Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20" samsung tv

• 06-05-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭

..in tesco, while stocks last for €199, apparently reduced from €299. seems like a good enough spec to me, just got one today. been looking for a tv for the bedroom for a while now and love the picture off the samsung.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Yes, real bargain that. Actually I am being sarcastic, sorry. What was so special that warranted such a high price tag?

^Sometimes I can be a git.

Model number please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

mel123 wrote: »
    ..in tesco, while stocks last for €199, apparently reduced from €299. seems like a good enough spec to me, just got one today. been looking for a tv for the bedroom for a while now and love the picture off the samsung.

Got (probably) the same tv in Xtravision for €189 last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Currys new prices also heve the 23inch at €260

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Think I got the same one just over a year ago too for about 200. Died on me last week 14 months after I bought model number LS20TDDSUV. Its an ok TV defo not work 300.

If its the one I'm thiking of it is fine as a monitor, poor as a TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

ch750536 wrote: »
    If its the one I'm thiking of it is fine as a monitor, poor as a TV.

My one functions as a tv and monitor, works brilliantly as a tv though! Never had a problem

Yeah the quality as a tv is not great it looks out of focus. It ok as a monitor and for xbox and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 theganster

Great deal, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Model number is T200HD.

Samsung IE website lists it as only a monitor.

UK site list it as having a Digital / Analogue Tuner.

Some other regional Samsung sites says it's MPEG4 DTT..... So it *should* work with future Irish Digital Terestrial (RTE / TV3 / Boxer (or whoever takes the commercial DTT multiplexes up)), unlike the majority of "Freeview" TV's sold here.

My dad bought one last week, so I'm gonna have a play with it later and see.

Powercity in Blanchardstown are selling it for €199.95 and the sticker on it said "Irish DTT Compatible" so it may be a bargain.

Not wall mountable tho.

Worth noting that Currys have a 23" version for €264 in Blanch. Dunno if it's MPEG 4, and the monkeys in the shop just told me it's "Freeview Compatible"! Do they not take an interest in what they're selling??! Guess not! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭davehey79

anyone actually confirm which version the Tesco deal is as the US and UK sites give a different specced machine than the Irish site completely.

• Advertisement

davehey79 wrote: »
    anyone actually confirm which version the Tesco deal is as the US and UK sites give a different specced machine than the Irish site completely.

I'll confirm later on or tomorrow, but the one I saw said "Monitor with TV tuner" so there is a tuner. I'll check if it does MPEG4 for the Irish DTT.

cool cheers for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Currys new prices also heve the 23inch at €260

Any model number for this 23" Samsung TV in Currys or is it a monitor? Is it an old model? Also, any info on whether mpeg2 or mpeg4?

If it is the one I am thinking of it is old tech, blacks are not as black, colours not so good.

bmm wrote: »
    Any model number for this 23" Samsung TV in Currys or is it a monitor? Is it an old model? Also, any info on whether mpeg2 or mpeg4?

Not sure of the model number. It's not on the Currys UK site either.

It's a HD TV with Digital Tuner, but as for MPEG2/4?? I dunno, Like I said, the pleb sales fella in the shop just looked at the sticker and it had the "DIGITAL TICK and Freeview logo" so he told me it would work. I wasn't getting into a discussion with him about the UK Freeview being different to Irish Standard etc....

Off topic, but this was the same Currys (in the Blanchardstown Centre) that the sales guy couldn't tell me why "Spin / 98 / 104" weren't working on the DAB radios (about 2 months after the Commercial DAB multiplex was switched off) I inquired out of pure devilment as they still had all the "Trial Service" branding up.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys etc.....!

Ok, had a play around with the T200HD from Tesco last night.

It's a nice set. Perfect size for a Kitchen / Dining Room or Bedroom.

Analogue tuner works fine. Digital is a bit more tricky. Doesn't seem to me MPEG4 (unless the one I saw in Powercity sticker was wrong, or it was an updated version with new chipset on Digital part of it) BTW, this was only 95cent more expensive than Tesco, priced at €199.95, so perhaps the Tesco deal isn't THAT good if other retailers are selling at in and around the same price!

The manual seems to be geared towards it being a PC Monitor (with TV function) rather than a TV (with monitor function) Doesn't explain the TV part very well, or comprehensively!

It has inputs for everything... 2 x HDMI, scart, PC etc.... so it's well spec'd.

