Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stratovarius and Firewind

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Which one's you?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

On the left with the Blind Guardian tshirt

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Ah right, I've got no idea why I even asked that :D

I think I need the sleep, got plenty of pics I'll need to sort through tomorrow.

eg:

80490.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

WHAT AN AMAZING NIGHT!

Yes, I would be on the right in that photo, thank you for your concern. :p

Got a pick, drumstick and setlist from Eden's Curse, bottle of water from Strato and of course alot of great memories. The photo with Gus G completed the night I think! Firewind easily got the most energy out of the crowd as I think half the crowd there went just to see them. I was amazed at how many people knew the words to Strato's/Firewind's songs, didn't think they had such a large fanbase here. I guess I was wrong. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I really enjoyed Firewind, can't wait to see 'em at Graspop. Great energy about them. :D
    I listened to Strato, thats about it.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Me and Twilightning with Gus G, sound man

97652828a10865012200l.jpg

Hey I recognise you. I was to your right through the whole gig wearing a Cork t-shirt... when everyone else was doing the 'one more tune' bit my mates were the ones shouting 'aul wan's horse'. At least I think thats what happened... I was in an awful state... great gig.

Went to Bruxelles after and guess who struts in but Stratovarius and Firewind in their entirety... I had good long conversations with them. They're all mad sound. The bassist is really wise and the keyboardist is a bit mental. He said he wasn't happy with his solo! I'm pretty sure some guys from Eden's Curse were there as well. Anyway, I got absolutely hammered with Stratovarius, got McDonald's afterwards and that's all that matters.

Hey I recognise you. I was to your right through the whole gig wearing a Cork t-shirt... when everyone else was doing the 'one more tune' bit my mates were the ones shouting 'aul wan's horse'. At least I think thats what happened... I was in an awful state... great gig.

Ahahaha xD yeah I remember that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Yeah there was a girl in front of me whipping me with her hair throughout. I let her be though cause it's good to see people enjoying themselves... she's lucky I was in a good mood though.:pac:

Bit of a go slow lately

Firewind:
    B0DAEC49172C44D8860238426483494E.jpg

D6484839D7E3462DAA17F2C6F6DC110C.jpg

7C9F8232DD134DB6BACFA24EDE7FE4BE.jpg

2CA189F961C14CF7BD86A7431C300A44.jpg

Stratovarius:
    271FA97A56E74C0ABD0812033F1F3BD5.jpg

BF70850BBFF348D1AD3249287324F886.jpg

456E36CB45CF4006A29213D97C2E80E7.jpg

F22D2E48007F45FBB488DD6D326BB26A.jpg

Full set here

Ghost, were you the guy waiting outside the venue like an hour or two before it started?

• Advertisement

Ghost, were you the guy waiting outside the venue like an hour or two before it started?

No I'm afraid not, I didn't get in till after eight because I was drinking in Foggys, I completely missed the first band.

No I'm afraid not, I didn't get in till after eight because I was drinking in Foggys, I completely missed the first band.

Ah right, just wondering! 'Cause the guy looked like he was a photographer.

Epic photos there man.

Ah right, just wondering! 'Cause the guy looked like he was a photographer.

Epic photos there man.

Cheers.

'Twasn't me anyway. If the guy you saw was a photographer I think I know who you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

Barry (Passenger) and I were in there too.
    Amazing gig! I got to meet Firewind, got them to autograph a CD, and I got photos with Bob and Gus G. I got a kiss from Bob too, oh yeah!! :D
    Awesome pics man, nice work!

Cathy666 wrote: »
    Barry (Passenger) and I were in there too.
    Amazing gig! I got to meet Firewind, got them to autograph a CD, and I got photos with Bob and Gus G. I got a kiss from Bob too, oh yeah!! :D
    Awesome pics man, nice work!

Thanks.

Where were you sitting? Me and a mate were sitting at the bar, but I didn't really notice anyone else that looked like they were going to the gig except for a group of middle aged men at the back (wearing power metal shirts).

By the sounds of it you had a blast anyway. I was really surprised at how good it was to be honest. I really enjoyed Firewind even though I didn't know any of their stuff and of course Stratovarius were great too.

Thanks.

Where were you sitting? Me and a mate were sitting at the bar, but I didn't really notice anyone else that looked like they were going to the gig except for a group of middle aged men at the back (wearing power metal shirts).

By the sounds of it you had a blast anyway. I was really surprised at how good it was to be honest. I really enjoyed Firewind even though I didn't know any of their stuff and of course Stratovarius were great too.

You're welcome.

We were at the top of the stairs, just across from the bar.

I loved Firewind, they were savage. They should have been headlining that gig, to be fair. Stratovarius were good too. :)

I loved Firewind, they were savage. They should have been headlining that gig, to be fair. Stratovarius were good too. :)
    Well in fairness Strato were the one's promoting an album :P

Well in fairness Strato were the one's promoting an album :P

Well in fairness, Firewind are a million times better than Strato. Most of the people I spoke to, were there to see Firewind :D

Firewind are a million times better than Strato.
    :eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

They are!! :pac:

• Advertisement

Kev, I'll get the box for her throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Well in fairness, Firewind are a million times better than Strato. Most of the people I spoke to, were there to see Firewind :D

Ok explain how they are better then.

Aye most people were there for Firewind because they're the latest hip Rock magazine promoted act of the past couple of years and all the kids know them. All the Metalheads, Musicians, and older crowd who appreciate their music were generally there for Stratovarius. The only people I talked to who were there for Firewind were the Teenies. Did you see their rhythm section?? Lauri Porra alone was worth the admission.

To say they are 'a million times better' is pretty puerile isn't it? Now I'm waiting for you to back up your statement. I love people who make fatuous statements like that as it really highlights their musical credibility, or lack of, and 'this band is better than that band' statements are really an exercise in futility. So there Cathy. :P

I think it's a bit mad to say they're a million times better too! In fairness, Strato is considered as one of the major bands essential in the early formation of power metal itself, along with the likes of Helloween and Blind Guardian.

I've loved them for years and I'm so glad I finally got to witness their greatness live. It is a shame that the majority of people were there only for Firewind, since I can guarantee that that most of the people there had only heard of Firewind after the release of The Premonition. I've also liked Firewind for years, I remember when it was so hard to find their discography years ago. So don't think I'm biased towards Strato or anything. :pac:

I'd say technically, Strato would come out in front but both bands have such amazing things to offer as far as their music go.

Passenger wrote: »
    Ok explain how they are better then.

Aye most people were there for Firewind because they're the latest hip Rock magazine promoted act of the past couple of years and all the kids know them. All the Metalheads, Musicians, and older crowd who appreciate their music were generally there for Stratovarius. The only people I talked to who were there for Firewind were the Teenies. Did you see their rhythm section?? Lauri Porra alone was worth the admission.

To say they are 'a million times better' is pretty puerile isn't it? Now I'm waiting for you to back up your statement. I love people who make fatuous statements like that as it really highlights their musical credibility, or lack of, and 'this band is better than that band' statements are really an exercise in futility. So there Cathy. :P

That's rich, coming from the man who doesn't like Manowar because they have big muscles. :rolleyes: I prefer Firewind to Stratovarius. I like both bands, but in my humble opinion, Firewind are far superior.
    Judging a band, not on their musical ability, but on their appearance, well that says a lot about your music credibility...or lack thereof ;)
    So there Barry :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Because we all know how how cerebral Manowar's songwriting is. I just have trouble digesting their highbrow and sophisticated lyrical content. Their complex labyrinthine compositions just go over my head.

And btw I've never dismissed Manowar on their appearance, just their music.:rolleyes: Why would I? They're hunks.:o

Passenger wrote: »
    Because we all know how how cerebral Manowar's songwriting is. I just have trouble digesting their highbrow and sophisticated lyrical content. Their complex labyrinthine compositions just go over my head.

And btw I've never dismissed Manowar on their appearance, just their music.:rolleyes: Why would I? They're hunks.:o

You're such a sarcastic little sh!t. We've had this conversation on many drunken Saturday nights. It always finishes the same way too - "smoke?" :pac:

Clearly your idea of a hunk, and my idea of a hunk, are two completely different things! ;) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I think it's a bit mad to say they're a million times better too! In fairness, Strato is considered as one of the major bands essential in the early formation of power metal itself, along with the likes of Helloween and Blind Guardian.

Have to say that Firewind were definitely the band of the night imo. I used to love Stratovarius years ago, but then they just started to get boring and I stopped listening to them, whereas the 2 bands above have been simply fantastic over the years, thus my loyalty has never waivered.

I went to the gig for Firewind and they didn't fail to impress. Stratovarius were good, but they were up & down, but Firewind were brilliant the whole gig through (and I only have 1 of their albums in comparison to 7 Stratovarius) I had said to H before the gig, that they wouldn't have a big enough fanbase & I was right - even less payers than Kamelot. Anyone I know that used to be into Stratovarius, just don't like them that much anymore. Most people that I spoke to were there for Firewind, with an appreciation for Stratovarius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Who gives a ****!?!

Two deadly bands for the price of one.
    I got locked and had the balls rocked off me.

Epic win.

Who gives a ****!?!

Two deadly bands for the price of one.
    I got locked and had the balls rocked off me.

Epic win.

Finally some sanity to this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement