Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating in Galway

• 06-05-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I just got a small 1980 boat which was off the water for over 4 years, and was restored. There is a 9,9hp on it. The boat was also desinfected professionaly for the zebra mussel which I learned just after a fisher man came and give out to me.

I did some web research to see if there was any restriction regarding leisure boat on the Loughrea lake, I only found the county councill "regulations" which only says that you can not navigate at more than 17 knots.

I never drove a boat before and went for to see if it was ok for maybe 5 minutre because the weather was really bad.

I also called the local guards for advices and told me to call the county councill for more information.

I just want to know how, when, where I can use my little boat, I don't fish, just go around, and if the engine is too big I don't mind to get a smaller one (I don't know how many knots a Suzuki 9.9hp goes to be honest)

I just want some information please or where I can get those info to this particular area.

I only know the waters ways website.

Thank you

1980Boat.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Join www.powerboat.ie and ask the same questions there. There is a guy called ALT from Galway - he will help you.
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

locteau wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I just got a small 1980 boat which was off the water for over 4 years, and was restored. There is a 9,9hp on it. The boat was also desinfected professionaly for the zebra mussel which I learned just after a fisher man came and give out to me.

I did some web research to see if there was any restriction regarding leisure boat on the Loughrea lake, I only found the county councill "regulations" which only says that you can not navigate at more than 17 knots.

I never drove a boat before and went for to see if it was ok for maybe 5 minutre because the weather was really bad.

I also called the local guards for advices and told me to call the county councill for more information.

I just want to know how, when, where I can use my little boat, I don't fish, just go around, and if the engine is too big I don't mind to get a smaller one (I don't know how many knots a Suzuki 9.9hp goes to be honest)

I just want some information please or where I can get those info to this particular area.

I only know the waters ways website.

Thank you

1980Boat.jpg

There is no fear of a 9.9hp outboard pushing your boat anywhere near 17Knts. Your safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Thanks that's a good and funny answer :D

What are the law about the zebra mussel, with boats crossing different lakes, river ? who has the right to stop me and apply the regulations (guards, county councils, fisherman ?)

What I mean is I don't mind to follow the clean up rules, but when I asked how to clean the boat/engine they says I have to brush them and use a certain product but nobody can tell me what product. Same about the rights of using the boat.......all this is very confusing for someone who wants to do the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

What are the law about the zebra mussel, with boats crossing different lakes, river ? who has the right to stop me and apply the regulations (guards, county councils, fisherman ?)

What I mean is I don't mind to follow the clean up rules, but when I asked how to clean the boat/engine they says I have to brush them and use a certain product but nobody can tell me what product. Same about the rights of using the boat.......all this is very confusing for someone who wants to do the right thing.

Its all harbour and coastal stuff I do so wouldnt have a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Unfortunately there are no regulations to stop people moving boats around but if they do so without disinfecting it they are being very irresponsible. The zebra mussel can cause huge change to a lake ecology that are irreversible.

I think Loughrea Lake is run by the local angling club and they are extremely protective of it - so make sure to clean your boat thoroughly before going there. You need to steam clean it with very hot water, preferably a pressure steam cleaner like thay have at some petrol stations. A dilute solution of bleach should be used also, and the boat should be scrubbed with a hard brush, as well as removing any weeds or other material.
    The engine cooling water can harbour mussel larvae, so it should be run in a dilute bleach solution, and preferably boat and engine should be left out of the water for 2-3 weeks before moving to a new water.

• Advertisement

This is brillant information, I have no problem to respects the rules and clean the boat.

I have two more questions if you don't mind :

- They told me that my boat need to be washed by the lake car taker which will give me a certificate..... I am very surprise by this, I can wash my boat myself.

- Can I move my boat from a free zebra mussel zone to another one, without the 3 weeks period ?

The local angling club may not believe you washed it yourself - some people will not bother and say they washed it when then didn't, getting a receipt from the car wash place after steam cleaning it is best.
    The problem is that zebra mussels are spreading, so where you think may be free of zebra mussels may actually have them, so moving a boat from any water to another you should leave 3 weeks in between. There are other species too, such as Lagarosiphon in the Corrib, or the new invasive shrimp species in Lough Derg, that are appearing all the time because of unregulated boat movement.

I suppose this is the right thing to do, I don't mind to wash the boat etc....

It means you take care of your equipment anyway.

Maybe I just had a bad expience, we my first contact with the anglers, I asked the local county councill, the only rules is about no going faster than 17knots (which my 9.9hp won't). The zebra is then only a recommendation which I don't mind to follow.

I just find not very welcoming to ask me to go to see this guy to wash my boat everytime I want to go on the lake, pay him for a certificate, that nobody will ever asked. How do they check everybody's boat then ?

I suppose this is the right thing to do, I don't mind to wash the boat etc....

It means you take care of your equipment anyway.

Maybe I just had a bad expience, we my first contact with the anglers, I asked the local county councill, the only rules is about no going faster than 17knots (which my 9.9hp won't). The zebra is then only a recommendation which I don't mind to follow.

I just find not very welcoming to ask me to go to see this guy to wash my boat everytime I want to go on the lake, pay him for a certificate, that nobody will ever asked. How do they check everybody's boat then ?

I can understand his anger - they put a lot of work and time into protecting the lake and developing it - that could all be wiped out by one inconsiderate person not cleaning their boat. No offence, you could be a very conscientious person who will always clean your boat, but the only way to prove that is by paying for it to get steam cleaned - its only a few euro. If you don't move it to any other lake and only use it there then you shouldn't have to wash it every time.

I undertsand, I am sure they do spend lots of time to take care of the lake. I do appreciate this.

Do you know where it is and can they do wash it when ever I want, is there a schedule ?

Then I suppose there is maybe a fee to use the lake every year etc....

I don't mind to do the right thing, and would be nice to have someone explain things instead of scaring beginners like me :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hold on a second, the lake isin't 'run' by any angling club.

At best, the lake is controlled by the Council - don't let any snotty arsed fisherman tell you otherwise.

Zebra mussels are a huge problem and Zzippy has given good advise. Powerhose with hot water if possible, wash down with bleech and then hot wash again. Then leave for 3 weeks to be totally cautious - If you follow these guidelines then you are not in danger of introducing any foreign species into the water system.

Unfortunately zebra mussel has hit the Corrib. And to no surprise, the Fisheries Board strongly suspect it's coase anglers that introduced them (yet they'd be the first person to give off about a boat :rolleyes:)

I spend a bit of time with the Western Regional Fisheries guys, and while they do their best to ensure that something doesn't get into the system, "its all a natural cycle" (to quote some of them)... anyhow i'm going off on a tangent here

This 'certificate' sound like bullsh1t to me, and there is NO WAY you would have to wash your boat every time you wanted to use the lake, provided you've been nowhere else since. So use your head, do as Zzippy and I have recommended, use your boat and enjoy it. As long as you aren't disturbing anyone else and not breaking the 17knot limit (funny definition, even if your boat was CAPABLE of doing 17 knots it would be automatically banned, it doesn't have to be doing that speed to break the bye-law, just has to be capable of doing it - funny eh... but that's a different story for a different day) then you're fine. If anyone tries to get snotty with you, ask them for ID to prove that they're in a position to make demands etc. at you - they won't be long fupping off.

BTW - try to get local knowledge, as I bet there's plenty of rocks out there. Also, Loughrea lake - sounds like a boring angling lake - you should head for the Corrib or the Shannon for a proper day out ;)

-Edit- Just did a bit of Googling. The lakes fish supply is stocked by the angling club - this has no effect on you as you're not going fishing. However it looks like a shallow lake and not a place i'd bring a boat. You're only up the road from Lough Derg - think you should concentrate on there to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

Believe me,your 9.9 won't push you at anything near 17 knots,your safe.

Advertisement