Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Airtricity pushy door to door salesmen

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I've swtiched to airtricity and they STILL keep calling to my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just say "No"

Works for me. I disconnected my doorbell about ten years ago. Airtricity are one of the few who persist to knocking stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mrsmeowmeow

God some people are such eejits, Airticity reps CANNOT SIGN PEOPLE UP WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT. Every application needs 3 signatures, an array of personal numbers, not to mention bank details. The only way a rep could MAKE you switch is to hold a gun to your head. So unless you been a victim of such a crime cop on a bit and let people just do their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Signatures can be faked. MPRNs can be stolen from ESB bills.

And bank details?? A form cant be processed without bank details. And if the rep was desperate enough to fake signatures, rob mprns and gprns n bank details for the sake of a measly bit of commission, they would be crazy. All reps are garda vetted before they are hired and as apast rep i know how the whole process works. I averaged signing up around 200 willing customers a month and have never received a .complaint, neither have a single one of the guys i trained. So would people ever stop making stories up for the sake of an argument

• Advertisement

also for people giving out about how the reps dont tell you they're airtricty straight away is pure ridiculous. ive pitched so many people and had to wait til the end to tell them im airtricity, theyve seen the benefits at that stage and agree its a good idea and are happy to switch. if i told them at the get go they would shut the door, the reason being the fear mongering that goes on on sites such as these. We are without a doubt the stupidest nation of all time , we have to be CONVINCED to spend less money. Sales reps are NOT looking for money off of you, they just saving you a bit of money so they can make some themselves to feed their children or put themselves through college or whatever. So cop on a bit, if you dont want to save or theyre annoying you put a sign up on the door saying i am already switched or i do not want to switch, please dont knock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

That's the thing to be honest. Why the **** should we have to put a sign up if it's the same people knocking. If you read the thread you will see the complaints some people have with the same person knocking again and again.

Most of the complaints arn't about being signed up, they are about the reps continuing to try to get the sale after being told no. EG

*knock

Rep - Hi, I'm from airtricity, would you like to sign to day *blah blah

Me - No thank you.

Rep - But what about blah blah

Me - No thank you, Goodbye.

Rep - Are you sure? It's blah blah blah

Me - Go away please.

rep - But you can save blah blah.

Me - I said no, now go away.

Rep - But it's green and soo much cheaper,

Me - **** off now or I'll let the dog out.

*slams door in rep's face and writes on boards about it.

So that's 1 eg. I know they are not all the same but unfortunatly 1 doing it is bad enough and there seems to be a few bad eggs in the bunch.

As for not saying which company you're from that's just plain stupid. Some woman was training a young lad in on door to door sales. Now they weren't aritricity, some insurance company. But she straight away went into the whole routine of how I could make bigger savings if I went with her company.

I stopped her and asked her first of all which company she was from. She told me and I had never heard of it which I told her so. So she tells me it's an insurance company that specalises in home insurance. So I informed her that if she was going to be training new people she might want to show them that it'll best off starting early with something like are you the home owner, cos I am not in this case and my landlord takes care of it. (Structural Insurance) Point being if she said who she worked for she could have wasted less of her and mine own time.

Oh and btw the last rep that came around my way was a few months ago. He was acting a bit dodgy in his car writing down descriptions of houses. I went and asked who he was and he didn't tell me. About 10 mins later he was stopped by a guard and vetted at the roadside thanks to me ringing them. He also had a complaint to airtricity made about him. It seems it's in their guidelines for the reps to have id on them and display when asked otherwise they could be anybody claiming to work for the company and asking people for bank details. :D

Airtricity will accept applications without bank details.

omg no they dont. I know because I WORKED FOR THEM!!!! I was a regional manager for them i am currently running a different campaign. My reps had to ring people lyk eejits for their bank details because an application off a sales advisor can NOT and i repeat NOT be put through without those details, how else would theyset up the direct debit?? THE ONLY METHOD OF PAYMENT. By law nobody a can access such details due to the data protection act of 1988. Now stop fear mongering because you are wrong!!

Airtricity do allow people to set up accounts without a direct debit and they do accept cheque payments. You do however need to give them a €300 deposit for the privilege.

• Advertisement

Because its only in Ireland that people are SO STUPID that they have to be talked into saving some money. its exactly why the country is the way it is because people feel like the world is against them and they are special cases, wel the fact is if i was getting petrol and there was 2 garages side by side i would go to the cheaper cleaner fuel. now that makes sense doesnt it. but irish people are ridiculously brand loyal, theyd rather pay more 4 THE VERY SAME THING. its sad 2 see aswel that sales reps are stooping to such levels in order 2 make a bit of money, cos people are 2 backward in some places, typical " better the divel u know" kinda crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Kinda happy with the ESB, cant wait till they've 40% of the customers in their books as then they will be ALLOWED drop their price.

Whats nice too is not having to commit to a DD, leaves me free to pay them in installments when times are tough.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

one knocked on my door 2 weeks ago. i was in the middle of cooking - i open the door, wearing an apron covered in flour with doughy hands - this was the conversation :-

him: oh you dont look happy to see me

me: no, i am not, where are you from

him: dont worry i am not trying to selling you anything

me: look i havent got time for this crap

SHUT DOOR - back to making bread

why bother lying to me?

if i want to change to airtricity i will, i dont need someone on my doorstep lying to me

Only if u sign up through direct debit first. the fact is people without a current bank account CANNOT sign up for airtricity. and artricity will only resort to check payments or post office payments if the customer cannot pay a bill and the direct debit bounces. Reps are NOT licensed to carry money not just to protect the customer but to protect themselves aswel. the customer is asked to sign to say that the rep did not take money off of them. the fact is the only way to sign on the door is through direct debit and THAT IS THE ONLY WAY. maybe its different online or over the phone i dont know and frankly i dont care because this discussion is concerning door 2 door sales reps.

A wee bit arrogant aren't we? A typical sales person.

They have always accepted people who paid deposits online. I know several people who paid the deposit and they send them a cheque instead.

Airtricity has a tracker rate btw, if esb were to for example drop their prices by 10% we would go down by 23%, as for paying in the post office your 2 right and i tink airtricity are bringing it in soon, for the time being theyre trying to avoid it cos they dont want scenarios such as esb have, taking someone to court for unpaid bills.

Haha ah haddockman, dont like being proved wrong do we?? Biggest sign of defeat in a discussion is when you have to make it personal.

is that an airtricity promise? Anyways I'm happy with the esb. Irish company and all that. If a storm God forbid happens and the lines are down, who will come to fix them?

and btw this discussion is about DOOR 2 DOOR sign ups, not online sign ups.

Haha ah haddockman, dont like being proved wrong do we?? Biggest sign of defeat in a discussion is when you have to make it personal.
    I am right (read the airtricity website) and that is my last post on the matter.

Also is your employer aware of your posts on this site? I bet they would not be impressed.
    and btw this discussion is about DOOR 2 DOOR sign ups, not online sign ups.
    To quote you. I don't care. I am stating the fact that you can have airtricty without a direct debit. Accept that is the case.

• Advertisement

padma wrote: »
    is that an airtricity promise? Anyways I'm happy with the esb. Irish company and all that. If a storm God forbid happens and the lines are down, who will come to fix them?
    Well you do stay with the esb networks cos they own the main powergrid, the networks and the supply are actually 2 different companies, a lot of people dont know that. Airtricity is actually also an Irish company, they started 13years ago with bord na mona with eddie oconner being the founder. the original name was actually eiretricity, meaning irish electricity. then in 2002 51% of the company was sold to scottish and southern for 1.2billion and they changed the name to airtricity. the fact is though all of their wind farms are located in ireland and they employ about 3000 people in the country if u include the reps. but anyway its not my job anymore to convince, its upta urself.

Haddockman wrote: »
    I am right (read the airtricity website) and that is my last post on the matter.

Also is your employer aware of your posts on this site? I bet they would not be impressed.

To quote you. I don't care. I am stating the fact that you can have airtricty without a direct debit. Accept that is the case.
    did you read the title of this thread, silly boy. Btw i am my employer haha. nitey nite xx

similar to eircom so, who comes out to fix the lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

mrsmeowmeow, can you please PM me YOUR address, seeing as you think it's okay for people to come banging on your door when you're trying to eat your dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Airtricity has a tracker rate btw, if esb were to for example drop their prices by 10% we would go down by 23%, as for paying in the post office your 2 right and i tink airtricity are bringing it in soon, for the time being theyre trying to avoid it cos they dont want scenarios such as esb have, taking someone to court for unpaid bills.

shill?

padma wrote: »
    similar to eircom so, who comes out to fix the lines?
    ESB Networks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I'll quote that seeing as in most posts you've ahd on this thread is about how people are idiots and stupid and so forth :)

By the way just for your info, I am with airtricity. I saw it as a good deal so I signed up online. I still get knocks on my door from them tho. As I said the last one didn't even knock at my door. He drove around the housing estate writing down descriptions of the houses and after a few meins driving off to more houses. This at a time when there was some break-ins in the area. He wouldn't tell me who he was when asked so I called the guards. After the guard verified who he was and who he worked for I reported him to his employer. You are only fighting a losing battle here I'm afraid.

The true topic of the thread is not about the great savings or w/e, it's about how annoying the airtricity reps are. They are pushy and don't take no for an answer. Oh and why do they always seem to knock when you're doing something like cooking or eating, never while you're free and bored silly. If they knocked at that time I might entertain them or offer a cuppa tea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This thread may have ran its course. Locked.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement