Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Carp, at last!!

Options
  • 06-05-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

my mate headed down to a carp lake yesterday hoping to land my first carp, and i wasnt disappointed! Got great advice from the owner and 3 dublin anglers as to where to fish, i.e. at the rod tip! had loads of carp, by best was a 5lb mirror, my mates best was a 6.5lb common (see below). cant wait to get back there again, great lake and the owner is really sound.

sdc11094a.jpg

sdc11075aa.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

good lad, well done :)

nothing fights like a carp!!

what did ya catch them on?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Do you pay to fish here now? Last time I was there I thought it was free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

yeh you do, last time must have been about 5 yrs ago

also please remove the location, one of the only decent carp lakes around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

location removed! I know what you mean...... I dont like people knowing where i go piking or bream fishing!

all the bigger fish came on meat, if I put on maggots, all i got was 3-4oz carp, got very few bites on corn. They really do fight very hard, and on match gear, they are great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

my mate headed down to a carp lake yesterday hoping to land my first carp, and i wasnt disappointed! Got great advice from the owner and 3 dublin anglers as to where to fish, i.e. at the rod tip! had loads of carp, by best was a 5lb mirror, my mates best was a 6.5lb common (see below). cant wait to get back there again, great lake and the owner is really sound.

sdc11094a.jpg

sdc11075aa.jpg

great to hear. how did you catch and what bait and technque did you use. i have only ever fished for trout.

• Advertisement

stevoman wrote: »
    great to hear. how did you catch and what bait and technque did you use. i have only ever fished for trout.

luncheonmeat was the bait of the day, cut into 10mm cubes. It kept the smaller carp away as it cant fit into their mouth. most fish came from under the rod tip, 1 foot away from the margins.

luncheonmeat was the bait of the day, cut into 10mm cubes. It kept the smaller carp away as it cant fit into their mouth. most fish came from under the rod tip, 1 foot away from the margins.
    did you use a float or anything or any led shot?

yea, i fished a fairly big waggler float, as i was getting a lot of line bites, i had the bulk shot at the float, and a pattern of 3 number 6 shots down the hook link. the waggler was a self loaded float, (had a bit of brass i think, built into the bottom of the float), and it took another 6BB shot. Big float for big fish:D

yea, i fished a fairly big waggler float, as i was getting a lot of line bites, i had the bulk shot at the float, and a pattern of 3 number 6 shots down the hook link. the waggler was a self loaded float, (had a bit of brass i think, built into the bottom of the float), and it took another 6BB shot. Big float for big fish:D

nice set up. it paid off well!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bennm521

hi all, any one care to private message me the location of this lake, looks good, cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement