Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1737 george II irish farthing

• 06-05-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

hello. i have just found the above coin and was wondering how to clean it? as it was mucky from being buried for over 2 centuries. i tried cleaning it with soapy water and a nail brush. i also put it in coke but its still black. i have no intention of selling it but i'd love to know a little about it. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 killerspec

suey71 wrote: »
    hello. i have just found the above coin and was wondering how to clean it? as it was mucky from being buried for over 2 centuries. i tried cleaning it with soapy water and a nail brush. i also put it in coke but its still black. i have no intention of selling it but i'd love to know a little about it. thanks.

Ok this may sound a little odd but in the past I have used Tomato sauce, Dominos garlic and herb sauce and sweet chilli sauce to clean coins hope this works for you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

oO

Putting it in coke is one sure way of destroying it, never ever clean coins!

Dug coins need to be cleaned but it must be done professionally, it's painstaking work and it does not involve ingredients from a pizzeria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

suey71 wrote: »

How do you know it's a Farthing? I found a coin here also from 1737, it's got Georgius II on the front, on the back it's got a picture of a Harp with a Crown on it and says HIBERNIA 1737, is this the same as yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

yeah this sounds like my coin. i checked it out on one of the coin websites and saw one that looked like mine there. still not 100%sure if its a farthing or a halfpenny though. as for not cleaning coins. i think that if you find out that its not worth much you should clean it if you want, specially if its covered in muck, as after all i'll be the one who enjoys looking at it. no disrespect meant blade.

Advertisement