Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money & Banking in Oz?

Options
  • 06-05-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭

People, am hoping you can help me out here. Am just wondering what the deal is with bringing money over to Australia. Should I open up an account before I go, or immediately when I ge there? If I leave it till I get there, how exactly do I transfer money into the Oz account too? Know I will need one for if I work there, so no hassle in opening one.

Anything in general I need to know about this area of travelling over as a whole? Cheers for any info!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Mushy wrote: »
    People, am hoping you can help me out here. Am just wondering what the deal is with bringing money over to Australia. Should I open up an account before I go, or immediately when I ge there? If I leave it till I get there, how exactly do I transfer money into the Oz account too? Know I will need one for if I work there, so no hassle in opening one.

Anything in general I need to know about this area of travelling over as a whole? Cheers for any info!

Hi Mushy,

I opened a bank account with Oz Connect. It costs €25 but it takes all the hassle out of it if you were to do it yourself.

After filling in the form, mostly basic details.. they'll email you the sort code and account number within a few days, along with the branch address and how to transfer money.

After you arrive in Oz just go to the branch to get your bank card, you'll only need your passport to prove its you.. You have 90 days to do this after you open the account.

Check em out!... www.ozconnect.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Hi Mushy,

I opened a bank account with Oz Connect. It costs €25 but it takes all the hassle out of it if you were to do it yourself.

After filling in the form, mostly basic details.. they'll email you the sort code and account number within a few days, along with the branch address and how to transfer money.

After you arrive in Oz just go to the branch to get your bank card, you'll only need your passport to prove its you.. You have 90 days to do this after you open the account.

Check em out!... www.ozconnect.ie

Thanks very much for that. And then /i'll be able to transfer from my own account in Ireland to the Oz one online I take it/hope? Would make everything so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Thanks very much for that. And then /i'll be able to transfer from my own account in Ireland to the Oz one online I take it/hope? Would make everything so much easier.
    Dont think you can do international transfers online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

You dont need to pay anything like 25 euro to set up an oz bank account,i did it for free with n.a.b,check out their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

unreggd wrote: »

That's not true, You can transfer up to €5000 online with AIB. I transferred €4000 to my OHs NZ bank account when we moved here. When my parents visited at Christmas they also transferred a lot of money to a spare bank account we have so they had an eftpos card to use while they were here.

I also regularly transfer money from my BNZ account here to my AIB account at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

unreggd wrote: »

You can, I do them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

watna wrote: »
    That's not true, You can transfer up to €5000 online with AIB. I transferred €4000 to my OHs NZ bank account when we moved here. When my parents visited at Christmas they also transferred a lot of money to a spare bank account we have so they had an eftpos card to use while they were here.

I also regularly transfer money from my BNZ account here to my AIB account at home.

Thanks for this. Sorts out everything now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thanks for this. Sorts out everything now.

No probs - they do charge €25 though and your Aus bank may take a charge too. It's worth it for how easy it is though.

Make sure when you leave Ireland you've got your IBAN code from your Irish bank. You'll need it if you transfer money home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

If I remember correctly i think the Oz bank charges $10 to receive the money, But I reckon different banks have different charges... I opened an account with Westpac. I haven't got around to transferring money yet but I do it online if its as easy as ye say! ;)

Advertisement