Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Airtricity pushy door to door salesmen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Yes it is a crap job but there is no excuse for the majority of them being a$$holes and lying about the savings and product.

I have to disagree here. Pushy is good to an extent but there is a very fine line you can cross when you go down the pushy route. The trick is knowing who you can and can't push into a sale. Also some of these guys get it in their heads that being pushy = being a pest. And they clearly cross the fine line from the minute they get told NO.

You have been very lucky getting the genuine nice ones who haven't lied to you or been over persistent and rude. They are a dime a dozen.

Could you spell out all the lies that you've been told please.....its quite a strong accusation.

Maybe its a frame of mind thing - I have a lot of sympathy for these guys cause I know its a tough shift......I explain why I'm not interested, and then theyb go on their way. Have never had any problems, and with that amount of callers I wouldn't put it down to luck.

"the majority of them lying"......really?

Surprised I hadn't seen this thread before now. I has a sales agent call to the door recently. He rang the doorbell once. I was upstairs. Before I got to the bottom of the stairs, he had his finger on the bell again and gave it another good long ring. I answered the door and told him he'll never make a sale if he approaches customers like that. I closed the door.

I felt a bit bad for being rude. However, there is no need at all for that continuous ringing - it is plain bad manners.

you've closed the door in someones face and then you give about their bad manners? for ringing the doorbell for too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Bill2673 wrote: »
    you've closed the door in someones face and then you give about their bad manners? for ringing the doorbell for too long?

It's my home. I can do whatever I damn well want with my door. They are asking for some of my time in an attempt to sell me something. I won't tolerate somebody who doesn't have the common sense not to keep ringing the bell, and then expect to sell me something.

It's my home. I can do whatever I damn well want with my door. They are asking for some of my time in an attempt to sell me something. I won't tolerate somebody who doesn't have the common sense not to keep ringing the bell, and then expect to sell me something.

You can indeed do whatever you want with your door. Never said you couldn't. In my opinion, by the way you've described it you were rude. You may not share that opinion. Or you may not care. Either way, you do what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

So many of these threads in Consumer Issues end up in heated debates about the moral rights and wrongs of people's behaviour. It's all getting a bit Ground Hog day.

• Advertisement

You can indeed do whatever you want with your door. Never said you couldn't. In my opinion, by the way you've described it you were rude. You may not share that opinion. Or you may not care. Either way, you do what you want to do.

Did you actually read what I posted?
    I felt a bit bad for being rude. However, there is no need at all for that continuous ringing - it is plain bad manners.

It's not the correct way to approach a customer. That's all.

The way you've pitched it is that he deserved what he got. So i can't tally that with being sorry for doing it.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    So many of these threads in Consumer Issues end up in heated debates about the moral rights and wrongs of people's behaviour. It's all getting a bit Ground Hog day.

Its the first time I've looked at any Consumer Issues thread, but i can imagine how it would be like that.

Its the first time I've looked at any Consumer Issues thread, but i can imagine how it would be like that.

It's brutal Bill... puts me off posting up any of my own stories in the Consumer Issues because it seems that half the time you'll end up getting a bollocking about your own behaviour which is 99% of the time is spurred on by a bigger issue e.g. a pushy salesman, an ignorant shop manager, a rude sales assistant etc.

It's consumer issues. I stated a problem I had as a consumer. I'm not going to explain myself to you!

Over and out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Could you spell out all the lies that you've been told please.....its quite a strong accusation.

Maybe its a frame of mind thing - I have a lot of sympathy for these guys cause I know its a tough shift......I explain why I'm not interested, and then theyb go on their way. Have never had any problems, and with that amount of callers I wouldn't put it down to luck.

Firstly get off your high horse defending these guys.

Have you read this thread? Or have you just picked out posts to attack?

It is a well known fact that some not all of these door to door sellers will twist the truth or lie about the savings made. Even if it is something as small as a couple of percent they are not telling you the truth which in turn is a lie.

