Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Airtricity pushy door to door salesmen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

bungler wrote: »
    wat does 44 30 37 mean???
    24 24 92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

BnA wrote: »
    24 24 92

well done, you made everyone wet themselves with laughter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 annoyed001

bungler wrote: »
    wat does 44 30 37 mean???

sorry that was the young lady doin a test run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

annoyed001 wrote: »
    sorry that was the young lady doin a test run.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah had a pushy guy come to my door the other night, very pushy I said I wasn't interested, he said your not interested in saving 13%, I said give me the leaflet and business card he had in his hand, he said he wasn't allowed give me his business card or he would be sacked and that Airtricity don't allow them to hand out leaflets because they are a green company, so I said I'd google airtricity and check them out (which I came across this thread lol) now he is calling back on Saturday, how will I get rid of him, ok I'm with the ESB, but I'm happy enough I'll make my own decision in my own time, btw is Bord Gais cheaper then Airtricity or are they around the same price? I'd like to say to him that I've decided to go with Bord Gais just to get rid of him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i had one of those airtricity sellers around a few weeks ago and he was interfering with the meterbox at the side of the house, i immediately asked what he wanted and he started telling me about how i could save 30% on my electricity costs. i am going to write to airtricity complaining about this as interfering with the meter is a serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

now he is calling back on Saturday, how will I get rid of him
    Tell him you've switched to Bord Gais.

=-=

Folks switched to Bord Gais in the last few weeks: they were already getting gas from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671512

There was a knock on the door just now, a guy in a green jacket says "Hi, can I read your meter?" I notice then it says Airtricity on his jacket and ask why. He says he wants to read the meter and do I have old ESB bill?

He says he need a number off of it and also to read the meter and I'll get a reduced electricity bill.

I cop on and ask "by giving you the number and letting you read the meter do I switch from ESB to Airtricity?" He says yes. I says thanks and "I'll contact you".

From the outset it seemed he was here to read the meter, he did not start by asking would I want to change provider.

In effect, if I hadn't copped on to that it was a sales pitch he would have got my ESB number, read the meter and suddenly I would have switched energy provider. All without saying "Do you want to switch?"

Actually I have considered a long time to switch over, even got them to send me brochures and stuff. Now I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Magnus wrote: »
    From the outset it seemed he was here to read the meter, he did not start by asking would I want to change provider.

In effect, if I hadn't copped on to that it was a sales pitch he would have got my ESB number, read the meter and suddenly I would have switched energy provider. All without saying "Do you want to switch?"

Actually I have considered a long time to switch over, even got them to send me brochures and stuff. Now I'm not so sure.
    Ask for ID, and report him, if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Saruman wrote: »
    I had an Airtricity guy call, nice old guy. When I said actually I had switched to Board Gas he congratulated me for switching saying many are too scared to change utility companies. He said I was the third person that day. He obviously knew he could not better the board gas deal so did not try. He did mention that Airtricity is greener and I was about to point out that it makes little difference as all the power comes from the same grid anyway and so most of the electricity I use is still ESB but the conversation ended at that point.

Still the point is, he was not pushy and in fact I found it the opposite and I was surprised when he did not even make an effort.
    To be pedantic, it means that airtricity have to buy a slightly higher percentage of green electricity from the pool, thereby increaseing the amount of green electricity and decreasing the amount of brown electricity needed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Good god they have a bloody cheek, If I caught someone at my meter messing about one of two things would happen. The coppers would be called or they would be leaving my property with a boot up the backside.

Those are some very sinister tactics indeed , asking for the esb bill etc and I'm sure there are many who have fallen for it and got a bit of a shock when they received a bill from airtricity :mad:

As for folks above who asked how to get rid of them etc. don't bother telling them anything, either don't answer or politely tell him to go away , then impolitely if he is persistant ;) They are well used to having doors slammed on them I'm sure. They thrive on people being polite to get an "in".

