Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB (interest rates)

Options
  • 06-05-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I took out a 100% mortgage of €390,000 with PTSB just under two years ago. It was fixed for two years, this is coming to an end in September. We had fixed at 5.2%. Does anybody have an idea of what rate I will be offered now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ferga_com

Most likely 3.4% or 3.5% variable, depending on the product you were on at the start. This may be affected by ECB rate changes in the interim - may come down a little if the ECB drop rates by 0.25% as expected tomorrow.

They should also offer you fixed rate options but these won't be known until nearer the time.

Permanent TSB should write to you in August or early September with your options.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sorry to hijack this a bit but I came off a fixed @ 4.75% and PTSB sent a letter stating that my new interest rate would be ECB + max 2.25 % now obviously they have charged the max of ECB + 2.25%. They say they make the % figure on LTV ratio, is there anyway around this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ferga_com

You could tell them that their rate is uncompetitive in the current market and that you're thinking of switching. They might reduce your rate to keep your business but I hear that many banks are not negotiating at present due to credit crunch related issues.

After that, if your loan is <=92% of your home's current value, you could investigate the possibility of switching lender. If you can get a better rate, you might recoup the cost of switching through lower repayments.

Your rate at present sounds like a tracker, i.e. it cannot go above 2.25% + ECB. You cannot buy a tracker at the moment so while alternative rates might be better right now, they might possibly put them up in the future.

Advertisement