Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Airtricity pushy door to door salesmen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

di2772 wrote: »
    I had 2 pushy Airtricity salesmen out the other day. I said i wasnt interested but they didnt seem to want to leave. They just walked in.

I was going to smack them, but then i had a better idea.

I said we keep the bills and stuff in the garage, come on out. I got them out in the garden going towards the garage, turned around and locked the back door and went into the living room to watch tv.

They knocked on the back door and windows for about 45 minutes and got no response. Eventually had to go through the trees and and the muck and over the back wall. Im sure their lovely suits were ruined. I doubt they'll be back.

I love messing with salesmen. They are scum is all.

are you trolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Hi di2772,

The salesmen always are around in big citys/areas, I think its a company which are paid by eircom phonewatch and the likes...

So don't look at Airtricity like that, Airtricity are great! i save and a get a lower carbon number on change.ie!

I dont work for airtricity, just use em!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Here's how you get rid of the pushy salesmen that go around for airtricity and eircom,

For airtricity " I've already switched to Bord Gais"
    For eircom " I already have an auto dialler that cost me less then your installation fee never mind the savings I'm making by not having to pay a subscription fee every month for it" /Close door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

Tim M-U wrote: »
    Hi di2772,

The salesmen always are around in big citys/areas, I think its a company which are paid by eircom phonewatch and the likes...

So don't look at Airtricity like that, Airtricity are great! i save and a get a lower carbon number on change.ie!

I dont work for airtricity, just use em!

They were Airtricity salesmen. Doesnt matter what other company they worked for, they came to my door under the Airtricity name. Thats who i blame.
    If Airtricity dont want to be a ssociated with them, dont hire them.
    The buck stops with Airtricity on this one. No point trying to pass off the blame.

I have switched to Bord Gais by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

I had 2 pushy Airtricity salesmen out the other day. I said i wasnt interested but they didnt seem to want to leave. They just walked in.

I said we keep the bills and stuff in the garage, come on out. I got them out in the garden going towards the garage, turned around and locked the back door and went into the living room to watch tv.

They knocked on the back door and windows for about 45 minutes and got no response. Eventually had to go through the trees and and the muck and over the back wall. Im sure their lovely suits were ruined. I doubt they'll be back.

did they look like they were trav*****?

• Advertisement

Tim M-U wrote: »
    did they look like they were trav*****?

Not Unless the travellers are going around with Airtricity Ids nowadays and asking for bills.

Are you sure you're not an Airtricity salesman. You sound like one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

dotsman wrote: »
    To be honest, I would complain to Airtricity first to see what their response is. These "salesmen" might not be directly employed by Airtricity who, in turn, might not be aware that this is going on.

I'd only go to the regulator if Airtricity's response is unsatisfactory.

they are not employeed by Airtricity,they are employeed by one of these promotion companies wont mention their name, but they are ONLY paid on commission so they will do anything for the sale

ring the CER and complain

bungler wrote: »
    they are not employeed by Airtricity,they are employeed by one of these promotion companies wont mention their name, but they are ONLY paid on commission so they will do anything for the sale

ring the CER and complain

So then Airtricity should stop paying them then. The buck stops with Airtricity. Use different companies to sell your product.

So then Airtricity should stop paying them then. The buck stops with Airtricity. Use different companies to sell your product.

just hire people who are decent not jockstraps who will do anything for the sale,but as you said the buck stops with them and if they are bad management then itsd going to pass on to the reps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Longstaff wrote: »
    The Airtricity door-to-door guys are offering households the opportunity to save 13% on energy bills while lowering your carbon footprint.

If you people took as much time listening to what they had to say rather then whining about them on the internet you might actually realise that they are there to help you and the planet.

If you want to continue paying ESB more to burn fossil fuels that's your business but advertising your stupidity by denegrating the messenger is just plain sad.

These guys work on commission only and it's very tough job thanks to people like you.

I have a forest I don't need to lower my carbon footprint :D
    Also worth noting that both Airtricity and Bord Gais buy most of their electricity wholesale from the ESB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Haha, a good friend of mine just got a job with these guys. He has to go door to door and all that. He's a very sound and outgoing guy and I couldn't imagine him being an as$hole about it. Think they have to make 4 to 5 sales from about 100 houses a day just to beat minimum wage rates.
    Not the kind of job I could ever do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Longstaff wrote: »
    If you people took as much time listening to what they had to say rather then whining about them on the internet you might actually realise that they are there to help you and the planet.

Door-to-door salesmen are not there to help me and the planet. They are there to make money and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Here's the easiest way to get rid of them.

Tell them that you, or the mrs., is working for either the esb or bord gais,

and that you're getting a staff discount.

They wouldnt be long moving on to the next door, trust me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

One called to my door and I simply opened it, told him I wasn't interested and closed it. I heard him mutter something about "you must have already switched then" as I closed it. The whole event took all of thirty seconds.

I hate people doing door-to-door calls. Even charity people or canvassers at elections. If I want to give money to charity/vote for a particular political party/change my energy provider, I'll research it and do it myself. My mind won't be swayed by some idiot calling to my door.

Recently I saw one of these callers in my area taking a list of what people were home and at what times. When he called to my door, I took his card and told him I'd be giving it to the guards. I'm sure he had a laugh about it and thought it was funny but it really angered me - these salesmen shouldn't be walking around taking down lists of when people are in their homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 annoyed001

I dont like that company either and good one with the garden and stuff.
    But while I would never accept that behaviour. Its a little harsh to call all salespeople scum. I sell services door to door and our company sticks to very high standards with regards to calling to doors. The main one is one call only once unless otherwise requested. But thanks for telling me that after loosing my job and taking up a sales job to feed my family by working 60 hours a week, that I am now scum. Cheers
    ps. What do you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The Airtricity door-to-door guys are offering households the opportunity to save 13% on energy bills while lowering your carbon footprint.

If you want to continue paying ESB more to burn fossil fuels that's your business but advertising your stupidity by denegrating the messenger is just plain sad.

These guys work on commission only and it's very tough job thanks to people like you.

Longstaff may well be correct in his belief that these D2D`s are acting in our communal best-interests BUT if I do not wish to partake of their munificence then my POLITE "No Thank You" should suffice.

In my case it did not, and I was subjected to a continuing attempt to sell their wares.

I`d be quite happy to pay a 13% premium to keep these people away from my door.
    I already have recieved mail-shots.
    I can view the company`s print media adverts.
    Watch their TV spots AND visit their Web Site should I WISH to avail of their services.

That should be enough......or do I sense some form of panic ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Longstaff may well be correct in his belief that these D2D`s are acting in our communal best-interests BUT if I do not wish to partake of their munificence then my POLITE "No Thank You" should suffice.

In my case it did not, and I was subjected to a continuing attempt to sell their wares.

I`d be quite happy to pay a 13% premium to keep these people away from my door.
    I already have recieved mail-shots.
    I can view the company`s print media adverts.
    Watch their TV spots AND visit their Web Site should I WISH to avail of their ser
    That should be enough......or do I sense some form of panic ?

there is a certain insurance co that really p's me off even do i go door to door myself. i think 8.30 should be the cut off by law. A guy frightened the life out of my wife last week at 9.45. crazy

annoyed001 wrote: »
    I dont like that company either and good one with the garden and stuff.
    But while I would never accept that behaviour. Its a little harsh to call all salespeople scum. I sell services door to door and our company sticks to very high standards with regards to calling to doors. The main one is one call only once unless otherwise requested. But thanks for telling me that after loosing my job and taking up a sales job to feed my family by working 60 hours a week, that I am now scum. Cheers
    ps. What do you do.

Why not just call to someone if they ring and request it? Surely if someone wishes to order your product (whatever it may be), they can look up your website, advertising, promotional flyers etc. and contact your office if they're interested.

there is a certain insurance co that really p's me off even do i go door to door myself. i think 8.30 should be the cut off by law. A guy frightened the life out of my wife last week at 9.45. crazy

There should be a law like in the US where if you put up a sign saying "No Soliciting", then they cannot knock on your door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Lemlin wrote: »
    Why not just call to someone if they ring and request it? Surely if someone wishes to order your product (whatever it may be), they can look up your website, advertising, promotional flyers etc. and contact your office if they're interested.

Because people don't work that way Lemlin. Some people aren't as proactive as you would be. It's called inertia. If companies didn't go out and look for sales, most would have probably folded long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I did door-to-door work for an agency on behalf of Airtricity for a couple of weeks over the summer, and left because it was horrific. Don't be too harsh on them - theyre all minions in a massive pyramid scheme and are being brainwashed into selling, selling, selling. They told everyone that they could realisticaly earn €100,000 in the first 12 months which is pure and utter bullshít.

That said, they are not under any circumstances permitted to read or interfere with your meter without asking you first. Suffice is to say many of my colleagues at the time were liberal in their explanation of the service and I left partly because I wasn't comfortable with that, mostly because the comission was crap.

The only time we ever bent the truth was when people were arrongant and flippant towards us. I never told a lie to sell it and nor did anyone I worked with, but salesman tactics were used - but that's the same with anyone. Either way I'm a damn sight happier doing a proper job now. It was mentioned that the Cork office were getting very high numbers unachieveable in Dublin - speculation here, but very possible that we'[ve found the reason why.

What I will say as well to people is that this is a complete no-brainer- airticity is cleaner, cheaper and more efficient than the ESB. Compared to BG, not so much, but BG are ex-goverment and should be avoided as far as I'm concerned cos of all the beaurocracy. I've heard rumours they won't last too.

stepbar wrote: »
    Because people don't work that way Lemlin. Some people aren't as proactive as you would be. It's called inertia. If companies didn't go out and look for sales, most would have probably folded long ago.

So let them look for sales through their website, advertising, word of mouth etc. Not every company has idiots calling to people's doors trying to force products on them so I don't get your point tbh.

There are plenty of other ways they could promote the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Lemlin wrote: »
    So let them look for sales through their website, advertising, word of mouth etc. Not every company has idiots calling to people's doors trying to force products on them so I don't get your point tbh.

There are plenty of other ways they could promote the company.

There's no real difference between calling someone up and calling to their door. It's the same concept. Most company have a sales team on the phones looking for business. And if they didn't I can guarentee most of them would go bust waiting for Joe Public to discover their product or pick up the phone. Think of how many people change their bank a/c during their lifetime and you'll get the picture.
    Not every company has massive marketing budgets to throw at advertising.

Nobody forcing anything on anyone. The salesman can talk all they like but you hold the right to say no. It's just another sales channel that companies us. Granted the approach taken by these salespeople have a lot to be desired but it's a legit sales approach.

stepbar wrote: »
    There's no real difference between calling someone up and calling to their door. It's the same concept. Most company have a sales team on the phones looking for business. And if they didn't I can guarentee most of them would go bust waiting for Joe Public to discover their product or pick up the phone. Think of how many people change their bank a/c during their lifetime and you'll get the picture.
    Not every company has massive marketing budgets to throw at advertising.

Nobody forcing anything on anyone. The salesman can talk all they like but you hold the right to say no. It's just another sales channel that companies us. Granted the approach taken by these salespeople have a lot to be desired but it's a legit sales approach.

Yes but any company I've ever worked for or know of have a sales team who are there to answer the queries or setup accounts for people who ring the business and want to be contacted. Not every business has sales people calling out to doors or calling people on the phone.

If they want to use this type of selling, why not go to marketplace? Why don't Airtricity have a stall at the Fairyhouse markets each Sunday? A place where people actually go to buy things? Or even Cloger market in Fermanagh? Why don't they jkeep their sales people for trade fairs etc.?

I don't get your point about the banks tbh. AIB or Ulster bank don't have people calling to my door but when I wanted a mortgage I made sure I went to them all to get a price. Its called shopping round and the customer can do that without any idiot calling to their door.

sdonn wrote: »
    I did door-to-door work for an agency on behalf of Airtricity for a couple of weeks over the summer, and left because it was horrific. Don't be too harsh on them - theyre all minions in a massive pyramid scheme and are being brainwashed into selling, selling, selling. They told everyone that they could realisticaly earn €100,000 in the first 12 months which is pure and utter bullshít.

That said, they are not under any circumstances permitted to read or interfere with your meter without asking you first. Suffice is to say many of my colleagues at the time were liberal in their explanation of the service and I left partly because I wasn't comfortable with that, mostly because the comission was crap.

The only time we ever bent the truth was when people were arrongant and flippant towards us. I never told a lie to sell it and nor did anyone I worked with, but salesman tactics were used - but that's the same with anyone. Either way I'm a damn sight happier doing a proper job now. It was mentioned that the Cork office were getting very high numbers unachieveable in Dublin - speculation here, but very possible that we'[ve found the reason why.

What I will say as well to people is that this is a complete no-brainer- airticity is cleaner, cheaper and more efficient than the ESB. Compared to BG, not so much, but BG are ex-goverment and should be avoided as far as I'm concerned cos of all the beaurocracy. I've heard rumours they won't last too.

Why wouldn,t they last. They are in the middle of one of the most sucessful marketing campaigns in the last 10 years and are due to open the most efficient large powerstation in the country next year and are being run like a private company either to sell to the private sector at the best possible price or to avoid being pressurised into selling. now thats beaurocracy.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I had one of these at the door the other week. I told him i was already with airtricity for months (actually not a lie, I have been) and he went away without a word or query. I would reccomend anyone who wants to get rid of them to just adapt this approach.

sdonn wrote: »

who ever told you they wont last 2 long must have been well drunk and not very clued into the real world. They have signed up 230,000 customers in 7 months as far as i know there is no other company in ireland that have signed up that volume in the past 18 months. and i agree with the point that they are building a power plant that will be cleaner than any other in ireland.

and lets not forget that Airtricity lost a court case regarding their advertising being partially false, the bit about them been green lol.

Im still laughing over your comment that bord gais not lasting thats the silliest thing i have ever read

bungler wrote: »
    who ever told you they wont last 2 long must have been well drunk and not very clued into the real world. They have signed up 230,000 customers in 7 months as far as i know there is no other company in ireland that have signed up that volume in the past 18 months. and i agree with the point that they are building a power plant that will be cleaner than any other in ireland.

and lets not forget that Airtricity lost a court case regarding their advertising being partially false, the bit about them been green lol.

Im still laughing over your comment that bord gais not lasting thats the silliest thing i have ever read

44 30 37

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I had an Airtricity guy call, nice old guy. When I said actually I had switched to Board Gas he congratulated me for switching saying many are too scared to change utility companies. He said I was the third person that day. He obviously knew he could not better the board gas deal so did not try. He did mention that Airtricity is greener and I was about to point out that it makes little difference as all the power comes from the same grid anyway and so most of the electricity I use is still ESB but the conversation ended at that point.

Still the point is, he was not pushy and in fact I found it the opposite and I was surprised when he did not even make an effort.

• Advertisement

44 30 37

wat does 44 30 37 mean???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement