Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best compact for easy P&S (for wife) with good features (for me)?

Options
  • 06-05-2009 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Panasonic FZ28 which I like but I want a compact for when I don't have the FZ28 on me (carry in pocket around town etc.).

I want it to be able to take good pics easily so my wife can use it without having to tweek it too much BUT also want good features so that I can use it as a good substitute for my FZ28 (macro, ISO settings etc, bracketing etc.)

Some that get good reviews are the
    Fuji Finepiz F100FD
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5- I really like the size of optical zoom- 10X
    Canon IXUS 870 IS
    Canon PowerShot A2000 IS

I'd consider 2nd hand as well as new, budget would be about €200 max.

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

/Off topic, For some reason, I read your title as 'best compact for easy wife with good features' !! he he :o:p:D /

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have you looked at the DP Review Selector? Pick the features that you want & press the button.

I got a Canon G9 for the purpose you described. My list was Manual, RAW, Hotshoe, Good Glass. It ticked all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

The purpose of this information isn't to educate you about cameras or suggest ones that may address your needs; it's to show you that there are probably far better avenues of inquiry for your problem than blindly asking vague questions on a message board.

First and foremost: Google; you'll probably find an answer to your question much faster if you actually look for one as opposed to wait and hope someone provides one for you. Also, there is already a sticky called "FAQs - Read this before posting!!!" that contains much information you will probably find useful including the first item, titled "What camera should I buy?".

If you have a general inquiry about what kind of camera might be appropriate for your needs: there is already a huge amount of information available on what kind of camera may be right for you. At time of writing, the first two results are "How to Buy a Digital Camera" and "Should you buy a DSLR or Point and Shoot Digital Camera?"; this information probably addresses any sort of generic question you may have about buying a digital camera.

If you have an enquiry about a specific model of camera or about what model of camera may be appropriate for your needs and budget: consult Amazon. Amazon maintains a list of their most popular cameras and also offers information on and reviews of a vast number of cameras. If you want to know what others think of a camera: search for it on Amazon and read the reviews.

It is important to understand that there are a huge number of models of cameras, particularly smaller, cheaper, consumer-level cameras. It is very, very unlikely that someone who frequents this message board has had extensive experience with the exact model of camera you are considering buying and will be able to provide any information other than a cursory opinion on whether or not it may meet a specific requirement you have stipulated.

If you honestly believe you have reasonably exhausted several rational lines of inquiry your question is most welcome, but please try and make it as specific and informative as possible with regards to your existing knowledge in the matter, budget, and needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

G9 here too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi Charydbis,

thanks for the input; I have done my homework and most of the cameras I've mentioned are my 'short list'.

I suppose I'm kind of wondering if anyone has a compact that they would recommend/fits into what I'm looking for.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭iceax

Canon IXUS 970 IS . cant complain one little bit on this unit.
    its every bit as good as my nikon D80 .

Advertisement