Besides why are you hell bent on wanting to know from me what lies they tell? Are you one of the salesmen in question here?

So wait closing your own front door on someone is rude even after you have said no to them? How else do you suggest one closes their door in future?

It seems here you are just trolling and looking for an argument to be honest.

Firstly get off your high horse defending these guys.

Have you read this thread? Or have you just picked out posts to attack?

It is a well known fact that some not all of these door to door sellers will twist the truth or lie about the savings made. Even if it is something as small as a couple of percent they are not telling you the truth which in turn is a lie.

Besides why are you hell bent on wanting to know from me what lies they tell? Are you one of the salesmen in question here?

a high horse? maybe you're right.

If I called someone a liar, I'd consider that a pretty strong statement and i'd make sure i could back it up. I'm not hell bent on anything, really, much like yourself no doubt I've much better things I could be doing than posting here. if you can't point out what the lies are, so what, who cares, i don't, its a bloody chat forum with 6 people reading it, none of whom know each other.

No I'm not a sales person in disguise.

I worked in a cafe once for 3 months and was a bit taken aback at the way people felt entitled to launch abuse at staff. i see it in all walks off life. The people in the crappest, lowest paid jobs get the most abuse.

Oh and to add I have had up to 20 of them knock and I would say easily the majority were rude or lied about the product.

And from experience I was in sales for the best of 10 years so by own experience I can spot these guys a mile away and tell when they are lost in false facts. It is then when you question them or tell them no is when they become rude or a$$holes. They become rude they will be sent on their merry way and the door closed simple as. I don't have to justify my actions to you or them.

So wait closing your own front door on someone is rude even after you have said no to them? How else do you suggest one closes their door in future?

It seems here you are just trolling and looking for an argument to be honest.

report me so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So maybe you'd prefer if they just supplied you with power on the windy days? wtf?

I'm not one of these 'green energy' promoters and am not supplied by Airtiricty.. I'm just pointing out that it's all well and good saying you'll use wind to produce electricity but it's well known that wind can't be stored so on calm days they have to use alternative generation methods, like gas, coal, peat etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭oohlala

Airtricity were knocking around doors on my street yesterday. Very pushy, claiming they could give 35e off every bill if we signed up yesterday only. Also had some story about not every house is capable of getting airtricity and they needed our esb account number to check if we could get it and name oof person on esb bill for their records. Was extremely hard to get them to leave

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

oohlala wrote: »
    Airtricity were knocking around doors on my street yesterday. Very pushy, claiming they could give 35e off every bill if we signed up yesterday only. Also had some story about not every house is capable of getting airtricity and they needed our esb account number to check if we could get it and name oof person on esb bill for their records. Was extremely hard to get them to leave

Give the normal token response.

"Them: Would you be interesting in XYZ company we have a brill offer of ABC."
    "You: Oh I'm sorry I'm already with XYZ company already"

Works for me everytime,

Give the normal token response.

"Them: Would you be interesting in XYZ company we have a brill offer of ABC."
    "You: Oh I'm sorry I'm already with XYZ company already"

Works for me everytime,

Or you could do what I do and dress up as an Amish and say "Sorry friend, our faith doesn't allow it"

Works for me everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

had of them call in the past week,just gave the same answer.sorry i have a token meter and you dont accept them ,ok.thank you for calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Tell them that since Airtricitys owners have bought land in Sellafield to build a nuclear power station thus endangering all of Ireland and you are only interesting in "Green electricity" that you cant in your heart of hearts support them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/nuclear-firms-pay-16370m-for-sellafield-site-1811063.html

Or tell them you or your dad was in Carnsore in the 80s stopping a nuclear power station being built here.
    Another good trick is to only answer in Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

oohlala wrote: »

