Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recording a Mix from Vinyl on to a Laptop.

• 06-05-2009 4:32pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My flatmate has Technics 1210's with a numark mixer - I was trying to help him record a mix last night - but it did not go very well.

I ran a lead from the back of the mixer (RCA's) into my Microphone socket on my laptop. I used Audacity to record, but it sounds like shyte!

Not sure what I am doing wrong - I played with the levels on the Mic from within Audacity and also the master output on the mixer - but the best I can get it is that it sounds fine, but the level is really low. If I turn it up its just totally distorted.

Has anyone done this before and had these problems? What am I doing wrong?

I might try again tonight and instead of using a laptop I'll hook up to my PC which has a decent soundcard. I'll try that, but any other tips for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

If the mic in doesn't double as a line in, there's nothing you can do. You'll have to use the PC instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Yea you just need to make sure you're using the Line In rather than the Mic in. You mightn't have a line-in on the laptop, or you might have to specifically tell it to be a line in.

If you have a decent soundcard in the PC, you'll defo have a line in. On mine, when I plug in the output into my line-in, a nice little window pops up telling me I've plugged something into the line in, and asks what quality I'm to use - there's 3 options so I set the highest one. This is what I'm doing for ustream and the sound quality is bang on - have a listen here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

joker77 wrote: »
    Yea you just need to make sure you're using the Line In rather than the Mic in. You mightn't have a line-in on the laptop, or you might have to specifically tell it to be a line in.

In the recording properties for the laptop soundcard, choose both microphone and line in for recording :)
    And bring the slider down to the bottom on both boxes after they appear and have the microphone box ticked.
    Works fine in a old laptop i have here and using Nero Wave Editor 8 to record and control the output levels so it won't distort, and choose microphone as the line in on the software.
    Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The inbuild audio hardware on laptops is generally crap, best buying an external audio interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Unfortunately the answer is down to your hardware, as Sean_K said, most laptops have crap hardware and the sound card is the first to suffer. If you have a MAC on the other hand...

Personally, I use an iKey...it will run you about 100 euro but its WELL worth it, check it: http://www.ikey-audio.com/ikey.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement