Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C905 on 3 - SIP

• 06-05-2009 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭

I am considering getting a new phone and the most important thing to me is that the phone has a SIP client. Can anyone tell me if the C905 on 3 has a SIP client or is it removed.

If it is removed, can anyone recommend a phone with a SIP client on any network?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well its has skype if thats any use to you.

I dont think they disable sip on their mobiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

No it's SIP not Skype I'm interested in. They may not but I know they block quite a bit with their internet service. It did occur to me that Wi-fi probably has different rules though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

paulm17781 wrote: »
    No it's SIP not Skype I'm interested in. They may not but I know they block quite a bit with their internet service. It did occur to me that Wi-fi probably has different rules though.

Yes, wifi wouldnt be restricted. In my experience vodafone restrict more than the other networks. If you do buy it and are not happy you can get a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

SE phones do not have a built in SIP client. None of them. Get a symbian phone, they have excellent SIP implementation over 3g or wifi.

flodis79 wrote: »
    SE phones do not have a built in SIP client. None of them. Get a symbian phone, they have excellent SIP implementation over 3g or wifi.

According to http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_c905_8mp-review-258p3.php they do. There are a bunch of other sites that mention it too. Although no one seems to have much luck getting it working... This may need more research...

• Advertisement

They have a sip stack and settings for sip can be entered. The problem is there is no client that is working. Minifring does not support sip, nimbuzz has no java client with sip, and there is no way to use other apps than java on the SE phones.

flodis79 wrote: »
    They have a sip stack and settings for sip can be entered. The problem is there is no client that is working. Minifring does not support sip, nimbuzz has no java client with sip, and there is no way to use other apps than java on the SE phones.

Thank you.

So if I want to use SIP, I am better off getting a Nokia?

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Thank you.

So if I want to use SIP, I am better off getting a Nokia?

yes, i'd say so. Some of the E series would do. Perhaps e63,51,71 or 66. All have sip client seamlessly built in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Have a look at the phones that support full Fring - it does SIP quite nicely. My issue with the native client and Nimbuzz is that they are both savage on battery life.

Advertisement