Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Airtricity pushy door to door salesmen

Options
  • 06-05-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

I had an unpleasant experience with two 'pushy' salesman from Airtricity who called to my door last evening. My other half answered the door to be asked if she had heard of Airtricity. She had and the spiel continued - "we're 13 % cheaper thatn ESB blah blah". While this was going on his accomplice had opened our meterbox and was taking notes (of the reading I presume). Saleman number one asked for an ESB bill and was phoning up the ESB on his mobile to transfer our account there and then.
    At this stage I came to the door and said could he give us a leaflet and we would think about it. He said they were only around for the evening and would call back later to us.

Of course he didn't call back but this form of pressure selling (not to mention reaidng your meter without permission cannot be ethical or legal)

Anyone else seen them. This was in the Ballincollig area of Cork. Beware if they come to your door.

Their form of selling would put me off the company for ever more regardless of price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I had an unpleasant experience with two 'pushy' salesman from Airtricity who called to my door last evening. My other half answered the door to be asked if she had heard of Airtricity. She had and the spiel continued - "we're 13 % cheaper thatn ESB blah blah". While this was going on his accomplice had opened our meterbox and was taking notes (of the reading I presume). Saleman number one asked for an ESB bill and was phoning up the ESB on his mobile to transfer our account there and then.
    At this stage I came to the door and said could he give us a leaflet and we would think about it. He said they were only around for the evening and would call back later to us.

Of course he didn't call back but this form of pressure selling (not to mention reading your meter without permission cannot be ethical or legal)

Anyone else seen them? This was in the Ballincollig area of Cork. Beware if they come to your door.

Their form of selling would put me off the company for ever more regardless of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

I would complain to the Commission for Energy Regulation about such tactics if I were you. You can email them here:

http://www.energycustomers.ie/contact_us/index.aspx

Regards,

Fnergg

I would complain to the Commission for Energy Regulation about such tactics if I were you. You can email them here:

http://www.energycustomers.ie/contact_us/index.aspx

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Problem here is in this country folks are just too polite to folks that call to the door. Theres no need to be nasty but we should not let ourselves be bullied at our front door for the sake of politeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

To be honest, I would complain to Airtricity first to see what their response is. These "salesmen" might not be directly employed by Airtricity who, in turn, might not be aware that this is going on.

I'd only go to the regulator if Airtricity's response is unsatisfactory.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You gave them the meter number so they made their sale and you are probably now an airtricity customer .

If you want to change back then contact www.cer.ie and complain , they will say you should follow a complaints procedure but if you are not an airtricity customer then there is no reason why you should is there ??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

thejuggler - Please refrain from posting in multiple threads about this issue.

I will split your posts out from this thread and merge them with the other thread you created.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You gave them the meter number so they made their sale and you are probably now an airtricity customer .

If you want to change back then contact www.cer.ie and complain , they will say you should follow a complaints procedure but if you are not an airtricity customer then there is no reason why you should is there ??

I didn't give them anything. They opened the meter box without permission. They wanted me to give them an esb bill and request the ESB to change over by phone which I refused.

They can hardly switch me over without even knowing my name.

I have complained to both airtricity and CER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I hardly think they'll switch you over without some payment arrangements being made.

I hardly think they'll switch you over without some payment arrangements being made.

You'd be surprised.

When the electricity market first opened to small and medium businesses Airtricity employed door to door salespeople to get customers to switch.

Some of these salespeople were unscrupulous. Many customers complained that after expressing only mild interest to the salesperson, or offering to think some more about it, the found themselves getting closing accounts from the ESB. When they queried why their accounts were closed they were told they had switched to Airtricity much to the surprise of the customers themselves.

I udnerstand that the Regulator had to warn Airtricity - who, in fairness, did not (and do not) countenance such behaviour - at the time about the tactics of some of their salespeople and the situation improved after that.

The same thing happened in the UK in the early days of competition there. Salespeople were employing all sorts of tricks to get customers to switch. Again, OFGEM, the UK Regulator had to warn the companies concerned.

There is a risk for companies using such people. They are probably paid per customer sign-up so the danger is that some of them will employ underhand tactics to increase their hit rate.

So, be very wary if they come to your house. By all means sign up if you are happy with the offering but otherwise don't commit to anything and certainly don't sign any form if you do not wish to switch.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mrs H

I had a similar experience to thejuggler. So beware people! There were two salesmen in the Swords area of Dublin on Monday August 10th. So they may be doing the rounds this week. I usually avoid opening the door to strangers but I happened to be standing at my porch and one of the salesmen was peering through the glass panel, ringing my doorbell while banging on the door! I felt I had to open the door and was so sorry I did.

The fella was very pushy and straightaway launched into his boring sales pitch ''13 percent less than ESB'' etc. I could not have looked less interested if I tried. But he carried on regardless and asked if I had an ESB bill handy. I was a bit taken aback by that. I don't usually show random strangers my bills. When I said I didn't have one handy he told me to go and look for one and he'd call back later! He asked what time would suit and even though I said I had a baby so 'was very busy', he said he'd be there at about 6pm/7pm. At this stage I was closing the door in his face and didn't think he would call back. But he did. He was there at 6pm banging my door down, and did the same again at 7pm while I dived into my kitchen. (I wish I had remembered to close the curtains) I was a bit freaked out the second time and felt it was very aggressive behaviour. I just wish I had been more pushy myself and told him I wasn't interested. But I guess it's an irish thing. We are too polite to tell sales people to go away sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Mrs H wrote: »
    I had a similar experience to thejuggler. So beware people! There were two salesmen in the Swords area of Dublin on Monday August 10th. So they may be doing the rounds this week. I usually avoid opening the door to strangers but I happened to be standing at my porch and one of the salesmen was peering through the glass panel, ringing my doorbell while banging on the door! I felt I had to open the door and was so sorry I did.

The fella was very pushy and straightaway launched into his boring sales pitch ''13 percent less than ESB'' etc. I could not have looked less interested if I tried. But he carried on regardless and asked if I had an ESB bill handy. I was a bit taken aback by that. I don't usually show random strangers my bills. When I said I didn't have one handy he told me to go and look for one and he'd call back later! He asked what time would suit and even though I said I had a baby so 'was very busy', he said he'd be there at about 6pm/7pm. At this stage I was closing the door in his face and didn't think he would call back. But he did. He was there at 6pm banging my door down, and did the same again at 7pm while I dived into my kitchen. (I wish I had remembered to close the curtains) I was a bit freaked out the second time and felt it was very aggressive behaviour. I just wish I had been more pushy myself and told him I wasn't interested. But I guess it's an irish thing. We are too polite to tell sales people to go away sometimes.

jesus christ these are salespeople not hired mercenaries. I live with the folks but if I had my own place or if they were bothering us I would deal with it. Explain them in a firm manner that you are not interested and you do not want them to come back to your house. If they return in blatant disregard of your instruction, this is trespass and they are criminally liable. There is no 2 ways about it. If that situation were to arise and if I was in a particularly bad mood, I would go straight out and punch that person square in the face forcing him to leave my property. Simple as. If more people did this, then these intrusive salespeople wouldn't get away with it as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mrs H

Dan133269 wrote: »
    jesus christ these are salespeople not hired mercenaries. I live with the folks but if I had my own place or if they were bothering us I would deal with it. Explain them in a firm manner that you are not interested and you do not want them to come back to your house. If they return in blatant disregard of your instruction, this is trespass and they are criminally liable. There is no 2 ways about it. If that situation were to arise and if I was in a particularly bad mood, I would go straight out and punch that person square in the face forcing him to leave my property. Simple as. If more people did this, then these intrusive salespeople wouldn't get away with it as much.

I am merely up here to warn people not open their doors to them. These sales people are pests. I am not saying they are evil criminals or anything. But they are annoying.

And I am sure if they call to your parents house one day, you will be as irritated as I was by their behaviour. Although as you are not the bill payer they probably won't be bothered talking to you. It's your parents they will want to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dan133269 boards cannot tolerate the advocation of physical violence. Please refrain from making such comments in future.

dudara

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

These door to door salesmen actually don't work for Airtricity directly and actually are a third party sales company which just does door to door stuff.

Basically one week they are selling Airtricity the next Eircom, while this doesn't mean Airtricity is free from any problems with how the sales people operate it is worth knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yeah one of these a**holes called to my door yesterday evening. Ignorant, cheeky b*stard. I live at home and my mother doesn't take crap from these salesmen so she told him where to go. He left laughing to himself, but in a way which you know he was defeated. One of these holier-than-thou people.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lads these are door to door sales people, they are not hard to get rid of or to tell them your not interested.

Its not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Mrs H wrote: »
    I just wish I had been more pushy myself and told him I wasn't interested. But I guess it's an irish thing. We are too polite to tell sales people to go away sometimes.

No thank you, I'm not interested, now if you'll excuse me <close door>

That's not being pushy, it's simple, to the point, and polite. There's no need to swear or shout at sales people. A smile and a "No thanks" is all it takes. Honestly, I'm thinking of taking up door-to-door selling of "No thank you" signs - I reckon I could sell loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Seems one of our friends had one of these salesmen at the door(Navan). When she said no and tried to close the door, he put his foot in the door.:eek: He then said he'd call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Seems one of our friends had one of these salesmen at the door(Navan). When she no and tried to close the door, he put his foot in the door.:eek: He then said he'd call back.

My door is very heavy. While in the normal course of events I'm all for the politeness, I do have to admit that the last person to do that to me (a political canvasser, not a salesman) got the door slammed on his foot. Normal social conventions work both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Longstaff

The Airtricity door-to-door guys are offering households the opportunity to save 13% on energy bills while lowering your carbon footprint.

If you people took as much time listening to what they had to say rather then whining about them on the internet you might actually realise that they are there to help you and the planet.

If you want to continue paying ESB more to burn fossil fuels that's your business but advertising your stupidity by denegrating the messenger is just plain sad.

These guys work on commission only and it's very tough job thanks to people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

Longstaff wrote: »
    The Airtricity door-to-door guys are offering households the opportunity to save 13% on energy bills while lowering your carbon footprint.

If you people took as much time listening to what they had to say rather then whining about them on the internet you might actually realise that they are there to help you and the planet.

If you want to continue paying ESB more to burn fossil fuels that's your business but advertising your stupidity by denegrating the messenger is just plain sad.

These guys work on commission only and it's very tough job thanks to people like you.
    most people dont have a problem with these reps trying to earn a living ,what we do have a problem with is the understanding or lack of ,of the word NO. i haven't had the pleasure of the airtricity crowd calling but i've bad experiences of H20. if you say NO to alot of these reps they seem to take it personally and their tone changes straight away and in my case i was on the verge of calling the guards to get this particular rep out of my house.
    now judging from whats been said maybe thats what needs to be done. these guys go around the housing estates. so if they being pushy kindly ask them to leave, if they dont call the gurds and explain that whats after happening (they're basically trespassing after being asked to leave). i'm sure they'll be close by when the guards come a calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

And end up in prison as assault is still a crime it makes no difference if you own the grass under your feet or not.

I would go straight out and punch that person square in the face forcing him to leave my property. Simple as. If more people did this, then these intrusive salespeople wouldn't get away with it as much.

Plain and simple your extremely foolish to think such an action is legal, the law will be very much against you if you assault someone like this

Regardless of what you may personally believe you'd be a complete and utter idiot to do this to anyone, the only thing it will land you is a criminal record as you can be assured that the company who employee's the sales rep will press charges as well as the employee themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 farney

It seems door to door sales are increasing. Some of these people are quite agressive and pushy, I have heard of elderly people who agreed to buy something just to get rid of them.

Its important for people to know that there is a cooling off period for such purchases/contracts. If you sign up for something where a salesperson called to your door out of the blue then you can cancel the sale/contract without giving a reason within 7 days, even if you have received the product.

To avoid any problems later make sure you put the cancellation in writing. This doesn't apply in cases where you responded to a flyer/ad and invited them to your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Do you work for Airtricity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Door to door sales should be banned pure and simple. If people have a need for something, they will surely get themselves the shops/phone/web and go and buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Did you actually read the origional post, the issue is not the concept of Door to Door sellers, it was the unethical and pushy actions of the sellers in question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

I have heard of this with Eircom Phonewatch too! i think its the same croud your dealin with (a sales company).

I have switched to Airtricity and very happy with the service, im saving and being good for the environment!!!!:pac::pac::pac:!!

so dont look at Airtricity that way, Airtricity dont know if the sales persons are being pushy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

I had 2 pushy Airtricity salesmen out the other day. I said i wasnt interested but they didnt seem to want to leave. They just walked in.

I was going to smack them, but then i had a better idea.

I said we keep the bills and stuff in the garage, come on out. I got them out in the garden going towards the garage, turned around and locked the back door and went into the living room to watch tv.

They knocked on the back door and windows for about 45 minutes and got no response. Eventually had to go through the trees and and the muck and over the back wall. Im sure their lovely suits were ruined. I doubt they'll be back.

I love messing with salesmen. They are scum is all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement