Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cois Fharraige cancelled?

• 06-05-2009 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

DId i hear on phantom that Cois Fharraige was cancelled this year?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BornLippy

I did think I heard them say that it was cancelled yesterday on Pure Morning! Haven't been able to find anything else about it being cancelled online though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Stemoney

They were talking about another festival because Cois Fharraige had been cancelled but i cant find anything on the net about it...

Does anyone know if its really cancelled? if so could they point to the source.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Well Electric Picnic is on the corresponding weekend this year, the 4-6 Sept. That leaves Cois Fharraige organisers with a bit of a date dilemma as the overall festival mood of both is a little bit more non-mainstream/mature than "The Thing on the Weekend of the Marches Up North". :rolleyes: I certainly haven't heard anything about this year's Cois Fharraige being cancelled but given the schedule conflict I can completely understand if the organisers decided to pull it. I was there last year and despite the hurricane on Friday night it was actually a really well-organised, well-run and sociable festival, Kilkee was alive all weekend, great craic down on the main street and in the tent at night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lola2009

I see AIB are offering weekend tickets to Cois Fharraige in a competition so there's still hope. I know the organisers were concerned they wouldn't get the numbers this year. Hopefully they'll realise we need a bit of fun instead of doom & gloom & go ahead with it. It was absolutely brilliant last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Macartan

Last I heard it had been cancelled. Have been to last two and went and phoned up the guy we usually stay with in April. Apparently Sony Ericsson are not sponsoring this year and they haven't been able to find a new one in time for the 11th-13th window. Real shame was a really good weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I'm not surprised to hear Sony Ericsson pulled out. It was a great festival, great local return but I sincerely doubt it was worth SE's while sponsoring, at least Diageo and MTV know they're set to make a mint when they sponsor/broadcast the festival that shall not be named.
    It's a pity that music festivals are so heavily reliant on big-name sponsorship, although smaller regional festivals like Le Cheile in Co. Meath have survived for years without (as far as I know) any big-name sponsors. Maybe you'll see Cois Fharraige take on a similar format, one international act over the weekend, 3 or 4 great Irish acts and then a handful of up-and-coming Irish acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Just came across this...

http://wordpress.hotpress.com/festivalnews/category/cois-fharraige-2009/

I'd heard the same, that Sony Ericson had pulled sponsorship. But looking good again for flooded tent on the Friday and a scorcher weekend?

Great festival, great town, great atmosphere!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

There's always this if not: http://www.seasessions.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rocker999

Bought tickets to seasessions last week. Anbody else going. Seems good lineup. Prepared to car pool with anyone headin across. Like the fact the festival seems independent

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shore Thing

• Advertisement

There was a meeting yesterday. The Festival is going ahead.... According to sources in Kilkee. Local businesses and benefactors are after grouping together and helped to organise some level of finance toward helping the festival to go ahead....

Whoo hooo Hope... Can't wait!!! It'll knock socks of sea sessions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shore Thing

Who are your sources in Kilkee loctite....heard any rumours about bands or anything?

I wouldn't care to divulge,but they are close to MCD either way, but I certainly know that my employer is one of the local businesses which have pledged quite a few quid to ensure that it is coming to town..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dids6457

As of a meeting Monday....The football pitch has been offered, business' in the twn are clubbing together for a portion of the costs...just depends now on what bands if any mcd can get at this stage! FIngers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

Who are your sources in Kilkee loctite....heard any rumours about bands or anything?

I'm from Kilkee and this is true. They had a meeting about sponsorship from the local businesses,my boss went and agreed,supposedly still on for the 11th,cant wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hpvs17e

Cois Farraige is back on the weekend of 11th of sept. the last 2 years were great, dont no the line up yet. i stayed in the ocean cove hotel great value and great service. i have booked it already for this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

Thats fantastic news. Sea Sessions was great but its a totlly different vibe to Kilkee.

Cant wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lilmiss

Check out www.knockanstockan.ie
    Line up looks pretty cool and its only 65euro for the 3 days camping..BYO as well..they even have a shuttle bus to the offie!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fright

Does anyone have any more news on this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Cois Farraige is back on the weekend of 11th of sept. the last 2 years were great, dont no the line up yet. i stayed in the ocean cove hotel great value and great service. i have booked it already for this year
    Just wondering where you booked yours cant find tickets on line any where??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Macartan

Has there been any word since seems to be a bit late to be annoucing it now?

I think the initial problem was the sponsorship deal which was solved with local business, but I think the venue and license hadn't been granted.

There are positive signs that the location for the event has been confirmed with an agreement being reached with the local GAA and that the license has been granted. Heard this @ lunch time yesterday.

No news on Lineup, but it is looking like it is definitely going ahead now. I would expect to see/hear advertising any day now....

I really do hope that they announce this soon. To be honest I don't mind what the lineup will be as I'd still go for the laid back atmosphere and lack of pubescent teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭macheda

Fright wrote: »
    I really do hope that they announce this soon. To be honest I don't mind what the lineup will be as I'd still go for the laid back atmosphere and lack of pubescent teenagers.

Whats the latest on this does anyone know? has it been cofirmed yet?

I was talking to one of the Kilkee organisers today. Clare CoCo has granted the licence for the event and all money that was requested has been put up by local businesses. It's now in MCD'd hands but they seem to be dragging their feet, like they're looking for a way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

I can't figure out why they are stalling the advertising, or sorting out some sort of line up.
    It might be hard to get acts at such late notice but you'd think if MCD wanted to they'd have it up and running by now.

It's August and there isn't even a mention on the MCD website and they haven't set up the website for the festival either: I have my doubts that Cois Fharraige will go ahead at this late stage...

It's a pity because there was really good craic at both years of it and a genuine non-skangerish, D4 heads in the minority type of a crowd where people were around for the music and the fun. Great times!

Just got a text from a good source in Kilkee, I was told to listen to Today FM tomorrow for an official announcement....... fingers crossed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

So is this going ahead? Mate was saying that tickets were going on sale on Tuesday, but been scouring the internet the last few mins, and can't see an indication of any such news.

Benn On the Today FM Website and theres no sign of any announcment. :confused:
    I need to know asap to get time off work..

• Advertisement

Ray Foley on Today FM has just announced that this is going ahead. He said that the first few bands playing are The Zutons, Gerry Fish, The Lighting Seeds and I can't remember the rest. Tickets will be on sale from next Tuesday with early bird prices at €89 for the 3 days. Dates are Fri 11th Sept to Sun 13th.

Just shows how deaf I am Cos I missed it and Ive been listening all morning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Ray Foley on Today FM has just announced that this is going ahead. He said that the first few bands playing are The Zutons, Gerry Fish, The Lighting Seeds and I can't remember the rest. Tickets will be on sale from next Tuesday with early bird prices at €89 for the 3 days. Dates are Fri 11th Sept to Sun 13th.

The Doves, The Zutons, Newton Faulkner, Noah & The Whale, The Hold Steady, Stereo MCs, Lightning Seeds, Jerry Fish and more

• Registered Users Posts: 17 davidoc4

COIS FHARRAIGE WAVE HITS KILKEE
    11th, 12th, 13th SEPTEMBER 2009
    with
    Doves, The Zutons, Newton Faulkner
    and many more
    Irelands number one music and water sports festival Cois Fharraige is returning to the seaside town of Kilkee, Co Clare this September. The 3 day event will take place between the 11th and 13th of September (subject to license).
    The first of this years line up to be announced are Doves, The Zutons, Newton Faulkner, Noah & The Whale, The Hold Steady, Stereo MC’s, Lightning Seeds, and Jerry Fish with more acts to be announced in the coming days (subject to change).
    The festival has been a huge success in its first two years selling out in advance and hosting bands such as Travis, Supergrass and Seasick Steve as well as some of Ireland’s biggest acts like The Blizzards, Republic of Loose and The Corona’s.
    Early bird weekend tickets are priced 89 euro inclusive of booking fee up until 1st September and 99 euro incl. booking fee after.
    Tickets go on sale this Tuesday 11th August 2009 at 9 am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Jesus! they fairly pulled that one out of the bag! Good job without a sponsor!

AT LAST :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

In Kilkee, confirmed officially last night but still can't find anything on web. Mayor's son mentioned travis as well...:D:D

Jackobyte wrote: »
    In Kilkee, confirmed officially last night but still can't find anything on web. Mayor's son mentioned travis as well...:D:D

http://www.state.ie/cois-fharraige-2009-lineup-announced/

http://www.culch.ie/2009/08/06/cois-fharraige-2009-gets-the-green-light/

Sony Ericsonn isn't sponsoring it this year I believe. It has no large sponsor but the local businesses are all helping to fund it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Would like to get down to this as my only fest of the summer (funds related ofcourse).

Anyone know if theres gonna be camping facilities?What were they like last year?BYO at all?

Would like to get down to this as my only fest of the summer (funds related ofcourse).

Anyone know if theres gonna be camping facilities?What were they like last year?BYO at all?
    I've been in Kilkee every year its been on, (though I've never attended the concerts. I've a house in Kilkee and come down for the atmosphere:D). Usually every field within walking distance of concert is set up as a camp though I do not know what the facilities are like... Four Flags camp site was the most advertised last year with signs every 100 yards for it but again I know nothing of facilities, pricing, etc.

Also in a field across from my house (1 mile exactly from town) there were 3 tents set up but whether the farmer knew about it or not is another question. They may have been trespassing and hoping they weren't noticed...

EDIT: Rumours around Kilkee include, for Saturday night, Madness, and for Sunday night, Travis.:P:D

• Advertisement

Give this fella a ring, he's running a campsite this year. We stayed with him last year and he's 100 yards from the Hotel & concert arena
    We paid €50 for the 3 nights last year.

Kevin - 086-3039783

http://www.facebook.com/s.php?q=camping+cois&init=quick#/profile.php?id=100000125630737&hiq=camping%2Ccois&ref=search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Give this fella a ring, he's running a campsite this year. We stayed with him last year and he's 100 yards from the Hotel & concert arena
    We paid €50 for the 3 nights last year.

Kevin - 086-3039783

http://www.facebook.com/s.php?q=camping+cois&init=quick#/profile.php?id=100000125630737&hiq=camping%2Ccois&ref=search

Fair play fright, thanks for the contact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Swayzee

I cant wait, its gonna be freakin awesome!!!

just checked out the pics on their website there...

http://www.coisfharraige.com/2009/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67&Itemid=71&lang=en

Advertisement