Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No bios beeps - blank screen - HELP!

Options
  • 06-05-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just had my first attempt of building a pc.

I've powered it on but I get no bios beeps and a blank screen.

Everything seems to be powering up - hdd, dvd, gpu fan etc etc but that's all I'm getting.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

need a bit more details on your components!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Make sure the case speaker is pluged into mobo - then remove gpu, cpu and memory. Power up and see if it beeps. If there are no beeps your mobo is more than likely dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Make sure the case speaker is pluged into mobo - then remove gpu, cpu and memory. Power up and see if it beeps. If there are no beeps your mobo is more than likely dead.

Hi lads,

Thanks for the replies.

It's an Antec 300 case which has no speakers. Presume that would explain lack of bios beeps?

It's an ASUS P5QL mobo and the graphics is a Gainward Geforce GTS 250

I tried changing for VGA to DVI to connect to my monitor but no joy.

I just noticed that if I mess around with Caps lock and num lock on the keyboard the lights on the keyboard don't turn on/off ....presume this isn't a good sign? :(

Nope, not a good sign. Remove the processor and reseat it.
    Then boot with the bare minimum - 1 stick of ram, processor and GPU, test it and see if it boots.

Also, make sure the power is going to your GFX card!!

Nope, not a good sign. Remove the processor and reseat it.
    Then boot with the bare minimum - 1 stick of ram, processor and GPU, test it and see if it boots.

Also, make sure the power is going to your GFX card!!

Tried reseating the processor - seems to match up. All the notches are matching - presume it can only go one way?

There's 12 power pins on the gfx card. There's a cable marked "pci-express" from the psu which has 6 pins - i'm using that to power the gfx card. But there's still 6 spare pins on the gfx card - but I don't know what they could be for. The fan is powering up so I presume that means the gfx card is ok?

• Advertisement

Ah, there's your prob. You are running a 450w PSU yes?
    It only has support for 6pin PCIe. However, your card needs 2 of these. Your power supply is not giving your card enough.

Look in the graphics card box/packaging for another 4-pin molex to 6 pin PCIe adaptor and use it to give the card extra juice!

:)

Looks something like this:

MOLEX2PCIeX.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Phew!

You might want to look into getting a better power supply by the by, 450 will probably do short term but I doubt it would last the test of time.

Phew!

You might want to look into getting a better power supply by the by, 450 will probably do short term but I doubt it would last the test of time.

Totally agree. 450w will do now but a 600w+ would be a better choice, especially for upgrading.

Ah, there's your prob. You are running a 450w PSU yes?
    It only has support for 6pin PCIe. However, your card needs 2 of these. Your power supply is not giving your card enough.

Look in the graphics card box/packaging for another 4-pin molex to 6 pin PCIe adaptor and use it to give the card extra juice!

:)

Looks something like this:

MOLEX2PCIeX.gif

Really got my hopes up there :(.

Found that adapter. Looks identical to the one in your pic. Two seperate molex connections from it so connected two molex to them but still no joy :(

Does this mean it's defo the mobo that's faulty or is there anything else I can try?

I'd say the PSU can't push your graphics card. what is the power supply?

• Advertisement

If you could give us a detailed list of your components. Model numbers/etc.
    Will try to be of more assistance!

Also ensure that you have enough power going to the board?

Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L

Make sure the other 4-pin power is going to the board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Take the board out of the case and see if it makes POST, I've seen it where solder on the back of the mobo can short them out and stop the system powering on and you have to slap some kind of insulating material such as a bit of card behind the board.

Also ensure that you have enough power going to the board?

Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L

Make sure the other 4-pin power is going to the board!

Mr.Fatal Exception ....I could kiss u!! :P

Just connected the spare 4 pin and it worked :D

Thanks a million!

lol

enjoy your new computer!

haha, cool man.

Enjoy your build!

Advertisement