Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview questions

• 06-05-2009 10:57am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been called at very short notice to an interview for a psychology course. It's a postgrad conversion course, and I'm just wondering what type of questions they're likely to ask. I don't have time to arrange a mock interview with my careers service unfortunately. Do you think it would be normal interview questions like "What are your strengths and weaknesses" and "Why do you want to study psychology?", or broad, world-news type ones like they do for medicine and things? A friend of mine interviewed for medicine and got asked how she'd resolve the situation in the middle East! I imagine it probably won't be that hard, as demand isn't as high, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be great.

(P.S. If anyone remembers my last thread asking for help with my application statement, I obviously did something right, so thanks!)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great, well done.

We had no interview at all, only a paper application for the TCD course. It's hard to know what they might ask, the obvious areas might be your background (neuroscience?) and your CV and how they've merged or taken you to where you're at today? What would you bring to the course, why are you interested in, but also if you've any clinical or research experience...you might get quizzed on that too, what you took from it etc. I suppose like any of these things they're trying to get a feel for who you are beyond what you've filled in on paper.

I once had an interview and was asked about the new penalty points system for motorists that was coming in at the time. It was completely unrelated to the job, but, as with your friend I think it was to see if I was up to speed (forgive the pun) on current affairs or could go on a bit about something not related to the post.

Found this thread by accident via Google, might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Hi Faith

I have an HR background, not academic, but I've just been offered a place to to an MSc in Psychology so my thoughts might be worth something.

As an interviewer I look for genuine interest in the position / area in question and a history of working towards it, or demonstrable evidence of your interest. I'd be ready to talk through your CV / application form, emphasising why you're a fit for the course and why you're likely to be able to complete it. Passion counts too as does having a plan of what to do with the qualification once obtained.

Its a bit of a cliche but something that was quoted to me years ago, I still think of....that being past achievements equals future performance.

What you'd bring to the course might be a good talking point...personality, passion, prior experience.

Passion, honesty, logical thinking and fit are what interviewers are looking for.....as well as 'red flags' as in things that might make you a risky choice.......e.g. courses uncompleted in the past, dodgy academics, lack of a life plan......none of the above being deal breakers, providing you can explain anything in your application thats less favourable.

Hope that helps and sorry its not more structured. Probably a key thing to bear in mind is that they'd not want to meet with you, if they weren't seriously interested in you as a candidate. Time is precious and I've rarely interviewed 'for fun' in my whole career. My point being, I'd guess that you're already part of the way to a place and all you have to do is confirm for them, that offering you a place is a good move on their part.

Good luck! Be interested to hear how you get on, if you feel like sharing that.

Max :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks for both of your replies! I am hoping that by being short-listed for an interview that they're already quite interested in me (*fingers crossed*). I have the great advantage of being a good interviewee, largely due to years of training by my mum who teaches interview techniques, so as long as the questions are fairly straight-forward, I should be okay. I have a career plan and I've already researched it a bit, so I'm not worried about them asking about that. I'll just keep an eye on the papers over the next few days, just in case.

The interview is Monday morning, so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Cool, good luck! Don't forget the 'ol eye contact stuff, but I guess you have that sorted already. Next thing you'll know you'll be tracking down reading lists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Doghouse

I did one of these for the conversion hdip in UCD. I wound myself into knots about it beforehand but actually as far as I remember it was grand with no difficult or odd questions. It was mostly just 'what's your background', 'what's your interest in psychology' and 'why would you like to do this course'. I think I was also asked what I expected the course to be like so make sure to have a look at the course descriptor on the website if you're unsure. But yeah, pretty basic stuff. I think they did ask what type of research I'd done previously (as in, for my undergrad thesis...nothing too in-depth) and what aspects of the course did I foresee as being potentially most difficult for me. I was also asked about how I'd afford it. Hmm, that's pretty much all I can remember. Best of luck with your interview!

• Advertisement

After all that, the interview was just really informal and relaxed. I think it went quite well, but they were exceptionally friendly interviewers, so I'm not taking them laughing at my jokes as anything particularly positive. I should hear in a few weeks anyway.

And... I got it!! So much for waiting 2 weeks to hear! Absolutely delighted :D.

Yay, well done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

+1 Congrats! :)

Advertisement