Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobseekers: How Many Jobs Have You Applied For So Far?

• 06-05-2009 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Y'all,

Just wondering from all you job seekers out there...how many and what type of jobs have you applied for so far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

about 60 jobs in the last 5 weeks - starting to send out cold call CVs now and see how i get on with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stephens770

if there actually were jobs wed be laughing,anyone here can get a 23 y o any job whatsoever theres 100e in it for you.even a reply or interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

this must an identity theft heaven, I work in an office in UNSPECIFIC SECTOR and we are getting loads of CVs every day, some even have PPS numbers, and signatures (on the CV itself or on the covering letter), dude :(

am I right in thinking that an email will be deleted, and for speculative applications its better to send a paper application?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Would say in the region of 400 over the past 3/4 months, unfortunately the sector that I have worked in is now completely dead.....(unless relocating to Brno - no intentions of doing this!) doing part time bookmaking at the minute so not too bad, back to college though in September me thinks......unless someone looking for an experienced Project Manager WITHOUT any experience in the manufacturing/pharma industries!!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Tuvok

Yep, I would think paper applications are taken far more seriously. It's easier to delete an e-mail....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I personally find it amazing that anyone is firing off 60 to 400 ???? CV's in a period of a few months.

Seriously, I've been out of work now since the beginning of Feburary and have found that real job oportunities have been few and far between, for any profession.

Seriously, where are you people looking?

I've been working in QA in a Localisation company for the last 3 years and before that I was in Design in an e-Learning company and I can say without a doubt that I simply haven't seen 400 job adverts for either career.

The vast majority of my job searches end with nothing.

Last month, I was able to send off 5 CV's to realistic job adverts.

Needless to say, I didn't get a job from one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

I have been looking for a job since before Xmas and I have lost count of the amount of jobs I have applied for. Jobs in my sector I have worked in are non-existent (architecture/CAD) so I have been applying for everything from Office Junior to admin, data entry etc, anything that i could go for that i could use my office experience in. Its impossible thought because so many people are applying for the same jobs, I have had only 2 interviews and have been told im Over-qualified!! So what chance do I have!!

Overqualified and overexperienced seem to be the buzz words at the minute....

Tony - ref the number of applications, have been aggressively targeting the UK market(as well as using every single contact that have dealt with in nearly 20 years experience), as plenty of jobs have been advertised in my field of expertise on various websites etc, however whether these positions actually exist is another query entirely......

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭thebullkf

close to 200 jobs since jan...same fyckers that made a mint during the boom are now offering substandard wages and blaming the recession... unreal.
    why would anyone work 40hrs a week (away from home/family possibly) for double their dole?????
    need to increase min. wage...people need to shop dole cheats to proper authorities....we all know someone!!!!

That's a sign of the times..."Over Qualified".

I remember years ago when jobs were tough to come by, that that old line would be trotted out as a nice way of saying feck off. But I can't imagine it's been used for years.

I recently sent off my CV for a job, presuming I'd at least be called for a face-to-face interview and was pretty confident that I'd get the job in the end. I was well qualified for it and had years of experience in the area.

I didn't even get as far as a phone interview.

When I phoned the company to get some feedback on why my CV was rejected, I got the over qualified line blurted at me.

Needless to say, I was pretty disgusted.

At this moment in time, I am serious doubt of getting a job in the near future and that future looks very bleak indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

I hear ya!! Considering I have been actively looking for the last 9 months, im getting very angry with everything in this country!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

thebullkf wrote: »
    why would anyone work 40hrs a week (away from home/family possibly) for double their dole?????
    need to increase min. wage...

dont think increasing min wage is the answer, we need to be more competitive as a country again, the answer might be to lower the dole.. think we pay too much for things in ireland as it is, only one way itll go down, if we dont have the money to pay for it anymore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

0:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭hblock21

thebullkf wrote: »
    need to increase min. wage...

I don't think so. It has to go down. Its way to high at the moment

johnor wrote: »
    dont think increasing min wage is the answer, we need to be more competitive as a country again, the answer might be to lower the dole.. think we pay too much for things in ireland as it is, only one way itll go down, if we dont have the money to pay for it anymore..

Then that's an argument for proper regulation of prices, not lowering the dole, which will simply make life more difficult for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

marko91 wrote: »
    0:pac:

ha ha ha ha.

