Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK BB and pricing

Options
  • 06-05-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Casting an envious eye across the water to find some examples

Virgin Media BB

10M BB + phone

£5 for 3 months £14 pm thereafter

20m BB + phone

£10 for 3 months £20 thereafter

50m BB + phone

£35 per month...

02 Broadband

8m BB

£12.23 PM

20m BB

£14.68 pm (all include wireless router of course)

and here in little ol Ireland :rolleyes:... well there's me for example stuck in a 12month Ripwave contract of half a meg BB at least for nearly 30 quid a month!!

why are we so far behind and why are we such mugs for paying for any old sh....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MFeehan

More people over there, hence more competition and lower prices. Look at Vodafone UK and o2 UK prices, they get the best deals ever and we get jacked.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MFeehan wrote: »
    More people over there, hence more competition and lower prices. Look at Vodafone UK and o2 UK prices, they get the best deals ever and we get jacked.

I think that is mostly bull, it has more to do with Irish people not complaining enough and not shopping around enough.

Just look at Tesco, all along they were saying they couldn't reduce their prices to match the UK because of higher cost of doing business here, etc. and now almost overnight they are now changing their stores and dropping prices to match the UK, all because people are going north to shop.

Don't buy into the bull being peddled by these companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

bk wrote: »
    Just look at Tesco, all along they were saying they couldn't reduce their prices to match the UK because of higher cost of doing business here, etc. and now almost overnight they are now changing their stores and dropping prices to match the UK, all because people are going north to shop.

Only in border towns, stop people going North (or further North in this case) it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic with many being ripped off left right and center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MFeehan

bk wrote: »
    I think that is mostly bull, it has more to do with Irish people not complaining enough and not shopping around enough.

Don't buy into the bull being peddled by these companies.

Yeah but Tesco is not a phone or broadband company which is what this thread is about. I understand your point about shopping around but its not like we can go ANYWHERE else to get broadband or phone services cheaper. It would take something on a grand scale to get any of these companies to drop their prices, and lets face it, that probably won't happen. Complaining doesn't do sh*t, its just another word for feedback or vice versa. It takes a lot of the same complaint for anything to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Firstly these price comparisions are suspect as the Virgin one is for fibre optic cabling which is not any more common in the UK than in the ROI. Broadband per se is not all that much cheaper in the UK, just compare prices in the UTVInternet site. However phone rental is much cheaper so the overall package price is cheaper, this is not only a function of more competition it is a also a function of a somewhat lower cost of provision in a more urbanised society and above all better regulation of the monopoly provider.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ardmacha wrote: »
    Firstly these price comparisions are suspect as the Virgin one is for fibre optic cabling which is not any more common in the UK than in the ROI.

Actually Virgin is only fibre to the local node, it is then standard TV coax cable from the local node to your house. It is exactly the same setup as UPC have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm gonna run a cable to the north and get my internets from there, it's much cheaper! :)

or drive up one a month and load up the car with internets and bring it back with me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm gonna run a cable to the north and get my internets from there, it's much cheaper! :)

or drive up one a month and load up the car with internets and bring it back with me. :p

Will you bring me back a trunk load of cheap lines rentals too and I will resell them from here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Line rental here is high, as is the cost of LLU. These keep the price of DSL on the high side. DSL costs being high, mean that the competition, wireless and cable operators, don't need to reduce their prices by much lower than DSL to attract customers.

If Comreg had set the LLU costs to an appropriate amount, this would encourage all the current re-sellers into the LLU market (Sky previously said they weren't bothered with Ireland due to the high LLU cost) which would be actual competition to eircom. A drop in DSL prices would in turn cause a drop in cable and wireless.

Another problem is that for a lot of people, there is no choice at all. No choice means no competition means high prices. The fact that we're a much smaller market place than the UK also doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

100% correct.

Though to nick a phrase from the current economic environment - I see green shoots.

True platform competition as opposed to partial price competition is the way to go. Always has been.

Regardless of retail minus or cost plus pricing - competition will drive prices for consumers and investment decisions. It's all about the ladder of investment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The fact that we're a much smaller market place than the UK also doesn't help.

This small market place argument is often stated. Why do I have the feeling that broadband (and telecoms generally) is also a lot cheaper in places like Finland or Singapore that have a similar sized market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ardmacha wrote: »
    This small market place argument is often stated. Why do I have the feeling that broadband (and telecoms generally) is also a lot cheaper in places like Finland or Singapore that have a similar sized market.

It's not the ultimate influence, no, even though it's often cited as a major factor by Comreg, the government, etc. I only mention it because it is a factor (however small) in the high prices.

Advertisement