Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More awareness to EU politics outside referendum/election

Options
  • 06-05-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Its a constant topic that pops up in bits and pieces throughout topics here. And I thought we might aswell have threads that are not simply outrage at the EU/Libertas/Lisbon/etc

How does one encourage people to keep an interest in EU affairs when its not a referendum or a European election, more so for them to consider EU affairs when general elections are on or other national political issues.

One thing I was thinking of today, is maybe to give more emphasize to the Europarties, even in national elections, one thinks that an elected fianna fail or Fine Gael member disappears into the European Union as single entity, when in reality much like in our government they are linked with a specific party and ideological grouping. While this is something one would expect with the European Parliament, it also extends to the European Council.

it would be surprising that while Fianna Fail are our majority party in Ireland, their Euro party is actually not the largest (European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party) and that Fine Gael is actually part of the largest Euro Party at the moment (European People's Party)

Considering this putting fine gael into power gives the EPP (a centre right party) more influence in the council and in the end a slightly more centre right wing commission (chosen by the council), which leads to European laws with a more centre right tint.

I know its very simplified, but when you consider how much is at stake both for ireland and the EU, maybe there should be some consideration in general election for a very simple change, list both the national party and the europarty in the campaign and on the ballot papers.

Its a simple change, but if people have a better understanding of the euro parties and groups then they might consider EU affairs more outside of the referendums, even if it is a simple, this party is more left wing in the EU and how much influence it will have on the council.

Course it could be seen as EU again sticking its head into areas it doesnt belong again by simply being there. But its better that people know whats already there, then to pretend to the public that they are irrelevent or non existent when it is something that should be considered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The EU does spend a lot* on trying to communicate itself, but I think it's a case of "you can lead the horse to water, but you can't make him drink". It may actually be worse, in that all the EU can do is point out the existence of water, where to find it etc.

It seems that the majority of people just lack interest in the EU except around referendums. You're quite right that it's of vital importance to people in Ireland, but that doesn't make it interesting! We probably need more EU-level scandals (real ones).

cordially,
    Scofflaw

* according to Libertas (well, OpenEurope) it's €2.4bn a year, but that apparently includes absolutely everything including consultation meetings with trade unions, the LIFE+ funding for all the environmental programmes, the European Regional Development Fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think the biggest problem in Ireland is anything good done in the country is claimed to be by the government and the EU is only responsible for bad things.

This spin causes more problems and confusion than anything else IMO. Most people in Ireland only know of the EU's existence because of the blue signs on roads and train stations I think.

As long as that is the case, people will not give a crap about EU politics because they won't see how it effects them.

Advertisement