I dont have a clue how many Im after applying for to be honest. I dont have me leaving but I do have a few FETAC courses and a few other kinda courses done alright. Im after applying for loads of different types of jobs.
    Ah feck it, we'll all sort something out soon hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

40 since July last year, have a job but it's 12 hours a week at just over minimum wage, depressing! Got one interview in all that time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Ive lost count of the amount ive applied for recently. Any old shop job would do me just fine but even they are scarce right now. Just my luck to finish school for good around the time the recession rears its ugly head. The Kleeneze and Avon companies seem to be going mental,tryin to get representatives for them. I wonder why that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Jade182 wrote: »
    The Kleeneze and Avon companies seem to be going mental,tryin to get representatives for them. I wonder why that is?

Because they thrive in recessions. They rely on people looking to earn extra cash to sell their products and there many, many more people in that category now than there were say 3 years ago.

invest4deepvalue.com

Ive lost count of the amount ive applied for recently. Any old shop job would do me just fine but even they are scarce right now. Just my luck to finish school for good around the time the recession rears its ugly head. The Kleeneze and Avon companies seem to be going mental,tryin to get representatives for them. I wonder why that is?

People get ugly real fast on the dole.

I used to be georgeous......now I'm just good looking. By the end of the year I'll be down to average.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Tony EH wrote: »
    People get ugly real fast on the dole.

Yes, but their minds can become palaces...

For years I've searched for such a quotation such as this. Confident it existed somewhere, and that its discovery would constitute the crowning glory of the present century, if not of all modern times. I knew it was bound to exist, in the very nature of things; that the symmetry and perfection of our planetary system would be incomplete without it; that the elements of material nature would long since have resolved themselves back into original chaos if there had been such a hiatus in creation as would have resulted from leaving out this quotation.

Surely the greatest calamity that ever befell the benighted nations of the ancient world was in their having passed away without a knowledge of the this quotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Then that's an argument for proper regulation of prices, not lowering the dole, which will simply make life more difficult for people.
    Wages are a price/cost and they're too high, the same as every other cost/price in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Having been made redundant as I returned from maternity leave I've been left in a Catch22 situation. I apply for up to 5 jobs a week since January but I have a small baby and can only work as many hours as the creche is open.

The nature of my profession is that employers are now requiring more and more extra hours from their employees at the same wages. So while I could afford to pay for childcare I couldn't be with my child. I would be expected to work from 7.30 - 8.00am until after 7pm four days a week with possibly some work at the weekends.

I'm extremely well qualified, come with outstanding references but I've not even made it to interview stage once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭gwhiz

At this moment in time, I am serious doubt of getting a job in the near future and that future looks very bleak indeed.

I feel the exact same... never a truer word said !
    I worked for a firm of Solicitors for 20 years. Was PA to the managing partner. Good job, good money, benefits etc but hours were long and job very pressurised. Im a single parent so in January 2008 i handed in my notice. Boss begged me not to but I did. My intention was to take a year out and then get another job. I didnt think this would be a problem.... BIG BIG MISTAKE.... A few months after I left the recession reared its ugly head and so I decided fook this, I better look for another job quick... and here I am about 500 cv's later, registered with every agency known to man, registered on every job site online, senT out loads of cold cv's etc etc..... I dont care where I work at this stage and I know I will have to take a huge pay cut but dont give a ****. Anyway, as Tony says, THE FUTURE LOOKS VERY BLEAK :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JuJuBean

I was let go from my job in January. Was on contract so no redundancy. I must have applied for a few hundred jobs over the last 4 months. Even jobs that I know I could do but am totally over qualified for - if I get a response at all, the answer is that employers can afford to be really specific about their requirements so won't go for candidates without the exact role requirements.

I've just accepted a new job yesterday, thank god. It is a 2 hour drive from where I live but in the absence of a suitable job here, I am taking it. Its a one year contract but hey, its a job. Its a little less pay than my previous job, and with the new house share rent along with keeping up my mortgage here, I'll have less than before but still more than on the dole! And I will be working again which is really important. And I'll be saving!! I didn't save properly before but I'll never let myself get into such a dire situation again ie losing my job and not having enough set aside.

My advice is to look outside of your home town. I know its not the ideal solution but if you got a decent enough salary you could house share and still come home at the weekends. That's what I have to do, and I know a few others who have to do it to. Some house shares are as cheap as €200 a month, not that bad. Its not easy on relationships but these are the times we live in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Between applying for advertised jobs, and sending out cvs to companies and businesses on the chance something comes up, I would have sent approx 300 in the last six weeks.

Have been applying for positions that I would be qualified for and for entry level positions in other sectors.

Have also sent out a crapload of cvs by email too, but I prefer to send in my cv on paper with a cover letter to match the role I am applying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

Overqualified?

I went for a job, that I knew I was well over qualified for.

But like everyone else, id take anything at the moment.

Felt I had a good interview.

A few days later i got a phonecall saying I was UNDERQUALIFIED, and would i be interested in a 12hr per week part time job at one of there other stores 40miles away!

The job I was going for was a Xtravision Assistant Managers job.

My Previous Experience includes managing a large retailer with a turnover of 8million per year!

Add insult to injury the feckers wrote to me to confirm in writing that I was UNDERQUALIFIED!

Xtravision were offering €21000.
    Previous retailer €36.000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭gwhiz

FreedomJoe wrote: »
    Overqualified?

I went for a job, that I knew I was well over qualified for.

But like everyone else, id take anything at the moment.

Felt I had a good interview.

A few days later i got a phonecall saying I was UNDERQUALIFIED, and would i be interested in a 12hr per week part time job at one of there other stores 40miles away!

The job I was going for was a Xtravision Assistant Managers job.

My Previous Experience includes managing a large retailer with a turnover of 8million per year!

Add insult to injury the feckers wrote to me to confirm in writing that I was UNDERQUALIFIED!

Xtravision were offering €21000.
    Previous retailer €36.000!

Obviously you were OVERQUALIFIED for the job having previously worked in management and these idiots were only looking for as ASSISTANT manager !!! Me thinks they probably gave the job to someone who was willing to work in management for the minimum wage.

Anyways FREEDOM JOE.... chin up.... were all in the same boat here... but i thinks its sinking fast... !!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

God, I feel a bit humbled reading some of the figures here, and maybe appreciating the bigger picture more.

I was let go the end of Jan with no notice and started applying straight away. I have experience in admin/secretarial/PA/legal sec and cust service so pretty broad in admin sector. Train commuter so have to work in Dublin city centre.

Not counting recruiting agency 'jobs', I have applied for 75 direct to employer positions, all that I should have no problem getting, some entry level. Got 4 interviews in the first 2 months and not one phone call since and never got feedback from the interviews, only standard rejection stuff. Don't even get 'No's from everywhere just ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There really needs to be some more rights brought in for jobseekers for employers to give reasons why they didn't hire someone.

Its one thing to be told your overqualified etc... A lot of companies just couldn't be arsed responding, the height of ignorance. They should have to get back to you IMO. Not have you chasing up with them for weeks to find out they gave the job to someone else and have them lie to you about why they aren't hiring you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

thebman wrote: »
    There really needs to be some more rights brought in for jobseekers for employers to give reasons why they didn't hire someone.

Its one thing to be told your overqualified etc... A lot of companies just couldn't be arsed responding, the height of ignorance. They should have to get back to you IMO. Not have you chasing up with them for weeks to find out they gave the job to someone else and have them lie to you about why they aren't hiring you.

What really irks me is when a potential employer does call you for an interview, and can't be bothered to notify you afterwards to tell you that you haven't gotten the job. It's not like my time is free. It costs me time and money to take a day off, do preparation work, and pay for taxis to the interview etc.

In a lot of cases a preliminary phone interview would get rid of half the candidates who are probably on the dole and it would save everyone time and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

I was unemployed for 3 months between Jan and March, id estimate that I applied for at least 60 jobs (no agencies), It was only when I started applying outside the Dublin/Cork area that I got any interviews,one led to a job thankfully, a mere 6.5 hour drive from home:D!

To make a long story short folks my advice is; be prepared to leave your comfort zone, if you have to move up the country for a year or so (family commitments permitting of course) and sit this thing out then do it. You can always move back eventually. Best of luck anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

FreedomJoe wrote: »

what are your qualifications? and i'm not talking about experience, i mean formal qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I recently applied to one of those Face2Face fundraising jobs. I'm not really sure about it though because charity yet it claims to pay 700 upwards a week. I always thought charities would pay very little considering that they are charities! I'm hoping to get the job and hoping even harder that its not a scam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

I recently applied to one of those Face2Face fundraising jobs. I'm not really sure about it though because charity yet it claims to pay 700 upwards a week. I always thought charities would pay very little considering that they are charities! I'm hoping to get the job and hoping even harder that its not a scam!

Friend of mine used to work for Face2Face. Not a scam, just horrible work. They basically co-ordinate "chuggers", and you get paid on performance related basis. Its an increasing scale, so if you get like 5 signups in the day you get basic of X + 25 bonus, get 10 and 70 bonus, get 20 and 200 bonus and that kinda lark. Usually averages out at 9/10 an hour which isnt too bad, but my firend was basically told some days that they needed ten signups, and if they didnt they had to stay out till they did. Very pressurised environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

God, I feel a bit humbled reading some of the figures here, and maybe appreciating the bigger picture more.

I was let go the end of Jan with no notice and started applying straight away. I have experience in admin/secretarial/PA/legal sec and cust service so pretty broad in admin sector. Train commuter so have to work in Dublin city centre.

Not counting recruiting agency 'jobs', I have applied for 75 direct to employer positions, all that I should have no problem getting, some entry level. Got 4 interviews in the first 2 months and not one phone call since and never got feedback from the interviews, only standard rejection stuff. Don't even get 'No's from everywhere just ignored.

Im in the same boat as yourself 2funki4wheelz, both in experience and in that i was let go from a contract admin role in January.. no luck since. Even no luck when i applyed for a basic HMV role!!!! This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better im afraid :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Since being made redundant at end of januray, i have applied for 100's of jobs, though with the recruitment agencies being what they are, god knows how many of them were real jobs!
    At first i applied for just similar jobs to what i had before, (it manager/desktop support etc) but since then i have applied for anything i can possibly do, from call centre to debt collector. So few acknowledgements of my applications, that its gone beyond ridiculous.
    I dont know when its ever going to change either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 raver_richie

I quit my permanent job last September to return to full time education and back when I was in college before finding employment I remember doing quick searches for temporary summer jobs on recruitireland.ie and it would pull up dozens of pages. temps jobs, during the summer, almost overshadowed the perm jobs

Just comparing from last year to today, 2 pages......
    http://recruitireland.com/search/?County=Dublin+City+Centre&JobLength=TEMPORARY&JobArea=ALL&num=25&myDate=%26&desc=brief&KeywordExtra=

I have no doubt that everyone who's been searching for months feels extremely frustrated with the current situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

phill106 wrote: »
    though with the recruitment agencies being what they are, god knows how many of them were real jobs!

This is the main problem as far as I see it. Why should a recruitment agency be allowed to advertise a job that doesn't exist? If a shop advertises products that don't exist, they can be taken to court. Why not these @rseholes?

I went through FÁS, did well in my exams, did well in my work placement and then... nothing. Loads of applications sent, very few responses. Currently volunteering at a charity to prevent galloping insanity.

C'mon the lotto!

• Advertisement

AFAIK they aren't allowed do it but it is impossible to police properly.

They have one job on their books and every person in the company posts it differently so it looks like 10 jobs. If pulled on it they can claim miscommunication between staff.

Hell I'm sure most don't even bother doing that.

Another common theme that seems to be happening is that jobs are being advertised by agencies that the company actually have on hold due to recruitment freezes etc, not good!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

about 50 id say since last september and I have'nt heard a word back from any of them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

about 50 id say since last september and I have'nt heard a word back from any of them :(

im the same but i applied for well over 100 and got 2 call backs but still not working,its driving me mad.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sligome

i have sent three hundred and twenty six cvs since christmas and i have been sending them to anyone, i would become a litter collector if it got me out of the house, im not qualified so that doesnt help at all but i am willing to do anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

thegame wrote: »
    im the same but i applied for well over 100 and got 2 call backs but still not working,its driving me mad.:rolleyes:

Its driving me mad too....Im half thinking of going over to canada to my brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rentacrowd

Its driving me mad too....Im half thinking of going over to canada to my brother.
    Driving me nuts too. Looks like I'll be heading out to Saudi or somewhere like that, and I likes drink, women and and auld joint from time to time. Don't think there is much in Canada but would love to head out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

So much relieft to read this thread and know it's not just me thats not getting a response. Ok so i'm out of work about a 2wks not - still waiting on dole payment so i've another 4-5 wks wait! Thankfully finished last job with holiday pay so should tide me over.

The main thing killing me at the moment is the sheer boredom!!!!
    I mean i've spoken to about 2 ppl the whole day - until my family friends are finished work. Think i'm starting to crack!
    What is everyone doing to stop the boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

TV:( Reading:eek: Looking on internet for jobs:confused:

Drinking:o

Walking:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

DubLegs wrote: »
    So much relieft to read this thread and know it's not just me thats not getting a response. Ok so i'm out of work about a 2wks not - still waiting on dole payment so i've another 4-5 wks wait! Thankfully finished last job with holiday pay so should tide me over.

The main thing killing me at the moment is the sheer boredom!!!!
    I mean i've spoken to about 2 ppl the whole day - until my family friends are finished work. Think i'm starting to crack!
    What is everyone doing to stop the boredom.
    Take up a hobby? I will be in your situation very soon :( but intend on teaching myself a few things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement