Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knives - is this a good buy?

• 06-05-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I've read the sticky about buying knives and I know this brand was recommended but I assume the more expensive end of the range... however, I found these online and thought them good value but are they just a cheap version and not worth it? I'd appreciate your input (we really need new knives at home, I'm so sick of the ones we have).

Thanks

http://www.kitchendresser.net/wusthof-silverpoint-knife-block-set-2891-p.asp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

they look ok for home use but will you use all the knives at home some times you are better off buying the 2 or 3 knives you need. or as i say to my commis buy 1 or 2 knives every month and after a year you will have a nice collection

and a good steel to keep them sharp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah I was surprised how cheap and flimsy those silverpoint knives are, im not being a knife snob but the wusthof classics are way better quality wise.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 manflick

I got a brand called J.A.HENCKELS, Japanese, has a picture of a little man on it, in TK Maxx, about €20 or less each, RRP is €90-€120, they are amazing. Id never buy anything else. You can slice a whole turnip like its butter. Then get a magnetic wall holder in a kitchen/ catering suppliers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

For cheap knives, I'd second the TK Maxx recommendation. I prefer my Sabatier for meat and any really finicky stuff, but the cheap (€12) santuko I got there a few months ago has held its edge well and I tend to use it quite a lot for veggie work. It won't last forever, but I'll get a year out of it and then I'll go buy a proper Shun or something, now that I know I like the basic santuko shape.

Advertisement