with them. They will take your details and you can then vote for whoever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

How anyone could even remotely think of voting FF is beyond me. I shall be voting FG myself and was delighted to see George Lee has decided to put himself up as a candidate for them in Dublin South. I prefer FF's more Republican view but they are just a disaster in government and have been for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm going to use my vote to beat the living snot out of any FFailures that darken my door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I didnt vote FF at the last election and I wont be voting for them this time either. Now.. since no one has dared knock on my door how do i get registered in Galway, im registered in my home town and wont be going home again this time to vote too much hassle.

• Advertisement

I think you can register at the place on Prospect Hill, or the one on College Rd.
    Check http://www.registertovote.ie/

Check if you are on the register already http://www.galwaycity.ie/ereg/default.aspx
    edit: this is tricky to use, took me a while to get it to work, remember to fill in house number :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Nope! Not on it but thanks for the linky! must fill that out now on my days off!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

In order to be included in the supplement used at an election, your application must be received by your local authority at least 15 working days before polling day, June 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

...arguable...

Agreed to a degree, but the only way to turn the tide is for each citizen to push in the opposite direction to that that the powers that be seem to think is their divine right to steer us in regardless of consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Would like people to remember to be clever with your vote.

Just because you want to punish FF does not mean you should throw it at any old party. Probably the best way to hurt FF is to vote FG or Labour. Voting for anti European parties in the Euro elections hurts us all.

• Advertisement

Voting is one of the last freedoms we have. Make your own mind up and vote for whoever you think is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I would like to see FF out of power, but the fact remains that the alternatives to them dont fill with any more confidence than FF do.

I dont actually know what Il do with my vote, but if an FF member comes to my door (bar one), I will not speak to them...or maybe give them abuse. But that will probably go for any politican that comes to the door. They all have to be held accountable imho

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Magnus wrote: »
    Voting is one of the last freedoms we have. Make your own mind up and vote for whoever you think is best.

Or least bad in my experience!

If you want to transfer to Galway City or your local ward in time for this election you need to fill in a form

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/CorporateServices/RegisterofElectors/SupplementtotheElectoralRegister/

and get it signed at the local Garda station and pop it in to City Hall. I know that these forms say 06/07 but they work grand (or at least did for us).

We had three different politicians promising to sort this for us and not one of them followed through, that'll save me some biro ink on transfers to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I think you can register at the place on Prospect Hill, or the one on College Rd.
    Check http://www.registertovote.ie/

Check if you are on the register already http://www.galwaycity.ie/ereg/default.aspx
    edit: this is tricky to use, took me a while to get it to work, remember to fill in house number :-)

What's the place on Prospect Hill and College Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

moonflower wrote: »
    What's the place on Prospect Hill and College Road?

Council offices:

Go to Prospect Hill if you live in Galway County, or College Rd if you live in the Galway City. Don't try going to the other one just to pick up a form, 'cos they won't give it out (well the country office won't anyway, maybe the city is friendlier).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

JustMary wrote: »
    Council offices:

Go to Prospect Hill if you live in Galway County, or College Rd if you live in the Galway City. Don't try going to the other one just to pick up a form, 'cos they won't give it out (well the country office won't anyway, maybe the city is friendlier).

I think I know where the one on Prospect hill is, but where's the one on College road?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

moonflower wrote: »
    I think I know where the one on Prospect hill is, but where's the one on College road?
    City Hall. Walk up the hill from the Square, it's on your left. If you reach the Sportsground, you've gone too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Use your vote, but please god dont vote for Libertas!!

City Hall closes at 4pm by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Is there going to be some kind of meeting where we get to hear what the candidates' platform is?

Because I don't really know any of the people running and I'm not just going to vote based on which party they're from... besides I need to know my second and third and so on choices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Das Kitty wrote: »
    City Hall closes at 4pm by the way.
    And it must kill them. Last time I was in the Motor Tax Office in the county buildings, they closed at 3:30 after having 1h15m for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

Robbo wrote: »
    And it must kill them. Last time I was in the Motor Tax Office in the county buildings, they closed at 3:30 after having 1h15m for lunch.

yeah and they don't open until 10!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm suprised the student unions have not put forward a candidate given their oppostion to fees. It would only take around a 1000 voting students who'd transfer their votes here to get a member elected to City Hall.
    It'd be a protest vote plus given that there a huge student population in Galway, it'd only be fair to have a representative

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

snubbleste wrote: »
    I'm suprised the student unions have not put forward a candidate given their oppostion to fees. It would only take around a 1000 voting students who'd transfer their votes here to get a member elected to City Hall.
    It'd be a protest vote plus given that there a huge student population in Galway, it'd only be fair to have a representative

That would be great... I'd love to see the debate in chamber with Michael "Useless" Crowe over Rag Week... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I will

Here are listing of those running in the three wards of the city:

West
    East
    Central

There's also info on the European Candidates on there, but that's not Galway City Specific.

To Find out which Ward you'll be voting under there's a map here

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Xiney wrote: »
    Is there going to be some kind of meeting where we get to hear what the candidates' platform is?

Because I don't really know any of the people running and I'm not just going to vote based on which party they're from... besides I need to know my second and third and so on choices.
    I'd like to see this too, I've never once met any of these guys just been handed their flyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Damn.. My street is not on the list! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Funny how all the politicans promised "NO ELECTION POSTERS" but now the city is again awash with that ****.

• Advertisement

Funny how all the politicans promised "NO ELECTION POSTERS" but now the city is again awash with that ****.
    They discussed it and then decided not to. I think they agreed to take it handy on the posters in the vicinity of the Volvo Ocean Race events but that's it.

How will we know how to vote for Padraig Conneely without a picture of his sexy face attached to lamp posts?

Advertisement