Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get UNSALTED nuts?

• 06-05-2009 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I love peanuts but every single bag of them on sale have salt in them. Does anybody know where to get unsalted peanuts? Just plain 'ol peanuts, without the shell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Asian shops do cashews and shelled pistachios, normal peanuts are rarer to find there but I have seen them. Try the baking sections in supermarkets, they usually have unsalted ones, and can be a lot cheaper too. My tesco has nuts in about 5 areas!, with fruit & veg, on its own nut stand, with snacks, in baking, in health food, and I think in a "foreign foods" section. Prices vary a lot, with no single area cheapest.

Eileen mentioned rubbing salted ones with a tea towel or kitchen towels maybe. You can put them in a sieve to shake a lot off, or I have rinsed them before but I use them for cooking, but rinsing and putting in a warm oven should dry them off.

Holland & barret do unsalted no added oil 100% peanut butter, about €6.50 or €7 for a 1kilo tub, ask for it as it is sometimes out back as it is so big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

Holland and Barrett - they have really good offers on all the time, it's a great shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Health food shop...? The one near me does unsalted peanuts in bags that are labelled "caution, may contain nuts" which I always have a laugh at :D

Tesco are still selling monkey nuts! they're so so cheap but you have to have the patience to peel the skin!!!

Otherwise any supermarket or health food shop does unsalted nuts, just look in either the fruit and veg or the health food sections rather than the snack section where all the bad ones will be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Regular shop: Marks & Spensers: The "Eat Well" range... raw nuts, especially pistachios and almonds are unsalted (nothing added) and yuM.
    Then of course Holland and Barrett, they're everywhere with great range. And the "Healthfood Store".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

any health food store will sell them, for a reasonable price too! I buy mine from the health store in Dundrum or Rathmines(swan centre). They also make their own peanut butter for 1.50 a jar and its delish

Advertisement