Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Newspaper Describes "Third World" Limerick

Options
  • 06-05-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Link is here

Can't seem to link to the Babelfish translated page- but go work it out here.

Although be warned, the translation is very rough - here's a snippet describing our wonderful Mayor Johnny G.
    BabelFish wrote:
    „Let it grenade thrower have, we get it all “, says mayors Gilligan, while it puts its feet on the table in its office, where already a glass wine stands.

So our Mayor sits around drinking at any hour of the day with "its" feet on the table - classic :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by BabelFish
    „Let it grenade thrower have, we get it all “, says mayors Gilligan, while it puts its feet on the table in its office, where already a glass wine stands

The German translation of English is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Latchy wrote: »

The German translation of English is terrible

It was always going to be.

Example

Es Tut Mir Leid ( Im sorry ) actually translates into "It pains me to know."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Berty wrote: »
    In the same way as JFK who on his trip to Berlin said ' Ich bin ein berliner ' which came out as ' I am a hamburger '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Raiser wrote: »
    So our Mayor sits around drinking at any hour of the day

Maybe it meant a "wine glass" ? No indication of whether or not it's full or half-empty.

Or make it's just a wine stand made of glass ?

If you've ever read translated assembly instructions you'd know that translations have as much credibility as a Fianna Fail minister. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Latchy wrote: »
    In the same way as JFK who on his trip to Berlin said ' Ich bin ein berliner ' which came out as ' I am a hamburger '

Urban Legend.

That phrase was not misunderstood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Jumpy wrote: »
    Urban Legend.

That phrase was not misunderstood.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/historical/a/jfk_berliner.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

where already a glass wine stands
    With the whiskey nose on him, I doubt it was a glass of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

times are bad when ze germans are having a go at us,

on a very serious note who are they to say anything, world war 2 anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't mention the war!

dontmention2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

Raiser wrote: »
    Although be warned, the translation is very rough - here's a snippet describing our wonderful Mayor Johnny G.
    The roughest looking Mayor in history. Dresses like he's homeless at the best of times :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Didn't know where to put this, and there's no point opening a new thread on it, but yet another example of media bias against Limerick. From the Breaking News Website this morning:
    Man shot in gangland attack

One man was shot dead and two others injured in a suspected gangland attack today.

The shooting took place at around 3am in the Artane area of north Dublin.

It is understood the men were rushed to the nearby Beaumont Hospital after the attack.

Gardaí said the attack took place at an apartment complex at Brookwood Grove.

The dead man, in his early 20s, arrived at Beaumont shortly after the attack but died later from his injuries.

Two other men, also in their 20s, were being treated for gunshot wounds but it is not believed their injuries are life-threatening.

The crime scene at the Brookwood complex has been preserved for forensic examination.

Detectives believe the men may have been ambushed by a gunman at the underground car park below the apartment block.

It is also believed the dead man and one of the injured associate’s drove themselves to Beaumont after the shooting while the third man was picked up by an ambulance and taken to hospital.

It is the 12th gun murder this year – the vast majority linked to gang feuds.

Last month, however, Limerick businessman Roy Collins was shot dead at his family-run gaming arcade. It is feared he was singled out by one of the city’s crime gangs because a relative gave evidence in court against a gangland figure four years ago.

It's as if they throw it in to remind people in Dublin that it could be worse, you could be living in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Maybe it meant a "wine glass" ? No indication of whether or not it's full or half-empty.

Or make it's just a wine stand made of glass ?

I didn't think the Mayor drank.

The Co-ordination Office have been quick to respond, see page 3 of the latest Limerick Post, a link to the digital edition is here.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/digitaleditions.aspx?tab=0&pid=16d2df0b-b84b-4602-a4f3-05634de2cff3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Didn't know where to put this, and there's no point opening a new thread on it, but yet another example of media bias against Limerick. From the Breaking News Website this morning:

It's as if they throw it in to remind people in Dublin that it could be worse, you could be living in Limerick.

That story was I believe the 4th headline on RTE news on Thursday.
    After the story about the Norweigan refferee being "smuggled" out of London!

Three people shot, one dead, on the streets of our capital, keeping up this years tally of almost a murder a week in Dublin (13 gangland killings alone in the first 3 months in Dub), and it's the 4th story on the news!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Berty wrote: »
    It was always going to be.

Example

Whats german for Im sorry then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

O.A.P wrote: »
    Whats german for Im sorry then?
    He just said it

Sorry=> Es tut mir leid

A lot of germans might say entschuldigung which translates into ''Excuse me'' in cases were we would say ''sorry'''''''

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Quiet frankly I am sick of this bias against Limerick from the Berlin based media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Tinytony wrote: »
    Quiet frankly I am sick of this bias against Limerick from the Berlin based media.

And not to mention those biased Frankfurt meeja!!!

Advertisement