Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Airtricity pushy door to door salesmen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

It is possible to get the 14% discount for another year - after 11 months make the switch back to the esb. Its a similar process to the switch over and would only take 10 minutes. Leave it a month and then switch back in your partners name. You are then treated as a new customer and thereby eligible for the full discount. Easy :D Might sound like hassle but the switch only takes 10 mins with which ever company you do it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Had an airtricity sales person call the other day. She knocked at the door, and I took one look at her airtricity name badge thing and said no thanks, I'm not interested at the moment, I'm moving house tomorrow (which I'm not) That wasn't enough to get rid, she kept on going on and on, while I kept on saying I'm not interested over and over again:rolleyes: Eventually she did leave because I basically gave one final "I'm not interested" and shut the door on her.

Why, when you say that you are not interested, do they not go away:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just say "No thanks" and then close the door in their face whether they're still talking or not. They generally go away then, I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Alun wrote: »
    Just say "No thanks" and then close the door in their face whether they're still talking or not. They generally go away then, I find.

+1, and if they don't go away threaten to call the GArdai on them for tresspassing

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭manna452121

To date I have had 8 sales people calling and even today number 8 wanted to just talk about GAS.No thanks is not in their contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

This was a major complaint in the UK years ago due to high numbers of people changing utility suppliers without knowing anything about it.

I have no problem with door salespeople these days. They ring, I answer, they start speaking, I say that I'm unemployed right now and the interest seeps out of their expression while I watch. They stay polite, but in a cold way. It's like insulting them, but without the shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

My housemate switched from Bord Gais to Airtricity last week because he believed the salesman script about 13% savings. I could hear the salesman ask for a copy of the bill and where the meter was but I didn't bother stopping him. Even though were were paying less by sticking with Bord Gais for gas and paying by Direct Debit, I suppose it's only a fraction of a % difference.

I'm not against door to door salesmen, but it seems like a pretty big thing to switch over on a Saturday afternoon with a stranger asking for bank details and bills. Why not look at all the prices together as well as the small print THEN switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Similar experience here also last month.

I had a three Airtricity reps round and wasn't impressed with thier marketing skills one bit and for that reason I won't be switching to them.

First they asked who I was with, I said BGE. Then I was asked to show them my bill confused.gif, I refused and asked why they wanted to see my bill, they said they wanted to take my details and show me the savings I could make and they would then ring the BGE on my behalf to cancel and sign me over to them. I replied that I did not make a decision to switch to them and that they did not need my bill to show me the savings I could make.

Then I got the whole green energy lecture, "it's 100% green", to that I replied yes and no. I was asked what I ment by that remake and I said that the electricity coming into my house was not 100% green, I was told I was wrong and that all my electricity was been generated by the wind. So I then asked, "does Airtricity supply the whole of the countries electricity then ?", the rep said no rolleyes.gif, so I asked then how can the supply to me be 100% green if you only input a precentage into the grid, "but it is 100% green to your home he replied".

Then it was back to the savings, you will be saving 15%, said I wasn't swicthing as I had gas with BG also and happy at that. "We're doing gas too !" the rep then says, I said again I was't switching and he then comes back saying what part of 15% saving don't you get, you will save 15% over the next year with us. I then asked what happens after that year, he didn't know and I then said I was happy with BGE and wasn't really bothered about a €100 saving for the year. With that the rep replies "well you must be well off, it's your money, do what you want then !" So I just replied, "yes it's my money and with an attitude like that you won't be getting my money or many customers" mad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They need 4 pieces of info to switch you:

1. MPRN
    2. Name and address

Both are on your ESB bill

3. Meter reading which they can get by opening your meter box.
    4. Bank account details. Not really needed to switch though.

Just may sure they do not gain sight of your bill and you are safe from switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

To date I have had 8 sales people calling and even today number 8 wanted to just talk about GAS.No thanks is not in their contract.

They must not like me, never called even once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Groucho2000

They can probably also see from your bill if you are overdue or a nice Direct Debit customer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I had the pushy Airtriciy sales rep at the door last night.After I told him I wasn't interested cause I already switched to Bord Gais for my electricity. He starting rabbiting on for 10 mins about their GAS how much I would save with
    them if I signed up for their Gas.When I told him I never sign up to anything without doing some research online first he then said he'd call back today. Not impressed at all with these pushy sales tactics and I'm just going to give him a flat out NO when he calls back today.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

PWEI wrote: »
    I had the pushy Airtriciy sales rep at the door last night.After I told him I wasn't interested cause I already switched to Bord Gais for my electricity. He starting rabbiting on for 10 mins about their GAS how much I would save with
    them if I signed up for their Gas.When I told him I never sign up to anything without doing some research online first he then said he'd call back today. Not impressed at all with these pushy sales tactics and I'm just going to give him a flat out NO when he calls back today.
    tell them you have a token meter.airtricity dont accept them,they will disappear quick enough.works all the time.:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I'v had about 3 airtricity ppl knock at my door. When told no they all go away.

When the gf says no they push. I just come tell them no thanks and they're gone. I don't be rude or anything.

Reminds me of the time someone drove into the estate and was parked nearly outside looking at my house and my neighbours. Then he drove halfway down the road and stopped. Myself and my partner were going out so as we were driving she stops and asks if he was lost or something. He says no and just rolls his window up still looking suspicious.

We went to the shop got some drinks, then decided to go for a spin so we spot the same guy and car in the next housing estate. About 5 mins down the road we spot a guard and pull him in and tell him the story. Well it turns out the guy worked for airtricity! Was checking out the area first. Guard checked his ID and rang airtricity to confirm it. Also checked what he was writing lol

There was a few break ins a few months beforehand so I am still glad we did it. The gf had asked was he lost in a tone that anyone would take as wtf u doing outside my house acting like a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I have had two of them around recently.

First one asked me was I aware of the savings and I said yes I was but I wasn't interested in switching. She said are you sure you don't want to save 200 euro a year and I said yes I was.

Second one asked the same. I just said that if I was going to switch I would do it online or over the phone in my own time and I certainly wouldn't be doing it with someone on my doorstep. He left after I said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I had one knock at my door yesterday. I saw the ID badge as soon as I opened the door and straight away said no thanks and went to close the door. He had a look on his face like I'd just ran over his dog, genuinely hurt. I re-opened it (I'm a soft touch) slightly and said your with airtricity I can see your Id and I'm not interested, he asked if I was with board gais, I said yes and I dont want to change then I closed the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

i worked as a door to door salesman in Melbourne Au selling electricty. I was a backpacker & i was desperate for money. i hated that humiliating job.

Done it for about 2 weeks made 6 sales altogether (ill put my hands up im not a very convincing salesman) :rolleyes:. Btw their is over 10 energy companies Victoria & NSW so their all fighting for a slice of the market most of them offer the same kind of deal at the end of the day. Even doh you Pitched in the training to say otherwise. to get them to sign up
    Ok you may save up to 100$ a yr but so what its not going to break the bank.
    If some1 is with Bord Gais now & a Airtricity salesman wants you to switch their is no real point you might save €25 a yr but its hardly worth the hassle

Id love if 2 of those called to my door tomor. coz id just open the door stand there & say Nothing. Just for Laughs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

So, they're back in our area again (4 callers over the last 2+ weeks; 3 of them different however that works). For kicks, I just said to the last guy "not interested, thanks" but stayed there (instead of closing the door in his face). I answered "none of your business" to his following 6 questions. He broke on the 6th which was "are you OK?"!!

Still, he went off muttering "a lot of people really don't realise the mistake they're making by not signing up" in a tone that would break the heart of a man that could stare in to sad puppy dog eyes without flinching.

I'm through being polite with these pests. I'm big on being polite, if firm, and I pity any genuine ones out there trying to make a living. But if you come to my door and be extremely rude, and pushy, to me, then I'll forgo that principle and return the rudeness. Unfortunately.

I am thankful that living in the sticks, i never get these people calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

cgarvey wrote: »
    For kicks, I just said to the last guy "not interested, thanks" but stayed there (instead of closing the door in his face). I answered "none of your business" to his following 6 questions. He broke on the 6th which was "are you OK?"!!

