Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips on how to study ?

Options
  • 06-05-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

does anyone have any ?
    i seem to be all ready to study but then its "oh theres the computer, must check my emails, and boards, and msn, and bebo, and..... everything!!".. then on goes the music, then il start fiddling with a random piece of paper..
    then its dinner time..
    so my strategy really doesnt seem to work ?

ideas appreciated :D:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

Think to yourself: Jesus I have the most important exams ever coming up in 4 weeks. I dont want to have to repeat!

Usually works. :D

Try and do loads of exam questions, correct your Pre's ect.. You wil be grand. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

PlayGirl wrote: »
    does anyone have any ?
    i seem to be all ready to study but then its "oh theres the computer, must check my emails, and boards, and msn, and bebo, and..... everything!!".. then on goes the music, then il start fiddling with a random piece of paper..
    then its dinner time..
    so my strategy really doesnt seem to work ?

ideas appreciated :D:pac:

Set up a good study space(comfortable chair, books you need around you, and quiet...etc)
    Youve 4 weeks today till youll be sitting in the exam hall, after that youll have alot of free time to waste on Bebo, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shelllz

Turn off the PC you don't need it its only a distraction.

Structure your study time: this morning I'm going to do x,y & z. Take breaks and you can reward yourself by checking your emails, boards etc but put a time limit on breaks too!!

At this stage you should be really working from the exam papers to orientate your revision, practice makes perfect and all of that!

Best of luck for the exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I find putting what I need to do in my phone calendar and put an alarm on works. Basically the night before I think of what I need to do, etc... put it into my phone and set alarms.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

wat i do is go to my nan's. I do be so bored id rather study :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Set out a timetable,give yourself maybe 20 minutes to have something done in, so that for the 20 mins, your under pressure to get it done, after every 40 minutes of work maybe, take a 5 min break

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

just on a side note...How do you guys reward yourself on the weekends?Im assuming no one still goes on the piss
    Sorry for hijacking I think its relevant and I dont think it deserves its own thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Avoid the internet, especially boards. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

poisonated wrote: »
    just on a side note...How do you guys reward yourself on the weekends?Im assuming no one still goes on the piss
    Sorry for hijacking I think its relevant and I dont think it deserves its own thread

Study is still a key part of the weekends, but I just make sure I get up early and do it so I can go out for ages. :p But yeah, I told myself I wouldnt go on the piss, but I went on sunday. :( I was only planning on having a few casuals, but damn friends just feeding me with drink. :rolleyes:

What about Leaving Cert Mass / Grad thing? Mines next wednesday. Everyone go on the piss for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

OP: Study somewhere where your computer can't distract you, like another room. At least if you have to actually stand up and walk there you might realise along the way what you're doing. Also, if there is any work you need to do that requires turning on your PC, do it last. Don't delude yourself into thinking, "I'll just do this and go straight back to study". Trust me, it never works. I have a lot of experience in trying to avoid computers. : p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Only dawned on me the other day how screwed i am for this thing.

My advice.

Try a timetable, just one for the next four weeks, you might as well give it your best, even if its only one or two exam questions every day from now until the exams, think how much you'll improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I rewarded myself last weekend by going to the pub. Twice.
    I'm rewarding myself this coming weekend by going to a gig.

Meh. May as well take a break...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Aw no haven't been on the piss since...last Saturday.:D Hangovers galore for me, Leaving Cert or no Leaving Cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 leet_gangsta

well thats not too bad, i recently got addicted to twitter and i insist on updating it whenever im doing something else,

what works for me is that i summerise the notes (for like biology, chemistry, physics)

and for biology i concentrate on the first 2 sections of the book (they are worth like 80% i think), and then physics = option question and mechanics/heat and experiments some electricity, and for chemistry i go for the experiments (all of them) and organic + equilibrium, im pretty good at math im like blessed,

Advertisement