Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 short ??

Options
  • 06-05-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

lads I'm interested in the .22 short rifle round. I've gathered from some US sites that it can be used in .22 lr bolt actions, would anyone here agree and where could I get some of these??

Looking to use them around farm buildings the 29gr cb is quoted as 33lbs of energy and 720 ft/sec so your in to high power air rifle area there.

Thanks,

Fish slapped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

.22CB and .22short are two different cartridges.
    I would think it very unlikely that you will find any CB ammo here apart from stuff of historical interest.
    Could you not just pull a few .22 subs and depower them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

This would involve being very exact on the amount of powder I was using so as not to undercharge and trying to maintian a consistant burn. I would rather buy some .22 short if that were possible.

Thanks CJ.

Buy some CCI rat shot in .22lr That should do the trick at short range and carry less risk than a solid projectile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Can you get the rat shot?? :confused:

Have you asked any target shooters? I know that some olympic guns are chambered for .22 short.
    Ask RRPC or Sparks if it is available, if it is, it will be in solid point I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The olympic rapid-fire pistol event used to be chambered for .22 short, but they changed over to .22lr a few years ago.

I wouldn't go hunting rats with a .22 short indoors. They're shorter-range than the .22lr, technically, but since the lethal range of a .22lr is over a mile, it's a bit academic indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hairy Hunter

Hi,

I know that the Famous Geoff Cooney in Wilkinstown:p, has some of the C-Bees low power rounds and rat shot, I was there on Monday.

Personnally, I wouldn't be into either, C-Bees or rat shot, get a airrifle.

HH:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

smiths argo enniscorthy have them, RWS

I was looking at an air rifle but thats another licence and the price of another gun/scope and all the hassle that goes with it. What the kill range of the rat shot??
    or would it kill??

Thank for all the replies.

FS

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

Can you get the rat shot?? :confused:

definitely, bought 50 about 2 months ago, at 20c a pop its not cheap. they have no.12 shot in them, range at most 7-8m if even that, only ever used it at about 3 or 4 metres myself on pigeons inside sheds- as i said before, feathered rats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'd say they (the ceebees or shorts) ricochet fairly well :D

Hi,

I know that the Famous Geoff Cooney in Wilkinstown:p, has some of the C-Bees low power rounds and rat shot, I was there on Monday.

Personnally, I wouldn't be into either, C-Bees or rat shot, get a airrifle.

HH:pac:

Good to know.
    I use .22 subs for rats, in an accurate rifle (Anschutz 1416) they seem effective, well the rats haven't made any complaints yet:)
    I just wonder about accuracy of CB ammo in a .22LR chamber?
    Unless of course you have a CB chambered rifle?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

CJ do you notice any damage to the lands from using that stuff in your rifle?

Not really, it is only soft lead.
    It patterns strangely though I think the rifling must act on the shot and spins it into an O shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Not really, it is only soft lead.
    It patterns strangely though I think the rifling must act on the shot and spins it into an O shape.

Similar to this, I seen on some shotgun manufacturers website, a shotgun that had one smooth barrel and one barrel with rifling in it, as far as i remember they claimed this helped spread the shot quicker for close range shots, think it was for shots in a forest (not too sure on that) i'll take a quick look and see if i can find it again. i know that you can get rifled barrels for using with slugs, but i think this was different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

I have a container of RWS BB Caps that I bought in Watts about 15 years ago. I only ever used about 40 of them. Main reason? HOPELESSLY inaccurate at 25yds. Also, even though the only propellant was the primer in the rim (no powder at all) the BB would go clean through galvanise roofing sheets at 25 yds.
    The .22 short is less powerful than the .22LR but my guess is that it would not be safe to use these in a farmyard situation. Perhaps look at the manufacturers info and see what velocities /kinetic energies are developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Beat me to it Milkerman on the CB caps.
    You must have had a powerful batch there.I remember shooting one years ago at 4mm steel at appx 10 meters and all it did was bulge it,not even penetrate it.
    All these CB caps and rat shot isnt really designed for 22 rifles.They are more commonly used in so called "garden guns" which are made[?] by Flobert .These are usually smoothbore for either rat shot or CB ball.
    Sure you can use them but it is like saying you can put vegtable oil in your cars engine as a multigrade oil replacement.Oil is oil and any oil is better than none at all.But I wouldnt want veggie oil in my oil pan for a trans continental trip.Same as I wouldnt be too happy using rat shot in a rifled barrel,it will eventually damage the lands,and as CJ said the pattern is hopelessly open.
    Best thing for rats either flying or running MO a .410. It wont over penetrate in a barn ,unless you are firing point blank up against the galvanised.

Sounds like somone is building old "paradox" guns again.
    A double 12 GA one barrel is rifled for a 12GA bullet[not a slug in this case,an actual bullet] and a 12 GA smoothbore for shot.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Milkerman, thats top info and settles it , I guess it'll have to be an airrifle!!!!

Cheers lads.

FS

Advertisement