Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Politics...

Options
  • 06-05-2009 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I've never been deeply interested in politics, but I find myself being more and more interested now.

I think that with the upcoming elections I should be thinking about the following:

1. What is the difference between a local & general election? Sorry but I didn't realise until recently that they were even seperate! :o

2. What sort of issues can I and should I bring up with people canvassing when they call to the door?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I've never been deeply interested in politics, but I find myself being more and more interested now.

I think that with the upcoming elections I should be thinking about the following:

1. What is the difference between a local & general election? Sorry but I didn't realise until recently that they were even seperate! :o
    Citizensinformation.ie is my first port of call for questions like this :)
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/government-in-ireland/elections-and-referenda/local-elections/local_elections
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/government-in-ireland/elections-and-referenda/national-elections/the_general_election

Basically local elections are to vote for who makes up your local county council.
    2. What sort of issues can I and should I bring up with people canvassing when they call to the door?

Thanks.
    You can bring up anything you want and you should bring up anything that's important to you. They probably won't be able to do a lot about your PAYE\PRSI rate but they do make decisions about local matters such as traffic in your area, bin tax, Amenities such as parks & playgrounds etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Appreciate the info. Just a question on the general election.... doesn't each area vote for the local TD's etc and then the party in power elects the Taoiseach?

Yes, you vote for a local TD and then the party in power decides who will become Taoiseach. The Party also decides through their own process who will take what ministerial positions such as minister for health, environment etc.

• Advertisement

So are the people running in the local elections different from the people who run for the general elections? Can TD's run in the local elections for the county councils? - i.e. Can they be in both the Dail and the county council? Or is it seen as a step down for a TD to run for election to the local county / city council?

Thanks,

The structure seems to make sense now! So these are local elections coming up....

So, say for example, there's a local councillor who seems like they're in touch with the area, and who's views about certain issues I agree with; BUT they are with a party who I wouldn't necessarily vote for in the general elections...

Voting for this councillor in the local elections won't have any impact on the general elections?

Thanks,

The structure seems to make sense now! So these are local elections coming up....

So, say for example, there's a local councillor who seems like they're in touch with the area, and who's views about certain issues I agree with; BUT they are with a party who I wouldn't necessarily vote for in the general elections...

Voting for this councillor in the local elections won't have any impact on the general elections?

Hehe the big question, do you vote the person or the party :)

For me I would be inclined to vote the person but there's a couple of party's that would have to have an absolutely amazing person before they could get my vote..

When it comes down to it this doesn't really affect the General Election..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Guys, this is reopened. please try and keep the discussion on topic as you help out the OP.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Excellent thread so far. There should possibly be a sticky on this, as I'm sure there are many more out there unsure of the difference between local and general elections.

Gambler wrote: »
    Hehe the big question, do you vote the person or the party :)

For me I would be inclined to vote the person but there's a couple of party's that would have to have an absolutely amazing person before they could get my vote..

When it comes down to it this doesn't really affect the General Election..

I was thinking the same myself. Nobody has come a-knockin' on my door so far, but there are certain things that I want to bring up with them if and when they do. The main one for me at the moment is graffiti being on the increase in my area. There is also lots of it directly across the road from my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I think in that case it would be best to vote for someone who will address that kind of issue.

In a national election it is best to vote for the persons political views, or that of their party. For example find a party that suit your ideology and vote for any or all of their candidates (even if they arent real people person etc) because a lot of the time in the Dail ideologies seem to matter more than persona's.

Even though idealogies are far far away from Irish civil war politics.

Advertisement