Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portishead/Massive Attaack/Sneaker Pimps triphop band Cork

Options
  • 06-05-2009 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey all,
    Lookin to start a trip hop influenced band in Cork. Think Portishead/Sneaker pimps/old 40s samples/film music/smooth female vocals/hip hop beats/heavy guitar.

Im a vocalist who plays synth and piano. I normally play with hooray for humans and occasionally with Fred, wanna start my own dealy...

Lookin for:
    Someone good with production/programming/scratchin/beats r whatever
    Drummer interested in playin hip hop beats
    Experience guitarist with open mind and love of heavy guitar
    Savage bass player!
    Possibly a synth/piano player

also open to anyone with interestin ideas and instruments

Thanks for looking! PM if interested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Nice idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 voxbot

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Nice idea!

thanks! Ive already had a good few ppl interested! sweet! If anyone else is interested PM me!

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Class....

Sneaker pimps - savage
    Massive Attack - great
    Portishead - Absolutely savage....

oh if i were in Cork ... . . . best a luck :)

Class....

Sneaker pimps - savage
    Massive Attack - great
    Portishead - Absolutely savage....

oh if i were in Cork ... . . . best a luck :)

thanks you guyseseseseses! Lots of interest so far... hmmm anyone got a theramin? And can play/sell it!?

Thanks

x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatacombKittens

Hello, I like those bands and may be interested in doing something trip hoppy with heavy guitars. Sent you a (rather long) PM.

• Advertisement

thank you! i just messaged you there! :-)

Hello?

How's this going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CmX

Sounds like something I've been planning myself.
    Just need a good female vocalist to complete the deal.
    Best of luck with it. Great to see other artists not sticking to the usual formula here in Ireland.

How's this going?

Dropped her a line, eventually got a reply, sent off a reply with some clips of my music etc. but have yet to get a reply to that reply, been a week and a half or so no, starting to get worried. Guess something came up, it kills me waiting to hear back though. I really hope this works out. She said she had a few people involved already though. Kinda wish I'd seen this earlier.

• Advertisement

Dropped her a line, eventually got a reply, sent off a reply with some clips of my music etc. but have yet to get a reply to that reply, been a week and a half or so no, starting to get worried. Guess something came up, it kills me waiting to hear back though. I really hope this works out. She said she had a few people involved already though. Kinda wish I'd seen this earlier.

You're based in Cork?

You're based in Cork?

Yep.

Yep.

If she's had alot of takers from Cork, why don't you set up your own?

Seems to be some interest down there

Might be an idea. It's not that it's full up though(stuff like Trip Hop acts are generally more of a musical collective than anything, rather than RIGHT YOU PLAY THE SAX, YOU PLAY THE BASS), but I'm still waiting for a reply or what have you.

If I still don't get one back in another week, I'll look into the idea. I don't get the feeling it'll work out too well though, even when demand for something seems to come out there's only so many people that will commit past "Whoa that sounds like a cool idea". For anything slightly niche a lot of the time it's hard to put together even one band, let alone two. In the 90s it would have been different of course.

Well this is getting a little silly at this stage, it's been 2 weeks... should I just give up and try to set my own up or hang on a bit longer?

Well this is getting a little silly at this stage, it's been 2 weeks... should I just give up and try to set my own up or hang on a bit longer?

I know the feeling!

I dunno. throw up a thread and see if there's interest

hey everyone, just checked my inbox there, ive been really busy lately so have just finished replyin to evryone..sorry for the delay

SO things are goin well with it,had lots of interest, even a possible theramin player.. waitin on my pal to get back from japan, then we'll start stuff.. also have to figure out how im gonna move my piano down to cork... hmmm

K so ill keppe ye posted, its lookin good...

jen x

Good to hear from you again.

You disappeared again :|

Okay, it's been over a month now since I replied to the reply, and I've yet to get an err, reply. I think I give up. I didn't actually read at first "ive been really busy lately so have just finished replyin to evryone..", I never got one so I'm a little confused.

That's just a crazy amount of time to wait for answer especially since I was putting other people on hold. It's fair enough if someone's busy, but this is a really long, painful and drawn out way to say "No" if that's the case.

• Advertisement

Hey everyone!

Just a quick update on developments with the band..

Thanks for your patience, I'm currently writing material for this project at the moment so hopefully it'll be up and running soon. As you probably guessed it's going to kind of a collective so people in the band may come and go, I'll be putting up posts looking for musicians playing specific instruments so keep checking this!

I'll be messaging everyone I think will be suitable at this stage for the collective/band over the next week or so and there are a few others that we prob wont need straight away like the theramin players etc.. but I'll message ye in the future if ye're still available!

As always, if anyone else is interested, or has any ideas, especially visually, please let me know! I'm also musing on the topic of a bandname- I'm thinking Sparrows possibly, if anyone has any interestin ideas do mail me!

Thanks again for all the interest and the lovely messages

love jen x

Okay, it's been over a month now since I replied to the reply, and I've yet to get an err, reply. I think I give up. I didn't actually read at first "ive been really busy lately so have just finished replyin to evryone..", I never got one so I'm a little confused.

That's just a crazy amount of time to wait for answer especially since I was putting other people on hold. It's fair enough if someone's busy, but this is a really long, painful and drawn out way to say "No" if that's the case.

I meant thank you to all the people who were NICE and not constantly complaining on this thread and sending rude messages...?!

I did get back to CatacombKittens several times, and I have constantly been nice to him but he keeps sending hostile messages... it's not how things are done by any musician I know. Well anyway, hope he joins one of the many bands he says he's gotten offers from and everything works out for him!

AWESOME! Cant wait for this to get off the ground, so excited!

jen x

voxbot wrote: »
    I meant thank you to all the people who were NICE and not constantly complaining on this thread and sending rude messages...?!

I did get back to CatacombKittens several times, and I have constantly been nice to him but he keeps sending hostile messages... it's not how things are done by any musician I know. Well anyway, hope he joins one of the many bands he says he's gotten offers from and everything works out for him!

AWESOME! Cant wait for this to get off the ground, so excited!

jen x

I honestly didn't get a single message from you since the 9th of last month, and I didn't mean any messages to come off as "Hostile". The most hostile it got was saying I felt it was a bit rude, and it was crazy to wait this long. This was after 2 months, from my point of view, of ignored PMs and posts in this thread. I don't have a problem waiting on people to sort things out - but absolutely no contact for 2 months, from my point of view, was very rude. I have aspergers myself so I have to put a lot of effort into not coming across as "rude", because of that I'm very concious of what I post in these situations.

I would say this is most likely a misunderstanding and the PMs didn't send correctly, but you're jumping to making some really unfair statements. I haven't saved the "hostile" PMs I sent but I think most of them were along the lines of "Hello?". I tried to be careful with what I posted but given you weren't responding via PM I didn't know what else to do. Most of the messages I left in this thread were still relatively polite. Nowhere did I explode at you or become aggressive. Maybe it might come off as that way if you didn't realise your PMs weren't getting through. I imagine it would look very strange.

Unfortunately I doubt the people I was waiting on are still available at this stage, and I honestly can't blame them. I don't think it's fair for me to take the blame over a misunderstanding, though. I'm sure there are plenty of normally perfectly nice people that would have reacted the same. It's a real shame to be written off over that. Personally, I'm fairly understanding over these things since I've had such things go wrong so often myself.

Fair enough if you didnt mean to be agrresive or rude, but you kind of were! Loads of friends have said to me that they saw this thread and said you were being very pushy..

Look anyway, like I said I hope you find a band and everything and I wish you the best!

jen

voxbot. No more shameless self promotion in this thread please. I moved your tour post to gigs/events.

Papa

voxbot wrote: »
    Fair enough if you didnt mean to be agrresive or rude, but you kind of were! Loads of friends have said to me that they saw this thread and said you were being very pushy..

Look anyway, like I said I hope you find a band and everything and I wish you the best!

jen

That's not really the main issue, those friends would have most likely seen the thread without the knowledge that I wasn't recieving any PMs from you at all. As for friends, I can say exactly the same on my end. I sent you a PM with a screenshot of my Inbox and you can see I didn't recieve anything. You claimed you'd sent more than one PM, you still haven't really addressed that. I don't think it's fair to make me out to be aggressive and rude here. Most people I've encountered would be fairly apologetic over things like this.

Also, the people I was jamming with haven't gotten back to me. I can't blame them given they would have been waiting some time for an answer.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    voxbot. No more shameless self promotion in this thread please. I moved your tour post to gigs/events.

Papa

oops

No prob.

Now ya know

\takes off Mrs. Doyle costume

No prob.

Now ya know

\takes off Mrs. Doyle costume

• Advertisement

That's not really the main issue, those friends would have most likely seen the thread without the knowledge that I wasn't recieving any PMs from you at all. As for friends, I can say exactly the same on my end. I sent you a PM with a screenshot of my Inbox and you can see I didn't recieve anything. You claimed you'd sent more than one PM, you still haven't really addressed that. I don't think it's fair to make me out to be aggressive and rude here. Most people I've encountered would be fairly apologetic over things like this.

Also, the people I was jamming with haven't gotten back to me. I can't blame them given they would have been waiting some time for an answer.

Millions of reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally long messages!
    +
    Constant whining on this thread!
    +
    the fact that I actually did wb!
    +
    SCREENSHOT OF YOUR INBOX!!!
    =
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeird...:eek:

Please stop messaging/ posting on this thread, there's no point!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement