Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mullingar Barracks

• 06-05-2009 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

has anyone heard rumours about Mullingar barracks closing ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

triskell wrote: »
    has anyone heard rumours about Mullingar barracks closing ?

Yes informed rumour has been in circulation for number of months. It will be closed with Clonmel and a Dublin barracks and this will conclude the barrack closures. Ref Indo today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Whoa there, you sure about Clonmel?

Just read the article...........Nothing in stone though.

FFS I can't recall how many times Kickham Brks. have been in the sights for closure over the years.
    Huge place and I wouldn't mind like many of the Barracks around the Country it is steeped in history
    FFS theres even not one but two Irish War monuments present on the grounds.
    One dating back to 1879 for the RIR who died guess where.....Afghanistan. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Clonmel has to go. It's home to a split Battalion, the entirety of which won't fit in it, but which will fit in Limerick. Limerick is also home to the Minsiter, so he's not going to touch it.

3rd Batallion is not a split Batallion in the proper sense, as B Coy is detached from the Batallion, and isn't really part of it, so Kilkenny is safe.

Clonmel isn't Huge as you say, it's quite small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I'm hoping that Clonmel survives, I really do. As to size of Barracks, Isn't Killkenny smaller? Again I stand open to correction here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

iceage wrote: »
    I'm hoping that Clonmel survives, I really do. As to size of Barracks, Isn't Killkenny smaller? Again I stand open to correction here.
    hell no kilkenny way bigger than that kip of a barracks in clonmel!!! it was meant to close bout 5 years ago did my recruit training in that barracks and the accomadation was dire we had 5 showers to wash 35 males and only 2 rooms to house us while there, the gym was being lived in by pigeons the only good thing about clonmel was that it was at the foot of the comeragh mountains and a visit to the bog up there for a beasting session was always on the cards if we ****ed up, as for the 3rd batt not being a split batt thats bollocks it the same as 12th bn as the 12 bn have b coy and sp coy in clonmel and a coy hq coy up in limerick, 3rd batt have a coy hq coy and sp coy in kilkenny and b coy in the curragh no real difference!!!
    also where will they relocate rdf hq to??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

maybe they wont need to relocate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

New DFHQ, The Curragh, along with D MP. RDF Bde HQ can go back to Limerick, and the RDF Cav Sqn can be a Tp as part of 1 Cav Sqn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

testicle wrote: »
    New DFHQ, The Curragh, along with D MP. RDF Bde HQ can go back to Limerick, and the RDF Cav Sqn can be a Tp as part of 1 Cav Sqn.

There has been plans to move the RDF Cav Sqn to Cork for many years. Since Fermoy closed at least. With the withdrawal of the Panhard from the PDF it will make even more sense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The closure of Mullingar is not a rumour. Its evident in the fact that they will not be renovating the kitchen in the mess hall and now cook food in the officers mess and bring it over. Mullingar is going. So is Finner and Galway. Every reserve sub unit before those closures will be let go first. The only remaining barracks in the west in the next 10 years will be Athlone.

You all may have heard that all barracks in the east will also be closing with all troops being moved to the curragh. Cork in the south will remain. In the next 15 years only the curragh will exist only to provide enough troops to carry out internal operation and overseas missions with the NBG. As for the reserves, its the beginning of the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

djhunter30 wrote: »
    You all may have heard that all barracks in the east will also be closing with all troops being moved to the curragh. Cork in the south will remain. In the next 15 years only the curragh will exist only to provide enough troops to carry out internal operation and overseas missions with the NBG. As for the reserves, its the beginning of the end.

All barracks in the East? Not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Poccington wrote: »
    All barracks in the East? Not a chance.

Yes, all that will be left will be DFHQ in Dublin. They want to reduce to a minimum of 2 Battalions: Infantry and Services. The Curragh will be big enough for what remains in the next 15 years.

Yes, all that will be left will be DFHQ in Dublin. They want to reduce to a minimum of 2 Battalions: Infantry and Services. The Curragh will be big enough for what remains in the next 15 years.

All that will be left is DFHQ? That's already being moved.

There's not a chance they'll close both barracks in Dublin.

For the purposes of the President, the Government and what ever prison may be Dublin, as I was told by a reputable Military source, all but what will be assigned to the above mentioned will be moved to the Curragh. Should there be Government problems in Dublin, provisions are there to move them to Athlone Barracks should the need arise and I don't know how I know this, but I do. I am willing to be corrected though to save argument!

For the purposes of the President, the Government and what ever prison may be Dublin, as I was told by a reputable Military source, all but what will be assigned to the above mentioned will be moved to the Curragh. Should there be Government problems in Dublin, provisions are there to move them to Athlone Barracks should the need arise and I don't know how I know this, but I do. I am willing to be corrected though to save argument!

Well your source is quite obviously wrong, since they said DFHQ would be staying in Dublin when it's a well known fact that it's moving to the Curragh.

I could be wrong, I'll agree with that. I couldn't see why DFHQ would move to the Curragh as it is the location of the Chief of Staffs office and it would be better to be located in Dublin as his job is more of Director of the DF and a Political job involving contact with the Minister for Defense for things such as policy, defence and finance. I did get my info from a Military Historian and a Person who is a relative of the founding member of the DF between 1916 - 22.

Well it's a fact that DFHQ is moving to the Curragh and DoD is moving to Newbridge.

I see, so in moving to the Curragh and DOD up the road there should be no problems in doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

The closure of Mullingar is not a rumour. Its evident in the fact that they will not be renovating the kitchen in the mess hall and now cook food in the officers mess and bring it over. Mullingar is going. So is Finner and Galway. Every reserve sub unit before those closures will be let go first. The only remaining barracks in the west in the next 10 years will be Athlone.

The only true part in your post, at least in the near future, is that Mullingar is going to close. The person you got your info from is very much mistaken...or winding you up.

And its very well known that DFHQ is moving to the Curragh.

It is true that Mullingar is going. Some of the information may have been wrong. Look at Lifford and Rockhill in Donegal. The only Barracks that the 28th has left is Finner. Cavan is actually a rented Barracks so it will be closing. Any Reserve subunit around the country especially in the west use rented buildings, they will be closing those units will be moved to the nearest barracks.

Its not a good sign of things to come. I completely understand now and it would make sense for such a move for DFHQ.

Well Mullingar has been on the cards for a while now, and I'll admit closing Rockhill and Lifford at the same time was a bit of a surprise, but the 28th is now shoehorned into Finner, can't see it being closed any time soon. I've heard rumours about Cavan too, but with Mullingar potentially going, and Longford already gone is there enough room in Athlone?

I'm from 58Bn and we have several rented properties in our AO, which is Donegal, Sligo and Leitrim. Due to the large distances involved, getting to parade nights is already a problem for quite a lot of people, moving everything to Finner will put an end to parade nights completely for most subunits, in which case, very few in the unit wil be able to fulfill their gratuity requirements, or stay on the effective list. I think its extremely unlikely, but the government has already made it hard enough for us to operate properly, so I suppose nothing is out of the question.

• Advertisement

The Barracks in Donegal did come as a suprise. There is "enough" room and I put that in quotes, because there is just barely enough room. There's one side of the square now cramed with vehicles and the Cav equipment is parked around the back in sheds because theres no where else to stick them. As for the GOC of the 4th west brig. Hes had to give up his residence to accomadate offices.

I'm with the 56th here in Athlone, just wondering do you know a lad by the name of P Callaghan, I won't mention his first name.

I know him to see alright, have never really talked to him though.

It'll be a pity to see Mullingar go though, despite the fact that its a bit of a kip (no offence to anyone based there!) theres very little space elsewhere for the reserves to go train within the brigade area. Finner and Athlone are now pretty much out of the question I'd imagine, and if Cavan closes that only leaves Galway.

Well it is unfortunate and there's nothing that can be done about it. There was talk of disbanding the RDF, but thats an Ugly rumor I don't like.

Cant see them disbanding it, but in its present state I think it has to change....I wont go on, this has gone way off topic.

I could be wrong, I'll agree with that. I couldn't see why DFHQ would move to the Curragh as it is the location of the Chief of Staffs office and it would be better to be located in Dublin as his job is more of Director of the DF and a Political job involving contact with the Minister for Defense for things such as policy, defence and finance. I did get my info from a Military Historian and a Person who is a relative of the founding member of the DF between 1916 - 22.

Surely he would be accurate for past but not the future!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bean-bags

The closure of Mullingar is not a rumour. Its evident in the fact that they will not be renovating the kitchen in the mess hall and now cook food in the officers mess and bring it over. Mullingar is going. quote]

This isnt true at all. The cookhouse has been completely done up, it is all brand new. Not that that makes any odds.

bean-bags wrote: »
    The closure of Mullingar is not a rumour. Its evident in the fact that they will not be renovating the kitchen in the mess hall and now cook food in the officers mess and bring it over. Mullingar is going. quote]

This isnt true at all. The cookhouse has been completely done up, it is all brand new. Not that that makes any odds.

I am afraid that djhunter30; is talking rubbish. .

bean-bags wrote: »
    [

Kitchen was done up in Lifford not too long ago, there was some work done in Rockhill too. You definitely can't count on that.

I understand the cookhouse has been done up. Doesn't count for much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

DF have often spent €'s on some things and cut on others.
    If you plan to sell something, you have it looking it's best before you do :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bean-bags

I never said it did count for anything. I was just making a point that your original post was full of porkies and you shouldn't go posting your so-called "facts" here from your not-so-reliable military source. No problem with people debating what might or might not happen regarding bk closures or anything else for that matter, but why pretend to KNOW whats going to happen; some people here are depending on their jobs; have expensive houses and mortgages; are not in a position to relocate for a variety of reasons. The last thing that needs to be done is putting the ***** up people unnecessarily.

I suppose yer right. It'll be the last time I listen to rumour unless I can see it in paper from the relavent authority first. I'll keep it zipped until then. Good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

I suppose yer right. It'll be the last time I listen to rumour unless I can see it in paper from the relavent authority first. I'll keep it zipped until then. Good point.

Cardinal rule learned in recruit training "never volunteer for anything or volunter anything" you should know better:D:D

Advertisement