Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware pushy Airtricity door to door salesmen

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

djrichard wrote: »
    Yes, youre right. It is terrible that your friend spoke to someone like that.

And terrible that we are pestered everytime we go to Tesco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

poconnor16 wrote: »
    And terrible that we are pestered everytime we go to Tesco.

If you have a problem with outside sales agencies pestering you, why not have a word with the Customer Service Manager in Tesco rather than verbally abusing someone who is doing their job properly. Its a fact that if that salesperson was to leave you alone at the very first dismissal, they wouldnt be in employment very long. Gentle persistance is an important part of success in that job.

I dont particularly like it when I have charities and scout groups etc offering to pack my bags for me, hoping for a donation to whichever cause they represent. I feel guilty & cheap if I say no, even though they dont pester me if I say no, I still feel bad. I dont moan though, I just accept it and continue on with my day, there are far more important things to be concerned about. Ive been chased up the street with charity people trying to get me to sign up for things, again, I dont swear at them, I say no and then just walk off ignoring any possible continuations of their pitch. Although sometimes, if they are good enough, I offer them to come in for an interview and give them a job! :)

If you have a problem with outside sales agencies pestering you, why not have a word with the Customer Service Manager in Tesco rather than verbally abusing someone who is doing their job properly. Its a fact that if that salesperson was to leave you alone at the very first dismissal, they wouldnt be in employment very long. Gentle persistance is an important part of success in that job.

I dont particularly like it when I have charities and scout groups etc offering to pack my bags for me, hoping for a donation to whichever cause they represent. I feel guilty & cheap if I say no, even though they dont pester me if I say no, I still feel bad. I dont moan though, I just accept it and continue on with my day, there are far more important things to be concerned about. Ive been chased up the street with charity people trying to get me to sign up for things, again, I dont swear at them, I say no and then just walk off ignoring any possible continuations of their pitch. Although sometimes, if they are good enough, I offer them to come in for an interview and give them a job! :)

Well fair play to you, you are a very patient person. I however am not. When it is going on a few times a week, I lose my patience.

I have seen many a worse thing said to those guys I can assure you. Persistence is part of the job as is thick skin I'm sure.

If someone clearly says 'no, I dont want to talk to you' then leave them alone, or face the risk of a telling off.

I think I might actually chat to the guy the next time and ask him to try and remember my face. Maybe a nice, poilte conversation might stick in his head a bit. And when I say hello the next time he might remember me from the day before. See, I not that cranky, honest. :)

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Well fair play to you, you are a very patient person. I however am not. When it is going on a few times a week, I lose my patience.

I have seen many a worse thing said to those guys I can assure you. Persistence is part of the job as is thick skin I'm sure.

If someone clearly says 'no, I dont want to talk to you' then leave them alone, or face the risk of a telling off.

I think I might actually chat to the guy the next time and ask him to try and remember my face. Maybe a nice, poilte conversation might stick in his head a bit. And when I say hello the next time he might remember me from the day before. See, I not that cranky, honest. :)

Why dont you wait until the 1st of October, and then ask him about the new increased discounts we will be offering!!! Exact amount is undisclosed until 1st October. You never know, you might surprise yourself. Perhaps then I may have someone, just one perosn, who doesnt hate Airtricity! :D

Why dont you wait until the 1st of October, and then ask him about the new increased discounts we will be offering!!! Exact amount is undisclosed until 1st October. You never know, you might surprise yourself. Perhaps then I may have someone, just one perosn, who doesnt hate Airtricity! :D

Because (as I have mentioned to the poor boy over and over again) I am already with Airtricity for gas and electric. I think he just doesn't believe me, or is after my friends :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gleisweiler

I've had no end of sales reps calling during the day and after dark, so I made an official looking notice on my PC in Publisher that said:
    "NO COLD CALLERS -- we don't buy or sell at the door"
    and underneath that another line stating
    NO SPONSORSHIP FORMS -- except for residents of (insert your street name if you want to support them, or leave this blank after FORMS
    I don't have cold callers now and of the neighbours who asked me for a copy of this, all say it works a treat.

I've had no end of sales reps calling during the day and after dark, so I made an official looking notice on my PC in Publisher that said:
    "NO COLD CALLERS -- we don't buy or sell at the door"
    and underneath that another line stating
    NO SPONSORSHIP FORMS -- except for residents of (insert your street name if you want to support them, or leave this blank after FORMS
    I don't have cold callers now and of the neighbours who asked me for a copy of this, all say it works a treat.

If I came across that sign, and I have came across a few similar things in the past, Id be straight up and ringing that doorbell. What that sign tells me is that its likely that youve not had many people knock on your door and that you are most likely to be unaware of the latest discounts in the market. Im sure the first thing you would do is point out the sign and state in a firm voice"eh cant you read?" whilst pointing to said sign. Id look at you bemused, look myself up and down and with a baffled expression on my face and protest "but Im not selling you anything......Im only here about the dicounts youre able to apply for on your energy bills, you can get discounts from your current distributor, you just have to apply for them. I guess with that sign there, you probably have not heard about all the changes in the market. Give me two minutes and I'll pop in and explain them to you".

Bills out, savings explained, one happy new customer!

If I came across that sign, and I have came across a few similar things in the past, Id be straight up and ringing that doorbell.

dj: Where you the guy who knocked at my door on Friday last, in spite of the No Cold Callers sign? When I opened the inside porch door I pointed to the sign, mouthed a silent 'Go forth and Multiply' :D and waved him away without opening the door. He just stood there in the pouring rain soaked through and I closed the door. If he stayed in his car he may have kept dry. The moral of the story? Read the sign...I can find good deals when I want to and don't need to be annoyed he at home.

If I came across that sign, and I have came across a few similar things in the past, Id be straight up and ringing that doorbell.

dj: Where you the guy who knocked at my door on Friday last, in spite of the No Cold Callers sign? When I opened the inside porch door I pointed to the sign, mouthed a silent 'Go forth and Multiply' :D and waved him away without opening the door. He just stood there in the pouring rain soaked through and I closed the door. If he stayed in his car he may have kept dry. The moral of the story? Read the sign...I can find good deals when I want to and don't need to be annoyed he at home.

Hahahaha certainly wasnt myself. You will never see me get wet at all. The rain doesnt get into your house. Im straight out the car and into the houses with porches or apartments. The second a door is opened, I display my ID badge and ask if its ok to step in a second as my handheld device will get ruined in the rain. 99% of the time Im invited in. If someone isnt going to let an official on business a moment to step into their house out of the rain to protect their electrical equipment, then there is VERY little chance they are the kind of people who are going to switch. The vast majority of people are actually kind when you get to the bottom of it. A smile and eye contact go a long long way!

Now who is it that youre with Gleisweiler?? Perhaps we can sort you out a good deal!! In a couple of days I will be revealing a new cheaper product to you all!!!

By the way, thats a joke, Im not advertising!!! I have PM for that :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Now who is it that youre with Gleisweiler?? Perhaps we can sort you out a good deal!! In a couple of days I will be revealing a new cheaper product to you all!!!

By the way, thats a joke, Im not advertising!!! I have PM for that :D

Not when you're sitebanned you don't.

• Advertisement

DJ: don't waste your time. The days are getting shorter, colder and wetter, but perhaps I can put a small shelter at the pavement for you .... ... you sound like a nice guy with a sense of humour. So am I, until cold callers ruffle my feathers. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

According to an Airtricity salesman who is calling to houses in Ennis today, Electric Ireland is now owned by "an English company" since the 1st of January. He didn't give the name of the English company when I queried this. He said it was partly owned by by this English company since last year when it was ESB Electric Ireland, and now that it is just Electric Ireland, it is no longer partly owned by ESB and is fully owned by the English company.

I don't know if he was actually given this information by Airtricity, or if he just misunderstands the name change of the customer supply division of ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

One of their salesmen tried to convince a neighbour of mine(an obvious green party supporter) that if she switched to Airtricity all her electricity would come exclusively rom wind power.

I'd love to know how that is possible. I mean I only did physics up to leaving cert...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Not sure how well known it is that those sellers are working on behalf of airtricity,
    but are not employed directly by airtricity - similar to those sky resellers

They're employed by the same type of 'marketing' companies who used to go door to door with those black luggage bags
    selling rubbish shavers and toys up until a few years ago who were always looking to hire people as they'd such a bad rep

Different names, offices and by this stage different people,
    but the same methods and business model of high pressure sales, no real training and flat out lying to get a sale

Nowadays instead of a black luggage bag they have an umbrella and a jacket with the Airtricity logo.

A few years ago someone was telling me about those type of commission only marketing companies
    didn't believe a word of it so I went along for a day and had a very surreal experience

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72937094#post72937094

there was a thread last year about the 'marketing' company who handle the door to door airtricity sales

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056159425

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

Last time Airtricity approached me leaving Tesco I told them I'm already with them, the guy said "ayyyyyyyy (ala The Fonz) High Five!" I had 2 shopping bags in each hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭familystand

Was one of them a guy in a cheap shiny silver suit with spiked blonde hair by any chance.
    He came to my door and i almost had to threaten violence on him to get him to go away, They are very unprofessional and i reported them to airtricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I've a big sign Welcome cold callers and charity collectors to HELL

Advertisement