All I do is say no thanks and close the door on their face, theres no other way to deal with people like that.
    I had 2 women selling insurance of some kind last year and were very pushy to my mother ,saying "just let us in and wel explain what we are here for " said that repeatedly and they were being patrionizing , luckliy my mum would not let anyone into the house like that, Thats when I went up and slammed the door on them, They beeped the horn when they were leaving! :D

Word to the wise , Dont let anybody into your house or look at your private information like ESB bills ,say no thank you and close the door and be finished with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Occasionally it's not that easy to get rid of these people. I don't really have a problem with anyone knocking to the door, but a firm no doesn't always cut it. Especially as a lot of door to door salespeople these days are largely working on commission, I find the levels of aggression are getting worse.

We had someone selling Eircom Phone watch there the other week. This guy practically invited himself into the house. When I blocked him from entering and asked him to leave, he kept waffling on so I closed the door on him. However, I was so annoyed I decided to go after him, tell him that I didn't care for his invasive behaviour at the door and get his details. When I rang Eircom to complain they genuinely seemed horrified at his behaviour informed me that these workers were contracters. They got back to me a few days later to inform me that the individual had been warned over his aggressive sales technique and that he had been put down for re-training. I honestly think people need to pick up the phone and complain. No one should be made feel uncomfortable at their own home.

Someone said to earlier that there is no need to get nasty, but 's getting harder to keep calm, I find my own level of politeness is declining, as I was saying a firm no doesn't always do the trick. On Friday we had someone from Trocaire call to the house, we were very busy and expecting guests so when I answered the door I politely told the young man, I was pressed for time and couldn't talk. His response was "You can definitely spare a minute" - unbeliveable neck on some of these. I told him that when he knocks at my door , I decide If I have a minute to spare and told him to F^ck off. It didn't make me feel great but what can you do when people are so pushy at your own door.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Adrift wrote: »
    Occasionally it's not that easy to get rid of these people. I don't really have a problem with anyone knocking to the door, but a firm no doesn't always cut it. Especially as a lot of door to door salespeople these days are largely working on commission, I find the levels of aggression are getting worse.

We had someone selling Eircom Phone watch there the other week. This guy practically invited himself into the house. When I blocked him from entering and asked him to leave, he kept waffling on so I closed the door on him. However, I was so annoyed I decided to go after him, tell him that I didn't care for his invasive behaviour at the door and get his details. When I rang Eircom to complain they genuinely seemed horrified at his behaviour informed me that these workers were contracters. They got back to me a few days later to inform me that the individual had been warned over his aggressive sales technique and that he had been put down for re-training. I honestly think people need to pick up the phone and complain. No one should be made feel uncomfortable at their own home.

Someone said to earlier that there is no need to get nasty, but 's getting harder to keep calm, I find my own level of politeness is declining, as I was saying a firm no doesn't always do the trick. On Friday we had someone from Trocaire call to the house, we were very busy and expecting guests so when I answered the door I politely told the young man, I was pressed for time and couldn't talk. His response was "You can definitely spare a minute" - unbeliveable neck on some of these. I told him that when he knocks at my door , I decide If I have a minute to spare and told him to F^ck off. It didn't make me feel great but what can you do when people are so pushy at your own door.

Fair dues. When I did the Airtricity thing last year I was conscious of a few people being a bit pushy - nothing over the top like the above, but more a lack of general common decency and talking down like the customer was a lesser species. Main reason why I left, couldn't lower myself to the tripe tbh (and it paid about as well as an Iranian alcohol superstore).
    discostu1 wrote: »
    Tell them that since Airtricitys owners have bought land in Sellafield to build a nuclear power station thus endangering all of Ireland and you are only interesting in "Green electricity" that you cant in your heart of hearts support them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/nuclear-firms-pay-16370m-for-sellafield-site-1811063.html

Or tell them you or your dad was in Carnsore in the 80s stopping a nuclear power station being built here.

While this is totally off topic - I'd argue Nuclear energy is very environmentally friendly all things considered. The process itself only emits steam, and the fuel waste is extremely small, albeit extremely radioactive. Once disposed of well out of harm's way - and the plants operated under the same principle (i.e. not dumping thousands of tonnes into the Irish sea like Sellafield) then I can't see why it isn't one of the greenest methods.
    discostu1 wrote: »

To which, if you'd got me, I'd have continued a conversation myself and then you might not be able to keep up ;) You can get caught out badly doing that lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sdonn wrote: »
    Fair dues. When I did the Airtricity thing last year I was conscious of a few people being a bit pushy - nothing over the top like the above, but more a lack of general common decency and talking down like the customer was a lesser species. Main reason why I left, couldn't lower myself to the tripe tbh (and it paid about as well as an Iranian alcohol superstore).

While this is totally off topic - I'd argue Nuclear energy is very environmentally friendly all things considered. The process itself only emits steam, and the fuel waste is extremely small, albeit extremely radioactive. Once disposed of well out of harm's way - and the plants operated under the same principle (i.e. not dumping thousands of tonnes into the Irish sea like Sellafield) then I can't see why it isn't one of the greenest methods.

To which, if you'd got me, I'd have continued a conversation myself and then you might not be able to keep up ;) You can get caught out badly doing that lol.
    nevermind your flawed theories on nuclear waste being environmentally friendly, these sales people are trained to sell sell sell and told to use any and all means at their disposal if that means making you out to be a fool for not signing up they will do it, or make you believe you will be robbed or worse and you are not a good parent if you dont chose their product.

they are the lowest of the low in terms of retail!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

foggy_lad wrote: »
    nevermind your flawed theories on nuclear waste being environmentally friendly, these sales people are trained to sell sell sell and told to use any and all means at their disposal if that means making you out to be a fool for not signing up they will do it, or make you believe you will be robbed or worse and you are not a good parent if you dont chose their product.

they are the lowest of the low in terms of retail!

Did I not make it fairly clear in that post that I did the job, and hated seeing people act the maggot?

No need to tar us all with the same brush; don't be such a bigot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 preacher31

Airtricity keep on calling to my door. I'm living in the ballybrack area and have had about 7 callers to my door in the past few months. I have had about three full scale barneys with these people who keep saying that although they work for Airtricity they have no way of marking that a house is not interested in their product. Surely though if they keep a record of a house that has changed to Airctricity then it would be the same principal to just mark off a house that is not interested and therefore no need to keep calling into it. The couple in the estate today worked for D7 marketing who I've seen other posts here about (and not complimentary) the girl had called to me before and we had a bit of an arguement that time so today she admitted to me ( when I challenged her) that she sent the other guy she was with to call into me! Unbelievable, so we had a good old to and fro and fair play to her she gave as good as she got but couldnt answer my underline question of how do I get you people to stop calling to my door? Her answer was that I should put up a sign, she wasnt joking, I couldnt believe it when she said that. So it would appear I will be in need of a No Airtricity sign as the only way to stop them from calling to my door. I've no problem telling them to get lost but am getting seriously irritated with them constantly calling in. Anybody else had trouble with them calling in constantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

preacher31 wrote: »
    Anybody else had trouble with them calling in constantly?
    Yes, I'm fed up with them too, even sent Airtricity an email about it, no reply :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

Im living in waterford and at least once every 2 weeks get a call from these airtricity people.. its usually 2 people together and start off with the same line every time "could we have a chat with you for a min its nothing too serious" To that i reply is this Airtricity and say im not interested.. then comes the "but we can save you 13 percent" and after that i cant hear them any more because the RED MIST has descended and my fist is in their mouth... Well not really but in my head it is!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

i told them I worked for ESB and got a much bigger staff discount than what they're offering (I don't even know if ESB staff get a discount!). Either way the guy made a little note on his notebook and they've never called again and they're around my area all the time. So that tactic seems to work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement