Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sparkpeople and recommended calories

• 06-05-2009 7:11pm

Hi,
    I've been filling my food into spark people for a week. Really like the way it showed me how my "couple of treats" one day contained as many calories as the rest of my food for that day!! And it's made me focus on my protein intake.

Anyway, sparkpeople's calculation based on my height and weight was that I need 1200 - 1550 calories a day. Question 1 is, is this what I should be eating for weight loss? Or to maintain my weight? (I know boardsies have recommended a formula for working this out but I'd be delighted with the spark version if I knew what it was telling me!!)

Question 2: A couple of days I've unintentionally gone a bit under the calorie intake. I reckon I'm eating muc better since I started tracking and I eat if I'm hungry. On the one hand, in weight watchers I know you can save points and I wondered if I could apply the same theory to myself (e.g. I can have a few drinks and not feel bad even if it puts me over my recommended calories for the day) BUT, I am aware that I don;t want to slow my metabolism by not consuming enough calories.... Advice?

(Also, I'm not exercising much yet but I'm easing myself back into it with a little bit of walking at the moment, hardly enought to burn off an apple I'd say :o )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What age, height, weight are you? I presume you are female from the name and low calories!

Unless you are tiny I would guess it is saying to eat that amount to lose weight, as it is quite low.

You can save calories now and then, do not go overboard and always ensure you are getting enough nutrition, that is where counting can go bad. Most people will naturally veer towards low cal foods which can be nutiritious, the danger is you going on a vodka binge with no nutritional value at all!

My calorie intake can vary wildly from one day to the next, I do some weight training and you are supposed to eat more before and after to give you energy and to recover. Any exercise will tend to boost your metabolism.

26 yr old female, 5' 2", and I'm under 9 stone. I'd say you're right and the 1200 -1550 kcal is to lose weight. I hope so!

There's little fear of me starving myself for a drink binge anyway because I don't do hunger, I get waaaay too cranky. The incredible hulk was actually inspired by a hungry dieter :p

Really have to kick my ass into gear and start exercising properly, then I won't have a worry about my metabolism and I know myself it'll do wonders for me... I'm finding it difficult to get beyond the chore aspect of it though! (And all the excuses...) Ah well, one step at a time! heh heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

26 yr old female, 5' 2", and I'm under 9 stone. I'd say you're right and the 1200 -1550 kcal is to lose weight. I hope so!

I am a similar-ish weight and find my maintenance is around 1400-1500 per day (with no activity) so it really does depend on how active you are to be honest. I presume at your weight though you are not looking to lose much, so a small deficit and lots of exercise would probably be best imo. I find that way is much easier.

Advertisement