Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'The Kerry Way' & Skellig Michael

Options
  • 06-05-2009 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wondering if any of ye lovely Kerry folk have walked the 'Kerry Way' walking trail :)

Here it is
    kerry_way_map.jpg

Myself and couple of friends are planning on doing so during the summer! We aint terribly experienced walkers, but we managed to survive the Wicklow Way from Glendalough back to Dublin (so, half of it!), so looking for another to do now.

How is the walk? From looking at OS maps etc. it looks as though it's mainly low land, through valleys and along the coast, as opposed to the WW which is a sh*tload of mountains. Is that correct? That would suit me down to the ground :D We're more looking for scenery and nature and stuff rather than vertical inclines

Any thoughts?

And also, anybody been to Skellig Michael? Heard a tourist died there recently :( That made me look into it a bit more, and it looks so (a) formidable, and (b) gorgeous! Is it dangerous? Is it possible to camp there?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

We've done long stretches of the Way, especially in the Black Valley/Glencar/Glenbeigh area - you won't regret it, if you come with an open mind about the weather, which can be a bit surprising at times.
    There are a number of excellent books, including this one by Killorglin writer Sean O'Suilleabhain, which breaks the way down into bite-sized portions, and should help you a great deal. There are plenty of manageable sections, certainly in the area with which we are familiar.
    It would be wrong to speculate on the tragic accident on Skellig Michael this week as the investigation is still ongoing - enough to say that it is a magnificent place to visit, as part of an organised tour.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks for that!

Anybody else? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 niallo1

I came back from doing some of the kerry way yesterday. i started out near muckross and ended up in glenbeigh (or more specifically rossbeigh).

I couldnt recommend it highly enough, but could not compare it to the other parts of the kerry way as I didnt have enough time to continue on.

The first stage from Mucross to Black valley wasnt particualry hard but it is beautiful. The people in the black valley hostel were very nice and I got a bed for 17euro - they have a lttle shop too with a few bare necessities.

The next day I set out with the aim of reaching Glencar, which I did manage ok. I stopped in the cookie monster cafe for a little break (very nice hosts and the best of homemade food!). There was a bit more climbing on this one but with the bonus of amazing scenery. The arrival in Glencar required a long walk by road around lough acoose. I went to the climbers inn in glencar and didnt really a good feel for the place so i gambled on the glencar house hotel. At 50euro per night it was a bit more expensive but well worth it. Again, I was the only person staying in the joint. It was far from perfect but I enjoyed it (plus they have a bar). Extra 1 mile walk too though.

The walk from glencar to glenbeigh was short. I took the scenic route around the last mountain/hill as I had plenty time to spare and as I wanted to be by the sea for my last night I walked out to rossbeigh and stayed there. I stayed in rossbeigh beach b&b and at 40 per night it represented the best value (my room over looked the fabulous beach) and i got a great breakfast.

In hindsight, I could have gone from black valley to glenbeigh direct without the over night stay. I debated this on the way and asked my self the question: what are you here for? Rush through and get to destination fast or meander through and soak in the journey? ... I chose the latter.

I cant wait to find the time to head from glenbeigh onwards to caherciveen etc

Good luck and enjoy the trip

p.s. when the scenery is as good as it is ... the weather doesnt matter ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

In the Glencar area, try Breda Breen at Blackstones House. An excellent B&B at sensible prices, in a lovely setting, leaving a couple of hours walk to Glenbeigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Killarney to Glenbeigh is, in my opinion the most beautiful stretch, however it might be worth your while to pass through the Gap of dunloe. Its a pretty spectacular bit of scenery and if you enter from the Kate Kearney side it will take you into the Black Valley and onto Glencar. You can also take a boat ride across the lakes back to Ross Castle from the foot of the black valley which is a nice little side trip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement