Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Slaney Phones - Where to buy?

Options
  • 06-05-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I want to buy a couple of the slaney corded phones which eircom rent to people but cannot find anywhere that sells them. I have asked Eircom if I could buy the phones from them but they will only rent them. As the phone is for an elderly person who is used to this type of phone I want to get the same phone as Eircom supply. Attached is a picture of the exact phone I am looking for - if anyone knows somewhere I could buy them new please let me know :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Slaney phones as far as I know were supplied soley to Eircom and other big networks. I dont think you can buy them. I aint seen one in years. Id look for one of the phones that is specifically designed for older people re: bigger buttons and screen, earpiece enabled and has lights for people with hearing problems. the slaney were a solid phone but crude and basic, not really friendly to the elderly in my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

Thanks FusionNet - having checked several places I was thinking I would not find one. The main thing I need is the speed dial buttons down the side - I have found several phones which are designed for older people but not exactly what I'm looking for. If anyone knows of somewhere I could get the slaney phones or something almost identical I would really appreciate it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

The Eircom Slaney dates back to 1993 when it was launched as the BT Relate 200, the series was manufactured in Wales by Nortel Networks and began life in Ireland with Telecom Eireann and continued after privatisation until sometime up around 2001 to 2002 rebadged as the Eircom Comfort. After these Eircom introduced a series of phones known as the Eircom Perform and they were made in China and generally regarded as absolute rubbish compared to the previous tried and trusted make. Eircom are not offering Telephone rental to new customers anymore as far as I know. Slaney/Comfort phones are still in use in a lot of households today as they were well built and while the technology is outdated it works well on the POTS still. They were very popular due to the quality and fact that they were rented out to Eircoms monopoly customers so most houses nearly got one. Lightening being the biggest killer.

Most Eircom Engineers should have one of these but amazingly they are still in demand and some is even looking for its cousin the Avoca on gumtree.ie.

Your best bet is either an Eircom technican or try freecycle someone there may have one. I will check a box of old phone, faxes and modems I keep in my attic to see what I have tomorrow also to see if I can be of any help.

Alternatively something like the BT Converse 1200 would be about its contemporary equivalent and can be got in a few different places online. BT also sell them direct; whether to Ireland or not I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Barty wrote: »
    I want to buy a couple of the slaney corded phones which eircom rent to people but cannot find anywhere that sells them. I have asked Eircom if I could buy the phones from them but they will only rent them. As the phone is for an elderly person who is used to this type of phone I want to get the same phone as Eircom supply. Attached is a picture of the exact phone I am looking for - if anyone knows somewhere I could buy them new please let me know :)

Barty i'm sure I have one of these buried somewhere, i'll try dig it out and if i come across it i'll PM you. Be glad to give it a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

netwhizkid wrote: »
    The Eircom Slaney dates back to 1993 when it was launched as the BT Relate 200, the series was manufactured in Wales by Nortel Networks and began life in Ireland with Telecom Eireann and continued after privatisation until sometime up around 2001 to 2002 rebadged as the Eircom Comfort. After these Eircom introduced a series of phones known as the Eircom Perform and they were made in China and generally regarded as absolute rubbish compared to the previous tried and trusted make.

Attached a picture of a Comfort 100, I bought it to replace a Slaney that had been exposed to water, slow slow demise..

The Comfort was okay mounted vertically, the buttons had less play than the Slaney. I hated the phone flat though, you had to check that the reciever was resting properly back on the main body of the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I need new glasses..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

Thanks very much for all the information :)
    Netwhizkid - the BT Converse 1200 White Corded Phone might do, will have to check with the person - thanks for the detailed post.
    Civildefence - if you do find that you have an old slaney phone please PM me. However, the person has three phones in the house, all Slaney ones and if I change them out then I'd like to have them all the same. If you have 3 then that would be great ;)
    Amalgam - thanks for the suggestion - I really want to get a phone with a layout as close as possible to the slaney one (with the speeddial down the side and as few other buttons as possible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Telecom Eireann's old phones were all made by very reputable manufacturers, mostly by Nortel (aka Northern Telecom). But, also by other major manufactures including Ericsson, Siemens, Alcatel etc.

The old dial phones were in fact a North American classic Bell-System 500 phone made by Northern Telecom for P&T.

These typically lasted 60+ years and could be used as a weapon in the event of break-in. They were practically indestructible!

They were all excellent handsets and built to last as they were rented out and designed give at least 20 years service.

Unfortunately, nobody operates that business model anymore and almost all modern handsets are cheap crap, including those rebadged for BT, they're all made in China and really rubbishy build.

On the other hand, eircom's cordless phones are mostly Siemens and are pretty decent.

If you want to get your hands on a well-made Analogue handset, you might consider one of these :

http://www.eircombusinesssystems.ie/prod_make.asp?id=247

They're robust and easy to use, and still made by Siemens to a good quality level.

Alternatively, try finding something online.

http://www.homeline.ie/product_4.html

These guys seem to have quite a few decent phones.

Some of the GE handsets are quite ok, by modern standards.

http://www.homeline.ie/product_2.html

Also, the Panasonic phones are built like old-style 1970s/80s phones. Pretty robust.

Advertisement