Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Questions about the Uilleann Pipes

Options
  • 06-05-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Scien wrote: »

-First and foremost, whats the difficulty level and peoples experiences? Too late to start in mid-20's?

I would say it's no more difficult than mastering the fiddle, but that's just my opinion.
    I heard somewhere before that Seamus Ennis said it took him 7 years to learn, 7 to practice and 7 to play so i know its a daunting task.
    Nice quote, but don't let that deter you.
    -Does it help if you can already play a woodwind instrument like the tin whistle or the recorder? (Also play piano and guitar if that helps)

Yes, the fingering is different than the whistle, but it will help that you have played another instrument before.
    -Difference (in difficulty and sound) between a full set and a half set?
    A practice set has only a chanter on which you will play the melody
    A half set has drones which is a constant hum which can be turned on and off, requires more effort as you have to pump more air and keep that flow of air constant.
    A full set has regulators (regs) which are basically the same as the chanter in make up but are used as chords to accompany the melody played on the chanter.
    -Cost of each?
    Can't really help you there, other than to say that I am currently on a waiting list for a flat full set for around 8 years, and won't have my set for another year (fingers crossed), for around €12K, but that would be from a top pipe maker.
    -Other advice for attempting to start?
    Your location says you are in Dublin? Call up to the Na Piobairi Uilleann/ The pipers club on Henrietta Street , Dublin 1 if you are interested. They should be able to help you. I'd suggest going there some evening when they have classes, so you can have a go.

www.pipers.ie

Advertisement