In general people need to wise up and not allow themselves to be bullied on their own doorsteps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Magnus wrote: »
    There was a knock on the door just now, a guy in a green jacket says "Hi, can I read your meter?" I notice then it says Airtricity on his jacket and ask why. He says he wants to read the meter and do I have old ESB bill?

He says he need a number off of it and also to read the meter and I'll get a reduced electricity bill.

I cop on and ask "by giving you the number and letting you read the meter do I switch from ESB to Airtricity?" He says yes. I says thanks and "I'll contact you".

I think thats unreal, i wonder what would airtricity have to say about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

btw is Bord Gais cheaper then Airtricity or are they around the same price?

If you're already a gas customer with Bord Gáis and you agree to pay by direct debit for electricity, they will give you a 14% discount on the ESB tariff if you switch over.

Airtricity will offer you a maximum of 13% on ESB's tariff. However, again you must sign up for direct debit and "flat rate billing" to get the maximum discount.
    I don't like their method of billing. For example, if your total bill for the last year was €1200, they will simply bill you €100 a month and then carry out a correction on the 12th month based on the actual meter read. It means you're essentially getting estimated bills for 11 months and then could get caught with a large catch-up bill in the 12th month.
    It makes their billing process cheaper and easier. Once it's set up, it can automatically be issued every month with minimum intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Heroditas wrote: »
    I don't like their method of billing. For example, if your total bill for the last year was €1200, they will simply bill you €100 a month and then carry out a correction on the 12th month based on the actual meter read. It means you're essentially getting estimated bills for 11 months and then could get caught with a large catch-up bill in the 12th month.
    It makes their billing process cheaper and easier. Once it's set up, it can automatically be issued every month with minimum intervention.

ESB used offer something like that, and I loved it - sadly they stopped offering it about 4 years ago, so when I moved to my new place I couldn't get it. The ESB used still do meter readings, and adjust the monthly price from time to time, but once you had built up a pattern it all worked quite well. All my heating comes from storage heaters, so my winter bills can be huge, but my summer bills are really low. Spreading it out evenly worked better for me, as I knew that there was roughly X amount per month coming out, rather than random amounts every two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Some guy called to my door a few weeks ago.I said im not interested in what ever your selling,,he tells me he is not selling anything.So i said ok what is it.he only got to say 1 word "Airtricity" ..eh no thanks ,closes door.

Thanks for the advise, I look forward to him returning tomorrow, as the same fecker was looking for a number off an old esb bill, didn't ask for a look at the metre but I'm sure that would be next. I'll just say I'm going with Bord Gais, even though I'm probably not going to switch from the ESB.

Thanks for the advise, I look forward to him returning tomorrow, as the same fecker was looking for a number off an old esb bill, didn't ask for a look at the metre but I'm sure that would be next. I'll just say I'm going with Bord Gais, even though I'm probably not going to switch from the ESB.

Funny the way no one from airtricity is coming on to defend themselves.
    Two girls called to my wife last week. They were grand , not pushy or anything but then they said she would save 25% by switching. So the wife asked where could she see that in writing. They said they were out of leaflets so the wife says she was on the net when they knocked and she can get it up on the website in 30 secs. They said they were in a rush and left. Even when they tell the "truth" and quote 13% Its still a lie because its 13% off the esb tarrif after the vat is deducted so Its actually less than 11%

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Rip-off-Ireland, Rip off Ireland, isn't it terrible, so expensive, what a rip off.....blah blah blahdy blah

Then someone comes along, with an offer to save you a heap of money,
    and it's "I couldn't look more bored", "terribly pushy", "I'm going to complain"

YOU WHINGERS MAKE ME SICK

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

T-Square wrote: »
    Rip-off-Ireland, Rip off Ireland, isn't it terrible, so expensive, what a rip off.....blah blah blahdy blah

Then someone comes along, with an offer to save you a heap of money,
    and it's "I couldn't look more bored", "terribly pushy", "I'm going to complain"

YOU WHINGERS MAKE ME SICK

There's a huge difference between being offered a good service and having your service switched without your knowledge or consent.

Now if you wouldn't mind posting up your bank and credit card details I'll sort your out with a much better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

5uspect wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between being offered a good service and having your service switched without your knowledge or consent.

Now if you wouldn't mind posting up your bank and credit card details I'll sort your out with a much better deal.

Without your consent?
    1. They knock on your door
    2. info you of the saving to be made
    3. ask you to change by providing your account number
    4. and then they call the ESB on the stop, on your behalf

How does "without your knowledge" or "without consent" come into the equation?

Don't give your account number if you don't want it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Have you actually read the thread ffs?

Most people are saying that the salesmen explicitly don't tell then that they're being changed. They only find out AFTER they receive a bill in the post.

T-Square wrote: »
    Without your consent?
    1. They knock on your door
    2. info you of the saving to be made
    3. ask you to change by providing your account number
    4. and then they call the ESB on the stop, on your behalf
    How does "without your knowledge" or "without consent" come into the equation?

Don't give your account number if you don't want it.

I dont think anyone is saying that none of them do their job right but there is definatly a lot of them that are so aware of their own lack of knowledge of the basic sales process that the only way they can sell a sub standard product is to lie. Some of them even claim to be the same company as Bord Gais just cause they know they will have a better chance of selling. By the way, 10 or 20 euro off each bill is hardly loads of money. It is what it is, A bit of a savings, no more , no less. Also People have the right to shut their own door on anyone. A half decent salesperson will just move on and be glad no time was wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Sneaking onto people's property, not ever asking them if they want to change but doing it anyway?That's the pushy obnoxious part.

methinks you maybe work for Airtricity?

still waiting for Mr Airtricity to arrive at my door, I take it he can't switch me over without the code off my bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

still waiting for Mr Airtricity to arrive at my door, I take it he can't switch me over without the code off my bill?

He could phone the ESB and pretend to be you to get your MPRN number. It has been known to happen. The ESB I understand have had to tighten their procedures to prevent it occurring. A small number of customers are finding themselves switched without their knowledge on an ongoing basis. If you get a final bill from the ESB you know it will have happened to you. In which case you will need to contact the ESB to reverse the process.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

People in dublin should be aware the some of the airtricity agents that come to your door are very dodgy. Agents are trained to say anything to make a sale or 'close'. Buyer beware.

hello932 wrote: »
    People in dublin should be aware the some of the airtricity agents that come to your door are very dodgy. Agents are trained to say anything to make a sale or 'close'. Buyer beware.

True. In fairness it should be against the law for any door to door salesperson to be hired on a commision only basis. The company will call it incentive but the fact is it leads to lies and pusshyness. The new recruits are told they can earn a grand a week and then find out the reality and thats why problems arrise.

Fnergg wrote: »
    He could phone the ESB and pretend to be you to get your MPRN number. It has been known to happen. The ESB I understand have had to tighten their procedures to prevent it occurring. A small number of customers are finding themselves switched without their knowledge on an ongoing basis. If you get a final bill from the ESB you know it will have happened to you. In which case you will need to contact the ESB to reverse the process.

Regards,

Fnergg

Thanks I'll ring the ESB tomorrow to make sure no one made any changes to my account, he never called back which worries me he might have tried something like that, seriously this should be highlighted on something like Joe Duffy to warn people and get Airtricity to cancel the contract with these guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

It is very easy to get rid of these people, and politely..

Eircom called, sorry i work for Smart have staff rates..end of converstion.
    Airtricity called, sorry I work for the ESB, staff rates, end of converstion.
    and so on and so on.
    Always works, no hassle, quick end to cnversation...

• Advertisement

So I rang ESB customer support just now and they ask two security questions to you 1) confirm telephone number and date of birth to make sure your the account holder, so unless the Airtricity gimp can get your account number/phone number & date of birth you should be ok, I suppose they could get it out of some people which would be totally wrong. Anyway happy they didn't try it on with my account :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement