Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording calls

• 06-05-2009 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I know that there are many legal issues around recording phone calls but ...

A husband of a close relative of wife's runs a very successful business. He has profound literacy issues. His work is very much an outdoor pursuit but he is seriously challenged when people make enquiries and leave him details.

He is not at all proficient at taking notes. He knows I am technically literate and he is wondering if there is a device or a mobile handset which would allow him to record call conversations for later recall so that he can then take notes at his leisure. He said this, above all features, would be the most useful thing for him as his reading/writing disability is very challenging for his effectiveness at taking orders and fulfilling them.

Anyone know how I might go about looking into a device for him ?
    I know that, at a minimum, any device which records a second party must
    inform them so that they are aware they are being recorded.

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Some phones can record calls. My Sony Ericcsson K800i can and I'm sure many others can too. You could also suggest he uses a service like this: http://kbell.ie/kendlebell/Main/Home.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

cormie wrote: »
    Some phones can record calls. My Sony Ericcsson K800i can and I'm sure many others can too. You could also suggest he uses a service like this: http://kbell.ie/kendlebell/Main/Home.htm

Really? I had mine for 18 months and didn't spot that. A great feature on a phone I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think it's only available in the menu when you're on a call, would be handy if you could set it up to automatically record and ask if you wanted to save it after the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

theres a program im using on my nokia called 'total recall' and it works well...it automatically runs from start up and records all calls,could be what your looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

You are legally allowed to record something if only one party knows of the recording being done. So recording a phone conversation without telling someone is fine, as long as you know yourself that you are recording!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

You are legally allowed to record something if only one party knows of the recording being done. So recording a phone conversation without telling someone is fine, as long as you know yourself that you are recording!
    I'm not qualified to know about the legallity of that but I'd have serious doubts. If that were the case, insurance companys, banks etc wouldn't need to tell you that your phone call might be recorded for "training purposes", would they? I've used Total Recall and it works pretty well. There are other recorders on the market that you can trial for free, so he should try a few as they have different features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

cormie wrote: »
    Most newish Sony Erriccsons can record a phone call. I have a W610i and it records very well, however every few seconds it plays a small tone that people pick up on but wont know that you are recording unless you tell them. Select RECORD from the menu while the phone is ringing.

Its polite to let them know the call is being recorded, otherwise people could have serious issues with it if they find out by other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Thanks for all the replies.

He is most used to Nokia user interface so I'd be surprised if he will switch to a Sony Ericcson.

As it happens someone from O2 phoned him the other day to tell him he was eligible for an upgrade. He mentioned his dyslexia problem and she suggested the Nokia 3125 Classic. She said that it allows recording of calls.
    I've asked him to be 100% sure before accepting this phone that it can indeed do this. I'm just a little concerned that the phone may be able to record his voice as a basic dictation device but not calls. If it doesn't support call recording out of the box then that phone (not being Symbian Series 60) is unlikely to support it via a downloadable app.

-ifc

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Sorry last post should have said 3120 classic (not 3125)
    I checked the spec on www.gsmarena.com and it looks to me that it has
    a basic voice memo function. I'd be surprised if it can simultaneously record calls. I suspect that the O2 salesperson is talking out of their hat.

-ifc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

On Nokia's site under Voice features it states:
    Voice commands and voice recording

It does have voice recognition to make calls but the recording isn't in the manual for the phone so i would go for the 3120c unless can say otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its only some that have that option, definitely not most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Several types of cordless landline phones will record a call now too. I've never used it but I've noticed that it's a feature on my new Siemens phone.

Advertisement