I put my "Neotion Pocketcam NP4" card into the CAM slot on the side (but once inserted, the cover on the side won't close), and hey presto, up popped the 4 terestrial channels on DTT. TV3 seemed to have lip-sync problems, but dunno if that was the decoding at the TV with the Card Adapter, or a TV3 issue. RTE was fine.

DOWNFALL:

The volume on it doesn't seem to be brilliant. Watching a Sky box (fed through the house via analogue Distribution Amp) the volume needed to be up to 100% to hear it clearly. Not sure if this was because the way the box was feeding it or not, but on Digital Tuner, the volume was ok I guess (even if it was a bit "tiney" sounding)

LarWright don't suppose u have a scan of the price you paid for this and which Tescos it was in. Longford Tesco have it bet for €270 !!!

I don't! Unfortunately, but if was defo 199 euro last week/

The version Powercity sell has now gone up to 239, but it does MPEG4. Although it's a "T200HD" the "Model version" on the rear is slightly different!

LarWright don't suppose u have a scan of the price you paid for this and which Tescos it was in. Longford Tesco have it bet for €270 !!!

Same in clearwater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I got the 22" version of this TV in Tesco before Xmas for €220.

As others have pointed out, its really a PC monitor with a TV tuner, rather than the other way round, if that makes sense. As a result of this, the sound quality is poor enough, and viewing angle is not great, i.e. you need to be looking directly at it, from angles it darkens like your laptop screen would. However, viewed straight on, the pic quality is quite good.

It doesn't have MPEG4 (Irish DTT channels have sound only, no picture!), but I didn't expect to see MPEG4 on it, considering it's typically only available on upper-end larger screens at the moment.

Having said that, I'm pleased enough with it, as I just needed it for a bedroom.

And on the upside, its a very smart, funky, modern looking set, very slim and light.

• Advertisement

I'll meet ya halfway between Dublin and Longford and sell ya my week old one :) I really want a wall mountable one lol

I have to say, as I did before it is more a PC monitor than a TV, but didn't see any issues with viewing angle (as described by JoeA3 on the 22" version) The angle is quite wide on this, and like Joe said, is a great looking TV.

I do really like the aesthetics Samsung stuff.

Despite the fact it doesn't have MPEG4, has more than enough inputs for Set top box like Sky of NTL / PC etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pavelpro

There is 22" Samsung Monitor/Tv on AMazon at that moment and they ship to Irl, as i remember price was 199 pounds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

I have the T200HD and T220HD, and think they're both fantastic, except for the sound as other people have said. One I only use for watching the news, so I make do with the speakers even though they're completely tinny, but the other I use external speakers on.

It's not MPEG4 compatible, but then are there any smaller, low-to-midrange tvs that are yet? It would be nice to have one, because this TV won't tune in analogue at a watchable quality at all, despite my old TV being perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

pavelpro wrote: »
    There is 22" Samsung Monitor/Tv on AMazon at that moment and they ship to Irl, as i remember price was 199 pounds...

Thats a very reasonable price

ipod.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Linku wrote: »
    It would be nice to have one, because this TV won't tune in analogue at a watchable quality at all, despite my old TV being perfect!

I get a reasonably good analogue reception on mine, but any LCD will show up even a slightly dodgy reception to a much greater degree than an old CRT will.

@LarWright - you say you inserted a card into the CAM slot and you managed to get MPEG4 working that way? Where do I get such a card?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

ibood have somehting similar (if not the same) for €99 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

ibood have somehting similar (if not the same) for €99 today.

??? They had a Philips Hard Disk DVD Recorder 160 GB DVDR3570H today not a monitor.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    @LarWright - you say you inserted a card into the CAM slot and you managed to get MPEG4 working that way? Where do I get such a card?!

See this thread (and my post re the CAM Adaptor Card)! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57599916#post57599916 it will tell you all you need to know about MPEG 4 and lets try keep the Bargain Alerts in this thread! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 hubabuba

you buy the Samsung 22" LCD Syncmaster T220HD, on komplet for 239 euro plus delivery which is about 13 euro i think.

Komplett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I got one in Tescos Coonagh Limerick yesterday to use mainly as a PC monitor. I am very happy with it though as already stated the sound is a bit tinny and the maximum volume level is limited.

It rang up as 279 euro on the till but they reduced it to 199 after checking the price on the shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mel123

the price actually went back up. i got two, thought my brother wanted one. Brought it back on Monday and the girl at the till told me they went back up to 279, and i passed by them and the price was in fact back up full price. Even tho the ad in the paper said 'while stocks last' it should have obviously just said 'for a limited period'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It's gone back to €199 now

Advertisement