Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault electric windows

• 06-05-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Her indoors has a 2004 Renault Megane Scenic 1.5 Diesel, approx 65K miles.
    About a month ago the electric window got stuck open on the rear passenger side, because it was raining she drove it to a local garage and they stripped it all out and jammed the window closed (charged her €50) and told her she needed a new regulator. We called the local renault dealer and he quoted us €375 to supply and replace it :eek:. As that window isn't used very often she decided to leave it for a while before getting it done.
    The other day the same thing happened the front passneger window, another €50 to have it stripped out and closed, and a quote for another €375 to replace that one as well.
    I queried the quality with the Renault service manager, and he told me that 5 years was a reasonable life for such a high cost item. He also told me that there had been quality issues with the windows on this (and other) model(s) and Renault had extended the warranty to include 05 cars so ours wasn't included.
    I know one other person with a Megane (05) and one of his windows is also gone.

I told the service manager that I thought this is a poor life expectancy for such a high cost (and rarely used) item but he just shrugged and said that there was nothing he could do about it.

I know what I'm going to do about it, I'm going to make sure I never buy another Renault again and I'm also going to make sure everybody knows how expensive it is to repair or replace everyday items such as these and that the manufacturer thinks 5 years is an acceptable life for such a high cost item.

I feel if there is an issue with the reliability of these components, Renault should stand over them for a lot longer than they do.

Think very carefully before you buy a Renault....

Anyone else had anything similar? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

The Mrs had a similar problem with her megan 2 years ago. It was a 05 - so was only 2 years old when the regulator went. She bought a proper car (toyota) in 08 and has 80,000km on it in 16 months - never had to put a part in it, tyres just need replacing now.

I just don't like renault's

Her indoors has a 2004 Renault Megane Scenic 1.5 Diesel, approx 65K miles.
    About a month ago the electric window got stuck open on the rear passenger side, because it was raining she drove it to a local garage and they stripped it all out and jammed the window closed (charged her €50) and told her she needed a new regulator. We called the local renault dealer and he quoted us €375 to supply and replace it :eek:. As that window isn't used very often she decided to leave it for a while before getting it done.
    The other day the same thing happened the front passneger window, another €50 to have it stripped out and closed, and a quote for another €375 to replace that one as well.
    I queried the quality with the Renault service manager, and he told me that 5 years was a reasonable life for such a high cost item. He also told me that there had been quality issues with the windows on this (and other) model(s) and Renault had extended the warranty to include 05 cars so ours wasn't included.
    I know one other person with a Megane (05) and one of his windows is also gone.

I told the service manager that I thought this is a poor life expectancy for such a high cost (and rarely used) item but he just shrugged and said that there was nothing he could do about it.

I know what I'm going to do about it, I'm going to make sure I never buy another Renault again and I'm also going to make sure everybody knows how expensive it is to repair or replace everyday items such as these and that the manufacturer thinks 5 years is an acceptable life for such a high cost item.

I feel if there is an issue with the reliability of these components, Renault should stand over them for a lot longer than they do.

Think very carefully before you buy a Renault....

Anyone else had anything similar? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It is a disgrace, we've had 2 fail on a 2006 car, both done under warranty. It is certainly a well known problem from day one on the Megane and it looks like nothing has been done to rectify it during its entire model life.

You can however buy the regulators elsewhere much cheaper (€85 ex UK) and get your indy to do it, you don't need to pay €375 a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

He denied it was a common problem (although he admitted they'd had to extend the warranty :confused:) and said they rarely give problems, he couldn't explain why I'd had two in the space of a few weeks and why the only other person I knew with a Renault had also had similar problems.
    I said I'd do some research to see how big an issue it was before I took it further thats why I started the thread so keep them coming.

I for one will never buy another Renault, the cost of spares and maintenance, if they think this is what passes for reliability is just too prohibitive in these recessionary times. Buyer beware :(

Meanwhile where can I source the regulators Stevie, I'll quite happily give my business to an independant mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It is well known, any opinion to the contrary is just nonsense. You can buy the regulators from -

http://www.aepdirect.com, I think GSF do them too.

Have you tried and alternative Renault dealer?

More info here..

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=63641

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I replaced the regulator in a Laguna last year.
    The breakers yard on the west pier in Dun Laoghaire supplied the part. (Southside Motors Spares or something like that)

These are the only new parts that he does as he sees continued demand for them.
    I put it in the door myself in about an hour - and if I can do this, anyone can.

Saved a fortune on what Renault quoted for supply and fix.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help guys, I'll look into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Fupping Renault

My mothers rear passenger window went 4 weeks ago. 2004 Megane

My gf had the window down and when she went to put it up it would not go up. I tried and pressed it up and it actually went down and then just gave up its ghost.

Local guy took the door apart and for €30 just jammed it in place.

I fupping hate Renaults. One thing after another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭black & white

I have a 06 Megane diesel and had bothe windows done after 13 months ( under warrenty) and had to have the passenger side done about a month ago( under warrenty ) They are a problem and this is well known to any Renault dealer. Anyone that tells you different is...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Electrics in French cars are a complete joke mate but Renaults are particularly bad. Next time you're driving behind a French car that is a few years old watch what happens when they indicate or touch the brakes. You'll often see the wrong light in the rear light cluster come on. But apart from that, I've heard that the window issue is also common. Don't get it fixed in a main dealer as they'll charge you an arm and a leg. There's no reason why your local back street mechanice couldn't sort that out for you at a fraction of the cost.

My gf had the window down and when she went to put it up it would not go up. I tried and pressed it up and it actually went down and then just gave up its ghost.

Local guy took the door apart and for €30 just jammed it in place.

Thats exactly how it happened in both our cases (except our guy charged us €50). The guy in the garage told me that whenever it happens he "normally just wedges them closed" which initially led me to believe that its something that happens quite frequently.
    I've had numerous cars over the years (including French) and I've never ever had a window regulator fail on me, now twice on the same car!
    Its not like its a heavy duty motor or anything, it just lifts the window and stops, the duty cycle is minimal.
    My question is, if they are that poor in quality with such a poor life expectancy, why do they cost over €300.....?

Buying a Renault...? Buyer Beware....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have never had a Renault (or any French car) and I do not intend to start.
    My mates megane has had alternator failure, throttle cable snap and other weird things happen.
    he still maintains it is a great car but I think otherwise.
    In this day and age when did you last hear of a throttle cable snapping?
    BTW Citroen cables fit with a little modification, must be all made in the same factory.
    Throttle cable is a serious failure as it could be very dangerous, happening at the wrong time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm pretty sure if you plead your case strongly enough some of the Renault fan boys on here will fix it for you for free to save the sacred Renault brand any further embarrisment, looks like they'll have their hands full with all the breakages in this forum in the last few hours alone.:)

Renault fans....?

Most people would be too embarrassed to admit to belonging to that club.

I admit that one or two of the newer models actually look quite nice, but my fear of what lurks beneath means that I would never ever dream of buying one. In this day and age where people take reliable motoring for granted I just don't need the hassle.

Sorry Bill (or whoever owns the franchise now).....you're fired....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Stick around Billy.

Like so many motor discussion forums, the best car is always the one owned by the author.

Based on my family's direct experience, research, and the experiences of many people on online fora such as this one, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that Renaults are a bucket of sh1t.

I wish you luck in solving your problem, no greater apologist for the marque than a Renault mechanic.

A quick update in case anyones interested.....:rolleyes:

I asked a neighbour whos an auto electrician if he had any experience with this problem, he smiled and said Renault electric windows paid for his kitchen extension :), he told me that a week or so previously he'd replaced all four window regulators on an 04 Megane :eek:. He also told me that he often buys the parts from a scrapyard in the North (can't remember the name) as quite often he can salvage a motor or a regulator etc. He offered to have a look and came round a cople of days later and removed both assemblies.He found the motor broken on the front window and the regulator broken on the rear window so he swapped the good motor to the forward window so that at least the front windows work again, he left the rear window locked up and said he'll look out for a salvagable regulator the next time a hapless Renault customer rolls into his workshop with a similar tale of woe. He charged us €50 (I forgot to ask him for the VAT receipt ;)) and went on his merry way. The whole thing took him less than two hours including fag breaks, coffee breaks and stopping to watch at least three horse races on C4.......

I would never ever touch a Renault car again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Markrobertmcg

Hi guys, I've read most of the threads and cant believe the problem is that popular with these cars. I need help please.:confused:

Same thing happened to my megavan recently. The window wound down n then stopped working alltogether. I took the inside panel off and wound the window back up myself by taking the motor cover off and winding the rotor by hand. I brought the car to Windsor motors, a Nissan dealer in Raheny last week to get it fixed and they quoted me 560 euro to supply and fit a new regulator.:eek: I obviously refused and paid 50 euro to get my car back.:cool: Renualt dealer in Airside quoted me the same price. :( I'm not a mechanic but an electrician so I thought I'd at least give it a go. I sourced a regulator from southside motor spares in Dun Laoghaire for 120. I wasn't sure at this stage weather it was just a problem with the regulator alone. On inspection the cables were off the spools on the regulator in my van but I suspect that the nissan dealer must have done this when looking at it because it worked fine when I wound the window up by hand previously. Surprise surprise, turns out the new regulator made no difference which brought me to the motor. I took it apart and noticed that the brush's were missing...how did that happen:eek: I am still considering putting a hit out on the mechanic and the sevice department rep at the Nissan dealer.:mad::rolleyes: I sourced a used motor from Joe Boland on the old airport road for 80euro (seen as you cannot get the brush's alone). I tried to price a motor from Airside Renualt but they informed me that you cannot buy the motor separate. They only sell the regulator and the motor together which costs 310euro. :mad:
    Tried the motor and it would only wind down in one direction whichever way you push the switch and would only do so for a second and then stop. I then though it was the black box( it has all the characteristics of a controller ,example, bread board with electronic components) that connects onto the motor. Had to go back to Joe Boland and get that for 30 euro. Fitted it today and now the motor is turning in both directions :) but still for only a second each way :( Note that the motor is not fixed to the new regulator.

Can anyone please give me a solution to this problem. I'm physically and mentally deteriorating, I have begun to loose weight, also my hair is falling out and turning grey at the same time :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Inch the window up until it's closed fully then turn off the ignition (ie. all electric off). Then press the window switch as if closing the window, hold it in this position then turn on ignition. Keep holding the switch for about 10 secs then release. Your window should operate smoothly as normal after this.

The problem is that the anti-pinch function needs to know the fully closed position of the window. Anytime you disconnect the power or replace a regulator the ECU doesn't know where the fully closed position is and so it plays safe by moving in increments. If it didn't do this the anti-pinch wouldn't be effective. Doing the above steps programmes the actual closed position into the ECU. There was probably no need to change that black box afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Markrobertmcg

Ok guys thanks for your input. Fmcattack you were spot on with the installation document you sent me thanks a mill :D

So the problem was that the switch needed to be reset which I never would have figured out how to do myself. All in all it cost me 280euro, 120 for the new reg, 80 for the new motor, 30 for the black box whatever it's called( maybe relay box) and 50 for the Nissan dealer to tell me I needed a whole new reg and motor.

The job should have only cost me 30 euro to replace the relay box. I didn't need a new reg until the origional one was damaged at the dealer and I didn't need a new motor for the same reason (unless I damaged the brush's when I re-inserted the rotor and windings back into the motor housing after I initially wound up the window by hand, which is quite possible).

I think Renault are laughing all the way to the bank with this design flaw and as most people who have posted about this all say the regulators only last about 5 years in most models. As stated before Renault don't sell the parts I mentioned separately, you got to pay 310 for the whole package. If I had of bought the parts off Renualt I would have saved 30 euro, but If I had of put it in for the dealer to fix it would have cost me 560. I don't know which way to look at this, I saved 280 euro from not giving it to Renault to fix but lost 200 euro buying parts that I did not need.

Moral of the story is don't buy a Renault and that you can never trust a reputable dealer to carry out repair works unless you fully now what the problem is yourself. I find it hard to believe that the Renault dealer could not have pinpointed the problem to the relay box and just replaced it, instead they would have charged me for the whole system replacement even though it was obviously not necessary.

If anybody finds that they have the same problem in their amazing Renaults I would suggest doing the job yourself. It was not all hard to do the labour but you can run into some problems. The new motor that I connected up today was turning in the wrong direction, maybe it was a passenger side motor. I had to remove the motor shaft housing and turn it around to change the polarity in the magnets that are on either side of the housing. Also be careful not to damage the brushes if you do have to play around with the motor. If you have to change the motor make sure that the spool that winds the cables off the reg together does not pop off and unwind as it is nearly impossible to fix on the model of van I have. The replacement reg was a lot safer and easier to fit because there was not as much of a danger in the spool coming free from the motor. You will need to remove the door panels and the glass also. FMCattack left a great pdf file of instructions how to repair the cable on a Laguna which helped me finish the job. All models of renault are usually the same principle.

One last thing, I have an 05 Renault Megavan for sale at 4000euro, any takers???:D

Thanks for your comments too slim, I narrowed the problem down to the relay box seen as the window started to open and close by itself .
    Didn't try your method of re programming the switch so I dunno if it works or not but the information I received from my other post worked a treat.
    Thanks also for your help, much appreciated mate:D

Apparently Renaults from 2005 on are very very good, the current range are apparently bulletproof.

If you own a car that has a reputation for dodgy electric window mechanisms the best thing to do is a spray of rubber and nylon lubricant every couple of months on the window rubbers, the windows will then fly up and down with little friction so the regulators and motors will be under as little stress as possible.

Advertisement