This really made me laugh:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

its getting very annoying that if the first five airtricity salesmen couldn't persuade me, then why would the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 liz.fitz

I haven't had the pleasure of the Airtricity salesmen calling to my door YET!! But i did have a Board Gais rep call last month asking me to make the switch. He was very convincing not too pushy, but i am 8 months pregnant and had a 6yr and 2yr pulling out of me so was very flustered and agreed to making the switch. I showed an ESB bill and explained due to lack of work, baby due etc.. we are currently in arrears, he said was not a problem everything gets transferred over no need to clear bill. This week i recieved a letter from ESB demanding arrears to be cleared or we will be brought to court!! Has anyone else had this problem??

Arrears are not transferred to the new supplier, so you were lied to right there. I don't know if you can be switched if you have arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

liz.fitz wrote: »
    ...But i did have a Board Gais rep call last month asking me to make the switch. ... I showed an ESB bill and explained due to lack of work, baby due etc.. we are currently in arrears, he said was not a problem everything gets transferred over no need to clear bill. This week i recieved a letter from ESB demanding arrears to be cleared or we will be brought to court!! Has anyone else had this problem??

The BG rep was lying if he said everything gets transferred over. What happens is you are transferred from a current date and you only become a BG customer as from that date. All charges incurred up to that time are payable to the ESB.

Your best bet now is to contact the ESB and come to a payment arrangement for the closing account - they are usually very accommodating. Be sure to keep your account with BG arrrears free though - they are not!.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

bit like sky salesmen, unfortunately it seems that there are a minority who will lie to get your signature and there is no comeback afterwards because its all word of mouth. I always find if a salesman is telling me porkies, then I get out a piece of paper and tell then I am writing it down and would they mind signing it so I have it in writing, then you are guaranteed to have the truth!
    Much prefer changing online than with a salesman

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭manna452121

I had another salesperson calling today,my ninth visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

keep a bucket of pish just inside the door:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm sure the old trick for nuisance callers on the phone would work perfectly here.

Blow a whistle out the door at them , and maybe even keep a red card to hand and show that to them while blowing the whistle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

I think they need to be careful with their door to door manner. I've experienced it, it's appalling. I intentionally gave one or their competitors business since my first encounter with them. I feel sorry for the business, if this is what they consider a satisfactory sales etiquette. I really do.

Calling to people's front door is not the same as approaching them in a retail setting. At least in the latter case, the potential customer has expressed some interest by taking action first (entering the shop). When I'm at home, I'm not expressing any interest before the agent makes the first move.

So at the moment, because I've lost all respect for door to door sales, I just waste the agents time by taking names, asking personal questions, before finally telling them to get off my property and closing the door.

Soon I'm going to start taking photographs and video, up until the point they are back on public property after the end of my driveway. Who the hell would want to be a door to door sales person, if they knew they were going to be met with having their faces published online on a wall of shame under a big sign that says "I tried to waste someones time".

I have great respect for the art and science of sales, but I think there is a time and place for it. An impromptu visit to someone's front door, with the assumption that you can generate interest and possibly close a sale is is in my mind disrespectful to your prospect, but that's my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Longstaff wrote: »
    The Airtricity door-to-door guys are offering households the opportunity to save 13% on energy bills while lowering your carbon footprint.

If you people took as much time listening to what they had to say rather then whining about them on the internet you might actually realise that they are there to help you and the planet.

If you want to continue paying ESB more to burn fossil fuels that's your business but advertising your stupidity by denegrating the messenger is just plain sad.

These guys work on commission only and it's very tough job thanks to people like you.
    thats very well said longstaff,, i lost my job last year, like lots of people,, and i had no choice but to do this kind of work,, airtricty do save u money and ur helping the planet,, i am just trying to pay the bills,, kids, mortage, and food, people who see u walking up their drive and raise their eyes to the sky need to stop and think that we are just trying to earn a living, and to those other people who see u and we see them and just sit on the sofa and wait 4 us to walk away??? SHAME ON U.. a polite no thank u, and we got to next house,, next time some 1 knocks just think,,,, if that was me out their i would like some1 to answer d door.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement