Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting exterior wall

Options
  • 06-05-2009 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I've got the happy task of painting a very long exterior wall around the back garden this weekend.

Just wondering can I use a sprayer and just normal exterior paint? I'm painting it an off white colour so Im wondering if theres some sort of special wall undercoat that needs to be sprayed on first?

Here's the culprit..

wall.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Trotter wrote: »
    I've got the happy task of painting a very long exterior wall around the back garden this weekend.

Just wondering can I use a sprayer and just normal exterior paint? I'm painting it an off white colour so Im wondering if theres some sort of special wall undercoat that needs to be sprayed on first?

Here's the culprit..

wall.jpg

Personally i would just stick to a good brush and make sure the paint is santex finish, depending on what colour you use the one coat should be enough.

The

• Registered Users Posts: 23,380 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Spray paint has to be thinned to work in the sprayer.
    It would be an idea to try to spray it as that will be a nightmare to paint if you have a big area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

To thin the paint will I just add a bit of water to the emulsion? The spray will be quicker and thats important because I might not have a lot of time due to the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Rent a proper airless sprayer though instead of the little plastic toy black n decker ones.

You need to be careful though , if its any good it will happily drive paint straight through your skin if you aim the gun at it , possibly leading to amputation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

bushy... wrote: »
    You need to be careful though , if its any good it will happily drive paint straight through your skin if you aim the gun at it , possibly leading to amputation etc.

Not to mention that the spray is very light, and wind will carry it everywhere - in particular your neighbour's car washing etc :(

But if the weather good, it's a lot easier than a roller

• Advertisement
Advertisement