Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Airtricity pushy door to door salesmen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

T-Square wrote: »
    Rip-off-Ireland, Rip off Ireland, isn't it terrible, so expensive, what a rip off.....blah blah blahdy blah

Then someone comes along, with an offer to save you a heap of money,
    and it's "I couldn't look more bored", "terribly pushy", "I'm going to complain"

YOU WHINGERS MAKE ME SICK
    very well said t-square

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

thats very well said longstaff,, i lost my job last year, like lots of people,, and i had no choice but to do this kind of work,, airtricty do save u money and ur helping the planet,, i am just trying to pay the bills,, kids, mortage, and food, people who see u walking up their drive and raise their eyes to the sky need to stop and think that we are just trying to earn a living, and to those other people who see u and we see them and just sit on the sofa and wait 4 us to walk away??? SHAME ON U.. a polite no thank u, and we got to next house,, next time some 1 knocks just think,,,, if that was me out their i would like some1 to answer d door.

I've given a polite no thank you to so many of you by now I've asked begged them to stop knocking on my door, yet they still come.

I explain to all of them I'm with Bord Gáis. They're cheaper and I'm leaving the country at the end of the year so I don't care if you better next year.

No body owes you a living and they certainly don't have to put up with this behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

SHAME ON U.. a polite no thank u, and we got to next house,, next time some 1 knocks just think,,,, if that was me out their i would like some1 to answer d door.
    I've had four sets of reps from your company round now in two months and still you cannot take a hint, "I'm not joining !!"

I tried the polite no thank and it has not worked, first set I tried it on only to have my door pushed back open and been spoken too like a child and then abused and this has been more or less the same for the following three occassions. I emailed Airtricity complaints department about it and I've heard nothing back, not as much as an apology :mad:.

I'm sick to death with them calling now at this stage, and as for the whole "green, your saving the planet and we do gas now too", how is gas saving the planet and just how much green generated energy is coming to my house because it certainly isn't 100% like two sets of reps have stated to me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Anyone so inclined to change will have done so by now. And most will change via the phone or online in their own good time and not via someone on the doorstep.

I just say I am already with whatever company they are working for and that gets rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

has a "no cold calling" sign any legal effect in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Nope.

You have to place each company on notice that if they keep calling they are trespassers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

A shotgun on display is much more effective :D

Unfortunatly expect the guards :D

Yawns wrote: »
    A shotgun on display is much more effective :D

Unfortunatly expect the guards :D
    And a prison sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

a big scary dog in ur front garden keeps them away from knocking the door

delllat wrote: »
    a big scary dog in ur front garden keeps them away from knocking the door
    i really hope all of the above names, dont lose ur great jobs and av to do this kinda work,, i bloody av to do it to feed my kids, i do my job right and tell the truth,, i know some tell lie's but i dont,, i do ok, but believe me if i could i would do another job, but as i cant i am thankful to be earning even if it is a bit krap to do, its a JOB and its better than sitting on the sofa feeling sorry 4 myself, is'nt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66978843&postcount=868

care to explain this then if you tell the truth

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66978843&postcount=868

care to explain this then if you tell the truth
    up to 13% on gas and up to 10% on electric it aint rocket science, check thier website it will say the same.................enough said.

so you are saying that is 23% off

you obviously were told incorrect information

ill make it simple for you

gas bill lets say 100 euro
    13% saving
    so bill will be 87 euro
    saving 13 euro

leccy bill lets say 100 euro
    10% saving
    so bill will be 90 euro
    saving 10 euro

total before discount 200 euro for both bills
    saving in total on both bills 23 euro

23% of the 200 would be 46 euro

but in reality im only saving 23 euro
    but you said 23% saving

rameire wrote: »
    ill make it simple for you

gas bill lets say 100 euro
    13% saving
    so bill will be 87 euro
    saving 13 euro

leccy bill lets say 100 euro
    10% saving
    so bill will be 90 euro
    saving 10 euro

total before discount 200 euro for both bills
    saving in total on both bills 23 euro

23% of the 200 would be 46 euro

but in reality im only saving 23 euro
    but you said 23% saving
    i said UP TO 23%...... and i am not turning this into a slagging match.. goodnight.

i said UP TO 23%...... and i am not turning this into a slagging match.. goodnight.

im not getting into a slagging match, im just trying to educate you on the correct way you should be selling.

sure if you keep on saying up to 23% which is totally false
    why not say up to 100% its just as false

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - knock it off

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    Posters - knock it off

dudara
    tryin 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

i really hope all of the above names, dont lose ur great jobs and av to do this kinda work,, i bloody av to do it to feed my kids, i do my job right and tell the truth,, i know some tell lie's but i dont,, i do ok, but believe me if i could i would do another job, but as i cant i am thankful to be earning even if it is a bit krap to do, its a JOB and its better than sitting on the sofa feeling sorry 4 myself, is'nt it.

I think you are missing the point of most posters on here. I was a salesman for the best of 10 years and I have never needed to bully people into buying something off me and that includes cold calling. Some of your colleagues and other door to door salesmen are pure mutton heads and bad salesmen. Some are so bad it brings them down the road of bullying and lying to potential customers and also being far too pushy to folk.

Now having had the experience from both sides of the door people like these morons make it hard for the honest seller. A good sales man doesn't need to bull**** his way to a sale or lie or bully. Anyone who tells you they do are rubbish salesmen. And trust I know a fair few of them out there.

The simple fact here is the majority from experience of door to door salesmen are rubbish. And would tell you anything to gain a sale or be pushy about it or show bad manners. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Having dealt directly and indirectly in a professional and private capacity with these "sales agents", I can safely say that the agents employed on behalf of airtricity just blatently out and out lie to people. A salesmans job may be to bend the truth in their favour, (so "tiny" in a house description becomes "cosy" etc) but to blatently manipulate figures and lie to people in order to gain customers is wrong.

You would wonder if these lies and mistruths were concocted by the sales agents or sanctioned by airtricity/SSE directly, to increase their market share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Longstaff wrote: »
    The Airtricity door-to-door guys are offering households the opportunity to save 13% on energy bills while lowering your carbon footprint.

How do they lower the carbon footprint.......do they have their own electricity maker?

This is the thing. They have no way to ensure you only get the green electrons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Haddockman wrote: »
    This is the thing. They have no way to ensure you only get the green electrons.
    Airtricty/SSE (and all other generators) produce electricity, which is sold into the pool. The suplliers (ESB/BGE/Airtricity, amongst other companies such as energia, esbie and vayu that sell to SME/IC only) buy electricity from the pool. "Green electricity" is more expensive - airtricity buy green electricity and then sell it on to end users. Whether you sign up with airtricity or not will not have any effect on the amount of green electricity generated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

old_aussie wrote: »
    How do they lower the carbon footprint.......do they have their own electricity maker?

"airtricity".....windmills dude.

I've a lot of sympathy for the door to door guys. its a crap job, and they are only doing it since there is nothing else out there. They could go on the dole and sit on their backsides but they don't. Hats off, I say.

If they are pushy, then good. Thats what sales people are supposed to be.

If they are a pest, then bad. Be firm, but don't be rude.

I've had about 30 house calls from Airtricity and Eircom phone watch. Mostly they were people under 25 trying to mae a bit of cash. All of them had the big sales pitch. All of them would take No for an answer.

One thing I don't like is the eircom phone watch dudes. I don't like telling people if I have or don't have a house alarm.

My large rottweiller usually puts them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Bill2673 wrote: »

I've a lot of sympathy for the door to door guys. its a crap job, and they are only doing it since there is nothing else out there. They could go on the dole and sit on their backsides but they don't. Hats off, I say.

Yes it is a crap job but there is no excuse for the majority of them being a$$holes and lying about the savings and product.
    If they are pushy, then good. Thats what sales people are supposed to be.

If they are a pest, then bad. Be firm, but don't be rude.

I have to disagree here. Pushy is good to an extent but there is a very fine line you can cross when you go down the pushy route. The trick is knowing who you can and can't push into a sale. Also some of these guys get it in their heads that being pushy = being a pest. And they clearly cross the fine line from the minute they get told NO.
    I've had about 30 house calls from Airtricity and Eircom phone watch. Mostly they were people under 25 trying to mae a bit of cash. All of them had the big sales pitch. All of them would take No for an answer.

One thing I don't like is the eircom phone watch dudes. I don't like telling people if I have or don't have a house alarm.

You have been very lucky getting the genuine nice ones who haven't lied to you or been over persistent and rude. They are a dime a dozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bill2673 wrote: »
    "airtricity".....windmills dude.

Except on the days when there isn't enough wind to generate any electricity when they use coal/gas like the rest of them!

dudara wrote: »
    Posters - knock it off

dudara

no problem
    was just trying to inform the people of the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Surprised I hadn't seen this thread before now. I has a sales agent call to the door recently. He rang the doorbell once. I was upstairs. Before I got to the bottom of the stairs, he had his finger on the bell again and gave it another good long ring. I answered the door and told him he'll never make a sale if he approaches customers like that. I closed the door.

I felt a bit bad for being rude. However, there is no need at all for that continuous ringing - it is plain bad manners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Except on the days when there isn't enough wind to generate any electricity when they use coal/gas like the rest of them!

So maybe you'd prefer if they just supplied you with power on the windy days? wtf?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement