Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Famous DJ's who Don't Produce?

• 06-05-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hello all...

To your knowledge, are there any famous / superstar DJ's out there who don't producer their own music nowadays?

More to the point, is it still possible to get to the top as DJ without producing your own tunes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Alot of Dj's will actually get other people to produce tunes and then put their name to it. So plenty of Dj's that dont produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Eddie bleedin' halliwell

Not that i like his mixes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Good point Mike, however I reckon that only applies to already famous DJ's, right? I mean, I could see a talented, undiscovered producer selling out to a big name DJ however, I doubt (correct me if I'm wrong) that your average bedroom DJ would get a record produced by someone else?

What I'm really getting at here is that I dont believe that DJ's can make it big anymore by just simply Djing, they must also produce music to make it big?

This begs the question, if you seriously want to become successful as a DJ, should you invest your first few years in production to get yourself out there?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Totally agree. 10 years ago there were loads of "just DJ's" but now they are few and far between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

By the by, the reason I started thread was inspired by this competition for "DJs" lol:
    The hunt is on to find Ireland’s next great DJ or VJ as XBOX launch their ****** competition.

The competiton – offering an aspiring DJ or VJ the one in a lifetime chance to win a half hour slot at this summer's hottest festival – will see the winner will play alongside some of Ireland’s top acts including MTV’s Eclectic Method, Arveene, Mickey Dee, Spin’s Dave Davin and Mark Vity.

If making a spectacular debut at ****** isn’t enough, the lucky winner will also receive an Xbox Live Stage VIP Pack, including ****** VIP passes, an Xbox Elite, Rock Band kit and festival gear.

Entrants must submit their original music remix for the competition by Friday June 19.

Tracks should be between 3 and 4 minutes long for DJs and 60 to 90 seconds for VJs. All elements of the remix must be an original creation or available in the public domain – including audio tracks. Accepted video and audio formats include: avi, mov, mp4, wav and mp3. To enter, email your remix to vjs@xboxlivestage.com

http://www.hotpress.com/news/5415185.html

Since when does producing a 3 or 4 minute track automatically qualify you as a DJ worthy of playing a 30 minute mix at ****** (or anywhere as a matter of fact)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I think unless you are known by someone it would be practically impossible.

Getting the tune out to big name labels instigates your relationship and leads to bigger things.

Yes thank you professor obvious I hear you say but sadly I don't know anyone who is massive and doesn't have a tune or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

acman wrote: »
    Good point Mike, however I reckon that only applies to already famous DJ's, right? I mean, I could see a talented, undiscovered producer selling out to a big name DJ however, I doubt (correct me if I'm wrong) that your average bedroom DJ would get a record produced by someone else?

What I'm really getting at here is that I dont believe that DJ's can make it big anymore by just simply Djing, they must also produce music to make it big?

This begs the question, if you seriously want to become successful as a DJ, should you invest your first few years in production to get yourself out there?
    yeah you gotta produce these days if you want to do anything in djing.as for your question about the average bedroom dj can get someone to produce a tune for them.and alot of them do.i know of a few people who have.one of them(two actually) got the track released and did a follow up(using the same producers)from that they got offered a remix but couldnt do it as it was unpaid(as most of them are) and they couldnt afford to hire out the producers again.
    as for your question,most if not all people get into djing for the fun of it so your first few years should be spent having fun and mixing for enjoyment.maybe you get a few gigs or whatever but if you start djing in order to make a career out of it you wont succeed(imo)same for producing.if you dont actually love it you wont get very far with it.
    people underestimate how difficult it is to make a track,let alone a track that gets a release and further still a track good enough to get you on a decent label thatll get you noticed and get you gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thought you weren't allowed to mention **********???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

fabio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

fabio

haha I thought your name was tranny...

• Advertisement
Advertisement