Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

CORRIE legend Betty Williams fears she has become a killer - when an elderly woman is poisoned by one of her famous hotpots.
    The "victim", 91, is her rival for the title of Manchester's Oldest Barmaid Betty turns 90 in the soap in February.

Rovers Return landlord Steve McDonald (Simon Gregson) celebrates with a party and boasts the pub is home of the city's oldest barmaid to the Weatherfield Gazette.

However, local Enid Crump is furious because she is 91 and still works in The Parsons Arms boozer. She storms into the Rovers and creates merry hell.

Steve offers her a sherry and a hotpot to calm her down but can only find one at the back of the fridge. He microwaves the meal, not realising it is TWO MONTHS old.

Later, he and Betty discover Enid has been rushed to a doctor and is at death's door with food poisoning.

The panicking barmaid, played by Betty Driver, 89, tells Steve: "It's murder. I'll have killed her. I'm too old to go to prison. I'll never come out alive."

Steve's mum Liz (Beverley Callard) fears her beloved pub will be shut down.

But he tells Betty: "I'm sure it'll be fine. You can't murder someone with a hotpot. The police will understand it was an accident.

"And look on the bright side, if Enid dies, you can then officially call yourself the undisputed Oldest Barmaid in Town."

However, Steve soon gets worried when wife Becky (Katherine Kelly) tells him: "It won't be Betty that cops it if Enid pops her clogs, Steve - it'll be you. You delivered the fatal blow."

The storyline will be a landmark for actress Betty, who turns 90 in March and this year celebrated more than 30 years in Coronation Street.

Betty, originally a concert pianist, was made an MBE in 2000. The role of of her rival Enid is yet to be cast.

Coronation Street actress Maggie Jones died this morning, aged 75.
    The actress, who played the much-loved soap character Blanche Hunt, passed away in hospital after losing a long battle with illness.
    Jones, who studied at the RADA drama school, first appeared in Coronation Street in 1961 as a policewoman. She was granted a full time role as Blanche, the mother of Dierdre, 13 years later and remained on the show until 1976.
    She made several reappearances in the shows for events such as Deirdre's marriage to Ken Barlow in 1981 and the birth of her grandchild Tracy 1977. Jones was made a full-time cast member in 1999.
    In 2005 and 2008, Jones won the British Soap Award for 'Best Comedy Performance' for her role on the ITV1 soap. She appeared in more that 830 episodes of the show.
    Her other TV credits included Dalziel and Pascore, Peak Practice, The Barchester Chronicles and Heartbeat.
    Earlier this month, Jones was said to be in a critical condition after being rushed to hospital for life-saving surgery. However, producers later said that the 75-year-old was starting to improve. An ITV representative later added that the soap star was "continuing in the same direction" as she continued to be cared for at Hope Hospital in Salford.
    In a statement, an ITV spokesperson said: "It is with great sadness that ITV announces that Coronation Street actress Maggie Jones has today passed away aged 75.
    "Maggie, who has played battle-axe pensioner Blanche Hunt since 1974, died at the Salford Royal Hospital where she has been treated since falling ill in October. Maggie had been making a slow recovery but her condition deteriorated early Wednesday morning and she passed away peacefully in her sleep."
    Corrie executive producer Kieran Roberts added: “Maggie was a much-loved colleague and a wonderful actress who turned Blanche into a true Coronation Street icon. She will be hugely missed by Coronation Street's many millions of viewers and by everyone who works on Coronation Street. Our thoughts and prayers go to Maggie's sister Joan at this very sad time."
    Her co-star William Roache, who plays Ken Barlow, lead the tributes to Jones, describing her as a "tower of strength".
    "Maggie was a big part of the Barlow family and a brilliant actress. She was a tower of strength, physically frail but mentally strong as an ox and sharp as someone half her age," he said. "She had an amazing dry wit and was as funny if not funnier than Blanche. We were great crossword partners, we sat through Tracy's trial scenes doing the crossword together. I don't think Maggie ever realised how much she was loved not only by everyone on the show but by the millions of Blanche fans out there. She will be greatly missed."
    Funeral arrangements are now being made for the actress.

RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

JP Liz wrote: »
    RIP :(

awwww such a shame, she was the best character in Corrie. So funny always loved her scenes! took me a while to warm to her but she went from noesy to halarious, she will be missed:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

Maggie Jones was a wonderful actress and her Coronation Street character was sheer comedy genius.

Great one-liners, you will be so missed in the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Jaysus!! she was great in the show, her character was always funny and entertaining. She will be missed, RIP>

• Advertisement

Epicurus wrote: »

Ive actually been, went on a tour of coronation street about 9 years ago, it was when Deirdre was in jail, there was loads of set deirdre free mugs and tshirts etc, it was gas!:)

Simon's rich granddad is going to try for full custody of Simon

Simon's rich granddad is going to try for full custody of Simon

I thought so! Silly how easy their getting sucked in.

Ive actually been, went on a tour of coronation street about 9 years ago, it was when Deirdre was in jail, there was loads of set deirdre free mugs and tshirts etc, it was gas!:)

That must have been class; I would have loved to have done that but I think they stopped those tours a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭MelissaLahive

Oh no.... I always said I'd do that tour one day. Damn anyway

That must have been class; I would have loved to have done that but I think they stopped those tours a few years ago

Yea I believe the tours were stopped the following year. It was great really odd being outside the cabin and the rovers return. The gift shop was billiant so funny. I think everybody got a corrie mug:)

Coronation Street star Ben Price has suggested that his character Nick Tilsley could become tangled up with feisty Carla Connor in the New Year.
    The 37-year-old actor, who will be seen making his debut as Nick next week, hinted that the Weatherfield returnee would become involved in Carla's life as part of an attempt to win control of knicker factory Underworld.
    Speaking to DS about whether the pair will interact, Price commented: "I think so. As Ben, though, I don't know - they've not told me yet!
    "What Nick wants more than anything is a test. He likes to be pushed and he'll second guess everyone on the Street. He'll try and get the factory and charm Carla or anyone else to find out the information he needs. He's not an out-and-out baddie, though. With Carla and Nick, it would always be a stormy relationship - one that's not just on one level."
    On Nick's chances of being the next Underworld boss, he continued: "It'll be really interesting to see how it unfolds. I think he definitely sees the factory as a big opportunity for him."
    Meanwhile, Price teased further by claiming that a woman like Carla would be an ideal partner for Nick, who will soon be seen kissing his half-brother David's (Jack P. Shepherd) ex-girlfriend Tina McIntyre, played by Michelle Keegan.
    He said: "After finding out that Nick kissed Tina, David gets hung up on them but Nick says, 'Mate - how many times can I tell you? I'm a man who's having a bit of a giggle with a beautiful girl. I'm not going to go out with her!' Nick needs something more - a woman to spar off, a bit like a Carla."
    Price was recruited for the role of Nick earlier this year, taking over from Adam Rickitt, who played the part on and off between 1997 and 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

You can't murder someone with a hotpot.

What a bummer - tonight was the Soap Awards, and the best storyline of the year award has already been presented. Never mind Betty, next year . . .

Graham won the best newcomer - his speech told us that he's just playing himself (the best kind !)

Becky the best actress ? Well now . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Oliverdog wrote: »

Becky the best actress ? Well now . . .

Brilliant actress and brilliant character.

CORRIE is poised for an explosive child kidnap plot - as little Simon Barlow is whisked away by evil George Wilson.
    George snatches his grandson from the school gates, leaving his dad Peter at his wits' end.

Peter (Chris Gascoyne) calls the cops and goes to George's house to confront him.

The old man, played by Raffles star Anthony Valentine, goads him into losing his rag.

So Peter lunges at him - and ends up getting arrested after pushing away a cop who tries to intervene.

In tear-jerking scenes, Simon is left sobbing for his dad - and Peter must watch from the police van as his son is left in the crook's clutches.

By the time Peter is released, evil George has already gone into hiding in Blackpool with the boy.

In the dramatic scenes to air in March, George uses his sway with the Weatherfield authorities to get legal custody over Simon (Alex Bain).

But will he succeed in his wicked plan to steal Simon away for good?

God I hate Molly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

I second that......she is EXTREMELY annoying! You are not all that love...get over it!!

I third that i hate the miss piggy lookalike Molly

Actress Kate Ford is to reprise her role as Coronation Street superbitch Tracy Barlow in the spring, it has been confirmed.

The 32-year-old returns to filming in March and will reappear on screen in the middle of the year when she becomes embroiled in another 'much-loved' character's storyline from prison.

Following an initial two-month stint, Tracy will make a full-time Weatherfield comeback by the close of the year, in time for the show's 50th anniversary.

A Corrie spokesperson this morning told DS: "2010 is going to be a very exciting year for Coronation Street and Tracy's return will affect many people on the street - not just the Barlows."

In the soap, Tracy is currently serving a 15-year sentence after being found guilty of murdering her boyfriend Charlie Stubbs (Bill Ward).

Since her trial and final prison scenes, she has been referenced numerous times in scripts by her parents Ken and Deirdre Barlow and Steve McDonald, the father of her child Amy.

Last month, it was announced that Corrie's leading producer Kim Crowther is to step down from her position in the summer ahead of the soap's golden anniversary. Former Doctor Who producer Phil Collinson will take the reigns following her departure.

• Advertisement

Actress Kate Ford is to reprise her role as Coronation Street superbitch Tracy Barlow in the spring, it has been confirmed.

The 32-year-old returns to filming in March and will reappear on screen in the middle of the year when she becomes embroiled in another 'much-loved' character's storyline from prison.

Following an initial two-month stint, Tracy will make a full-time Weatherfield comeback by the close of the year, in time for the show's 50th anniversary.

A Corrie spokesperson this morning told DS: "2010 is going to be a very exciting year for Coronation Street and Tracy's return will affect many people on the street - not just the Barlows."

In the soap, Tracy is currently serving a 15-year sentence after being found guilty of murdering her boyfriend Charlie Stubbs (Bill Ward).

Since her trial and final prison scenes, she has been referenced numerous times in scripts by her parents Ken and Deirdre Barlow and Steve McDonald, the father of her child Amy.

Last month, it was announced that Corrie's leading producer Kim Crowther is to step down from her position in the summer ahead of the soap's golden anniversary. Former Doctor Who producer Phil Collinson will take the reigns following her departure.

I hate Treacy. Really hoped we were rid of the rotten bich for good.

CORRIE legend Betty Williams fears she has become a killer - when an elderly woman is poisoned by one of her famous hotpots.

The panicking barmaid, played by Betty Driver, 89, tells Steve: "It's murder. I'll have killed her. I'm too old to go to prison. I'll never come out alive."

However, Steve soon gets worried when wife Becky (Katherine Kelly) tells him: "It won't be Betty that cops it if Enid pops her clogs, Steve - it'll be you. You delivered the fatal blow."

So who's off to prison then; Betty/Steve or Becky.

Would like to see Karen McDonald return now as well. Herself, Tracy and Becky would make some interesting viewing

Would like to see Karen McDonald return now as well. Herself, Tracy and Becky would make some interesting viewing

No thanks, Karen was a horrible character. Id like to see Becky throwing a few digs on her alright if she did return.

Steves been through some women hasnt he!

Isnt Betty going to poison some auld one with grub she eat in the pub

No thanks, Karen was a horrible character. Id like to see Becky throwing a few digs on her alright if she did return.

Steves been through some women hasnt he!

Now if only they could persuade Vicky to come back as well. All his wives and Tracey together with himself and Liz. It'd be quiet anyway.

Would like to see Karen McDonald return

Should bring together all the women Steve has had for a re-union and get Liz to check them out and see if any of them come up to the mark now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I would like Karen to return

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Just for Johnnybravo, I would like Tracey to return and set up a steamy lesbo relationship with Molly, who is free at the moment.

Just for Johnnybravo, I would like Tracey to return and set up a steamy lesbo relationship with Molly, who is free at the moment.

lol thanks for thinking of me :D:D

Ah Tracey would be way outa Mollys league . I think Sally put it best when she said " Molly your dull" :D

• Advertisement

Mollys not free; she's in a loving relationship with her devoted husband. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement