Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Care to enlighten me please ;)

Well Eileen used to be a funny, witty and a feisty character, until she got bitch-slapped by Eoin. I, personally think she is under used. If she was still in the cab firm she would know all about Steve's problems, and be offering him some advice.

With the current cast, they have all had their personalities changed by recent writing. Rita used to be wise and strong, now she cries at the drop of a hat.

Jim and Liz are and always will be, iconic characters, which is why sending Jim to prison for 10-odd years is such an utter horrible mistake, especially with no chance, even a flimsy one, of a reprieve. Unlike she-who-shall-not-be-named.

They have all been changed, possibly irreparably, and part of me is beginning to worry that Corrie has run its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

syklops wrote: »
    Jim and Liz are and always will be, iconic characters, which is why sending Jim to prison for 10-odd years is such an utter horrible mistake, especially with no chance, even a flimsy one, of a reprieve. Unlike she-who-shall-not-be-named.

Spot on. Still, the trial is yet to come. I'll tell ye this and I'll tell ye no more, if yer man James could engage the services of the unnamed one's solicitor, he could still get off and one of the Corrie writers, sitting in the public gallery, could be thrown in jail instead.

You'd need a Perry Mason style scenario, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Who called Maria a shrek lookalike?

I dont like the character of Maria but to be fair Samia is stunning looking

Tracy said it. She was talking to Frank in the car as far as I remember, she was dismissing Maria as not being in the same league looks-wise as herself. It struck me at the time that with her big wide mouth she would pass as a cousin of Shrek herself. Yeah Maria is lovely, I hate her whiney voice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ann22 wrote: »
    Tracy said it. She was talking to Frank in the car as far as I remember, she was dismissing Maria as not being in the same league looks-wise as herself. It struck me at the time that with her big wide mouth she would pass as a cousin of Shrek herself. Yeah Maria is lovely, I hate her whiney voice though.

Tracey is still mad at Maria for her affair with Charlie isnt that why Tracey killed him

I really cant stand Tracey and the writers feel they need push her into the big storylines as she is so liked and such a great character - hello no she isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Tracey is still mad at Maria for her affair with Charlie isnt that why Tracey killed him

I really cant stand Tracey and the writers feel they need push her into the big storylines as she is so liked and such a great character - hello no she isnt

I can't bear her either...she's so pantomime...a terrible over actor. No one's that openly gleefully horrible. When you compare her to the quality evilness of eg Eastender's Janine she's totally crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

When I saw Sally scratching that lottery ticket,I was waiting for her to say" hey I have won!".If she had then that would have been really pathetic and unrealistic.Does Anna's husband Eddie, always have to keep eating.Every time I see him he is stuffing his face:rolleyes:

Oliverdog wrote: »
    At last, a chink of light with the arrival of Stephanie. Not Beacham (sigh) but Cole, playing Roy's mother. Some of her lines last night were worthy of Blanche herself, especially her dismissive comment about Sean.
    I hope this fine actress will stay around for a while, and that others (Rosie, Tracey perhaps) will pick up a few hints.

I didn't recognise the actress until last night. I think I am about to have a new favourite character. All she needs to do is play her character from Waiting for God and we are onto a winner.

Would I be wrong in saying she also played a cantankerous mother in a sitcom in the 90's where she had to move in with her son, and was very set in her ways and odd? I remember she used to cross reference the Birth, Marriages and Deaths of the paper with the phonebook and cross people out who had died. Or was that a different actress?

I thought last nights(Monday) episode was great. I wanted Chris to land it on Frank big time. Maria has finally rung the police, and Carla is panicking just as she should. The way she treated Maria, after she knew what happened was ridiculous.

That said, the way Carla has been written in the last couple of weeks is just daft "Well I have gotten to know frank now(over 2 bottles of wine), and I dont think he could possibly have done what you say he did, so I think you, despite having nothing to gain, are lying, and him, despite having everything to lose and lots to gain, is telling the truth".

Thats not the Carla we are used to.

I hope Sally will stop her moaning now. One minute she is saying she wants the money for her children, the next she is sniping at Kevin for spending 'her' money. I assume she kept the proceeds of selling the car. Kevin wiped the smile off her face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

Havent been on this forum for ages but I must follow it again, as the posts are a great laugh and more entertaining than the show at the moment.
    Has anyone else wondered about Carla's sudden onset/short-lived alcoholism? She turned into an alcoholic overnight after drinking one bottle of whiskey..went to meetings for about 2 weeks and is now back to 'T'rovers' default mode for females eg "I'll ave a whaite waine please". (What a great voice:))
    Like some recent posters, I'm glad Becky is leaving even though I used to like her character. She went from funny to permanently grim over the last year. Looking forward to Johns meltdown. That sounds terrible, but ye know what I mean.:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

cucbuc wrote: »
    Has anyone else wondered about Carla's sudden onset/short-lived alcoholism? She turned into an alcoholic overnight after drinking one bottle of whiskey..went to meetings for about 2 weeks and is now back to 'T'rovers' default mode for females eg "I'll ave a whaite waine please". (What a great voice:))

Carla's drinking problem story hasn't been too bad. I wasn't too surprised by her drinking problem when it "started." Remember when Sally told her she had cancer in Jan 10, the first thing Carla did was pull a bottle of vodka out of her desk drawer. I remember thinking at the time that it was a bit weird for anyone to have a naggin of vodka stashed with their paperwork. Generally a sign of a problem.

And if she actually has managed to get a grip on it now, that's believable too. She started drinking too much as a result of Liam's death and it got out of control as a result of the trauma of Tony trapping her in the factory and trying to kill her. She may never have developed a serious physical dependency, just an emotional one. So recognising the problem, talking about it with someone and making a serious effort to get it under control could work just fine for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Thank god Becky is leaving! Awful character. Still, I don't think I can take watching another year of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

awww I love Becks - think she's a great character and herself and Steve are never dull to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

There is a special on UTV tonight at 7.30 called Farewell Liz, a tribute to corries Liz McDonald- iconic landlady of the Rovers and queen of the miniskirt- who is leaving the cobbles after more than 20 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

cucbuc wrote: »
    Havent been on this forum for ages but I must follow it again, as the posts are a great laugh and more entertaining than the show at the moment.
    Like some recent posters, I'm glad Becky is leaving even though I used to like her character. She went from funny to permanently grim over the last year. Looking forward to Johns meltdown. That sounds terrible, but ye know what I mean.:D

Carlas story may not be over yet...
    http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a313766/alison-king-carla-cant-control-drinking.html

I think this thing with Maria reporting the attempted rape at this stage is going to go against her as she should have reported it straight away. The other side will claim she only did it for revenge or financial gain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I didn't recognise the actress until last night. I think I am about to have a new favourite character. All she needs to do is play her character from Waiting for God and we are onto a winner.

Or the widow from Open All Hours.

They should make her a long lost sister of Blanche, one maybe that Deirdre did not know about, maybe they could have had a falling out in their teenage years and Blanche never mentioned her as a result. Both are/were acid tongued enough to be related. Imagine what Roy would think if he realised that he shared a bed with a female cousin of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Perhaps we're recognising a good idea already in place by the writers. I hope so. The moments when she nailed Tyrone as a salad dodger, and the look on his face, were pure Blanche.

Oliverdog wrote: »
    Perhaps we're recognising a good idea already in place by the writers. I hope so. The moments when she nailed Tyrone as a salad dodger, and the look on his face, were pure Blanche.

Yes, I will give the writers credit for that. I am happy with the way she is written. If they could just get everyone else on the street back on track I would be delighted.

My only criticism is her being roys mother. As Deise Tom. (kind of) said it would have been better if she was Blanches cousin/sister/long lost relative. It will mean a lot of Roy looking glum and Haley trying to be helpful.

An Only Fools and Horses-esque funeral where she shows up at the funeral and it turns out her assisted care home is less than adequate, so Ken and Deirdre invite her home for a brandy, would have worked much better.

I really should start sending my ideas into them. It might make things improve.

I really should start sending my ideas into them. It might make things improve.

Well they were looking for new writers last August. Perhaps you'll be in with a shot once they get fired.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

As Deise Tom. (kind of) said it would have been better if she was Blanches cousin/sister/long lost relative. It will mean a lot of Roy looking glum and Haley trying to be helpful.

Could still happen that they are related in some way.

I knew it would not go Maria's way, right again.:P.Now the tables have turned on Frank.In his previous role, he would have been the one doing the arresting:D.Roys mother is going to be the new Blanche all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Yeah, Roys mother has the makings of a good charachter, nicely acid tounged following in the footsteps of the likes of Ena Sharples, Hilda Ogden, Percy Sugden, Vera and Blanche.

WTH has happened to Gail's face? Her cheeks are all puffy and droopy. She looks so much weirder that usual.:eek:

Can you believe the arrogance of that cow Gail?:eek: To think she is qualified for the job.What she said about Cheryl? What a bitch!!.Cringed when Audrey asked Haley for advise about "her friend?:":P

Tbf, Gail managed (later as co-owner) the café for for 15 years. She isn't totally unqualified to manage a bistro. Weird that she could remember working in the Rovers for a few weeks 35 years ago, but couldn't remember running a successful business for a decade and a half.

At least Nick has an excuse for not remembering the business his mother owned for most of his childhood, it was two whole heads ago for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Tonights Corrie in London was not very good, Sean awful actor nice to
    see Todd back
    I hope it will be coming back on Sunday's :) from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Love seeing Corrie back on a Sunday but wasnt mad about tonights episode.

A tin of condensed tomato soup mixed with a tin of peas, a tin of tuna and some chopped up boiled egg heated and served with roast potatoes.:eek:

I think they were playing up the Eileen as an embarrassing Northerner card. Couldn't she just have served tea and bread with the dinner and have had brown sauce on the table ala the Barlows when young Ken had Susan invited around in the first episode. And I don't think Gail, daughter of Ted, would be calling gay men "funny" in a derogatory way, no matter how much she blames Todd for what happened to Billy.

As for the travesty of a Sean does London story, wtf? It felt like an odd sketch, the awful London montage along with Violet no longer loves Jamie but is pissed off that he doesn't want to stay and be her surrogate baby daddy. And Marcus neatly being let go from his job so he can follow Sean back to Manchester. Is he still a sonographer? Because even though there are public health cutbacks in the UK I haven't heard of that many maternity units being shut down in London yet.

I'm off to google a toddly and cream, as I guess I too am uncouth.

Eta: Google is also uncouth, I still don't know what a toddly and cream is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

I don't think it's going to be back on a Sunday for good, they normally do specials so the rest of the cast can have some holidays and just 3 or 4 of the regular actors/actresses carry an episode or 2 with a few new faces(or past corrie characters) and Toddly made me laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

iguana wrote: »
    I'm off to google a toddly and cream, as I guess I too am uncouth.

Eta: Google is also uncouth, I still don't know what a toddly and cream is.

Well you're not alone; Rosie didn't get it either.

The only thing I can get from that is some reference to godley and creme
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE9aEDAvPUE

Shame Julie was missing from that episode, was there any reason mentioned why she didnt come to meet her nephew for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Reference to godley and creme
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godley_%26_Creme
    Edit - Epicurus in before me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement