Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predicament!

• 06-05-2009 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm building a new pc and need to buy Vista for it.

But I'm thinking if I spend money on Vista now does that mean if I want Windows 7 in a few months time I'll have to fork out again for that.

Is there any scheme whereby if you buy vista now you get a discounted Windows 7? ...a bit like buying an XP just before Vista came out - u were entitled to an upgrade!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can get Windows 7 Release Candidate for Free now, and the license on that will last until next March (effectively), well after the Retail Release comes out.

Unfortunately Microsoft is being a smelly douche and isnt doing the right thing by offering Vista users a discount upgrade to windows 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

You get a free upgrade when you purchase through an OEM after July 1, but I guess that doesn't help you if you're just buying a license, so as Overheal says maybe try the RC.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=609&pgno=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unless you are buying a game that uses DX10, there is nothing at all that "Needs" Vista.

The RC windows7 is a test platform and not recommended for a main PC/laptop and will frequently shut down before it expires.

If you have to get a new PC now, go for XP, Ubuntu, OS X, Vista (in that order, unless you have a special need), and if desired upgrade later.

The majority of PC users in actual fact will not be upgrading to Windows 7 at once and the vast majority of Win7 licences will be pre-installed (not really chosen) or upgrades by Vista users (should be free as it's no more than a fixed version of Vista, i.e. SP3, heck, it even has the same NT version major number )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Overheal wrote: »
    You can get Windows 7 Release Candidate for Free now, and the license on that will last until next March (effectively), well after the Retail Release comes out.

Unfortunately Microsoft is being a smelly douche and isnt doing the right thing by offering Vista users a discount upgrade to windows 7.
    yes they will , there will most likely be an upgrade version, cheaper than the full retail version

but because they aren't a charity it won't ever be cheap

cheapest way of getting one license (apart from ebay) is still OEM pre-install
    but you have to buy a new license when you change mother board

academic discounts may be cheap too but not availabe to all

what do you need the pc for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

watty wrote: »
    Unless you are buying a game that uses DX10, there is nothing at all that "Needs" Vista.

The RC windows7 is a test platform and not recommended for a main PC/laptop and will frequently shut down before it expires.

If you have to get a new PC now, go for XP, Ubuntu, OS X, Vista (in that order, unless you have a special need), and if desired upgrade later.

The majority of PC users in actual fact will not be upgrading to Windows 7 at once and the vast majority of Win7 licences will be pre-installed (not really chosen) or upgrades by Vista users (should be free as it's no more than a fixed version of Vista, i.e. SP3, heck, it even has the same NT version major number )

Unfortunately I need DX10 as I'm using Flight Sim X which puts DX10 to good use to XP isn't really an option.

Have been running the Windows 7 Beta on my laptop for a few months now and it's going great.

I've just downloaded the RC now so we'll see how it goes :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement