Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 mb trials in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agentino

I was watching a program on BBC the other night and they were detailing how in Korea speeds of up to a GB are planned in the next 12 months.
    Just goes to show how much of a joke we are with our "Smart Economy"
    They also showed the apartments in Wembley London that have 100MB speed built in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hmm, well that's just a limited trial in the UK. UPC customers will be getting 120mbps cable broadband in Ireland by the end of this year.

would 200mbps make any real world difference over 120mbps?

anyway, any progress in the EU can only be a good thing and it's going to help push everyone else forward IMHO, just like the UPC 120mbps rollout will push forward other Irish ISP's to compete (if they can).

you have to think back a few short years to when 512mbps broadband was a luxury most people in Ireland couldn't even get. :)

(actually, i'm pretty sure quite a lot fo people in Ireland still can't get broadband, but hopefully that will be a thing of the past soon enough).

they've had 1gb FTTH in some part of japan for a couple of years now. it's all moving forward though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I'd rather live in Ireland and have a 10Mb connection TBH! :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not saying they will, but if Virgin can do 200mbps over DOCSIS 3, then there is no reason why UPC can't do the same.

In fact Virgin is getting this speed using 4 bonded channels using DOCSIS 3 and in the Netherlands, UPC also use 4 bonded channels using DOCSIS 3.

So really the only difference between UPC's 120mb product and VM's 200mb is the artificial cap they have chosen to put on the product and I think UPC has put a more realistic cap on their product. Think about it, if most people can get 20mbps out of one channel (DOCSIS 1.1), then making it 4 channels should mean that you should be able to get 80mbps.

I think UPC and VM offer higher speeds then 80mbps, as most people don't sign up to these higher speed products, therefore there is less congestion on the other three channels and also even those who do sign up, probably don't come close to maximising the speeds of these products.

Actually this brings up an interesting question, I wonder is DOCSIS 3 designed to use the bandwidth on the three other channels not normally used by DOCSIS 1.1, before using bandwidth on the DOCSIS 1.1 channel?

The reason I wonder, is this could greatly improve performance for both light users and heavy users as heavy users will tend to pay the extra for DOCSIS 3 and therefore have more channels to use, which will be less congested as they aren't sharing with the large number of light users and if DOCSIS 3 works cleverly, then the light users won't have to share with the heavy DOCSIS 3 users. Quiet clever if it worked that way, anyone know?

Also worth pointing out, that the DOCSIS 3 spec also supports 8 channel bonding, so in future we could even see these speeds double!! Damn I wish I had cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the wikipedia page on docsis has a heap of information that might well answer your question.

i was gonna have a look through it again, but i'm kinda busy at work. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

agentino wrote: »
    I was watching a program on BBC the other night and they were detailing how in Korea speeds of up to a GB are planned in the next 12 months.
    Just goes to show how much of a joke we are with our "Smart Economy"
    They also showed the apartments in Wembley London that have 100MB speed built in

Saw that too. Click? It was interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

agentino wrote: »
    You're running at speeds higher than a high end hdd at that speed. Currently anything over 400Mb/s would cause problems with an average home machine not being able to write the file as fast as you're downloading it.

Advertisement