Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If the La Liga top sides played in the ELP...

• 06-05-2009 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

How would they fair? For the purposes of this thread Barca, Real Madrid etc would play with their current philosophies and squads. Would they be able to
    adapt without compromising their essential qualities and if they didn't adapt would they get mullered by the "Big 4" (and Stoke?).

I suspect Barca would be lucky to make the CL places while Real would have to settle for the Europa League.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

According to that Professor on Sky a few weeks ago (reporting on a study) it's all got to do with the money and nothing to do with managers or tactics or anything else. So they'd probably do alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

mike65 wrote: »
    How would they fair? For the purposes of this thread Barca, Real Madrid etc would play with their current philosophies and squads. Would they be able to
    adapt without compromising their essential qualities and if they didn't adapt would they get mullered by the "Big 4" (and Stoke?).

I suspect Barca would be lucky to make the CL places while Real would have to settle for the Europa League.

Do you really believe that? :confused:
    They'd be challenging for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

They'd be 2nd behind Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I know you said with the present squads and tactics, but if they were up against PL opposition consistently they would change and adapt and have the money/reputation to do so. They'd be up there fighting to win it after a few years.

Purely hypothetical and pointless topic BTW.

Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

On current squads and recent league history, Barca, Real, Chelsea and Man Utd would be favourites to make it, Arsenal would be in massive trouble due to their dependance on CL money. Liverpool would definitely be in the mix but their squad doesn't match up with the above. Valencia would need a good run.

If all the teams from La Liga played here an English side would never get relegated though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If the La Liga top sides played in the ELP...

In the words of Eamo

"No football team will win this tournament. This tournament will be won by the faceless empires of corporate greed. The Jules Rimet trophy has become hijacked by the world of big business bastards, sold to the TV networks of Satan. There will be a final. It will have no soul. It will be Snickers versus Nike."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think you'd have to be pretty silly to think that Barca wouldn't get into the top 4. Arsenal are fairly similar to them in style and get into the top 4 every year. Barca are Arsenal, but much much better, with much better players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

PHB wrote: »
    I think you'd have to be pretty silly to think that Barca wouldn't get into the top 4. Arsenal are fairly similar to them in style and get into the top 4 every year. Barca are Arsenal, but much much better, with much better players.

Thats it exactly to be honest. I reckon Barca are the best in the world and Man United follow closely behind.

Its hilarious how this forum went from licking the proverbial arse of Barca on Saturday after that glorious display, to deciding Barca aren't good enough for the Top 4, because they knocked Chelsea out of the Champions League, outplayed them, dominated posession, gave away far too many chances when stretched after wrongly being reduced to 10 men, but still struggled through and got a stunner of a 93rd minute goal.

God some Irish Premiership fans are dumb sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bubs101 wrote: »
    On current squads and recent league history, Barca, Real, Chelsea and Man Utd would be favourites to make it, Arsenal would be in massive trouble due to their dependance on CL money. Liverpool would definitely be in the mix but their squad doesn't match up with the above. Valencia would need a good run.

Are utd and especially Liverpool not dependent on cl money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

personally i think if Barca & Real were in the PL this year it'd be

Utd
    Liverpool
    Barca
    Chelsea
    Real
    Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

if all 40 teams were in the same division . . .

1. Man Utd
    2. Barcelona
    3. Liverpool
    4. Chelsea
    5. Real Madrid
    6. Arsenal
    7. Sevilla
    8. Villareal
    9. Valencia
    10. Atletico Madrid
    11. Aston Villa
    12. Everton
    I think the second tier of the spanish league (valencia, sevilla, villareal, atletico) are better than their english equivalents (villa, everton, city, spurs).
    I base this on European performances as well as watching them play from time to time.
    I have no idea how relegation would pan out though.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Utd
    Liverpool
    Barca
    Chelsea
    Real
    Arsenal

Man you can't seriously think Liverpool would do better than Barca, Barca will rip lesser sides apart at will, while Liverpool found that very difficult. Benitez did very good in Liverpool vs Barca, but the likes of Fulham, Stoke, and Wigan just wouldn't be able to sit back and defend against Barca like they do against Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

...The team with the best fitness coach would win the league.

1. Man Utd
    2. Barcelona
    3. Liverpool
    4. Chelsea
    5. Real Madrid
    6. Arsenal
    7. Sevilla
    8. Villareal
    9. Valencia
    10. Atletico Madrid
    11. Aston Villa
    12. Everton
    I think the second tier of the spanish league (valencia, sevilla, villareal, atletico) are better than their english equivalents (villa, everton, city, spurs).
    I base this on European performances as well as watching them play from time to time.
    I have no idea how relegation would pan out though.

Dead on I'd say except I'd probably switch the top 2 marginally, and stick Valencia down in between Aston Villa and Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

DSB wrote: »

God some Irish Premiership fans are dumb sometimes.

Alot of football fans are unaware that football exists outside the Premier league sadly.
    They have been brainwashed by the P.R crap on Sky Sports.

Andy Gray summed it up for me a couple of weeks ago when he was crowing during the Liverpool-Arsenal 4-4 match about how you dont get matches like that anywhere else in the world and about how broadcasters around the world are queuing up to televise the Premier League.
    At the same time Real Madrid were playing Getafe in one of the most event packed matches this season .
    Complete and utter ignorance by Gray .

Apart from the top 4-5 teams in the Premier league the standard of football is inferior to Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Apart from the top 4-5 teams in the Premier league the standard of football is inferior to Spain.

correct.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I actually Athletico madrid would take the PL by storm, certain teams would be more suited to it, Valencia, Barca and Athleti would thrive.
    I reckon Real might just fail though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Possibly but give me a Premier league match any day of the week.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I actually Athletico madrid would take the PL by storm, certain teams would be more suited to it, Valencia, Barca and Athleti would thrive.
    I reckon Real might just fail though.

With the likes of Raul, Robben, Huntelaar, Diarra and Casillas in their team I think they'd be better than Arsenal and Liverpool on paper, and their integration to the league could really go either way depending on who the manager is next season. People underrate Spanish teams way too much.

Man you can't seriously think Liverpool would do better than Barca, Barca will rip lesser sides apart at will, while Liverpool found that very difficult.

Or perhaps Barca would struggle against the extremely physical well organised defences. Just as they did against Chelsea over the two legs.
    Benitez did very good in Liverpool vs Barca, but the likes of Fulham, Stoke, and Wigan just wouldn't be able to sit back and defend against Barca like they do against Liverpool.

Chelsea could & did so very easily, despite conceding goals left right & centre all year from teams in England.

I based my league postions on Barca doing slightly better against small teams than Liverpool, but Liverpool doing better against big teams than Barca.

So yes, i think Liverpool would finish ahead of Barca.

• Advertisement

The primary difference between the EPL and La Liga is in teams attitudes at home.
    If any of the big boys visit a lower league team ,the home team will have a cut off them,they will try to play attacking football .
    In England alot of the lower placed teams try to play for a 0-0 .
    Too much fear football in England too.

With the likes of Raul, Robben, Huntelaar, Diarra and Casillas in their team I think they'd be better than Arsenal and Liverpool on paper, and their integration to the league could really go either way depending on who the manager is next season. People underrate Spanish teams way too much.

in no way are Real better than Liverpool. not on paper, not on the pitch. in NO way.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Possibly but give me a Premier league match any day of the week.

How about
    Stoke vs Bolton
    or Sunderland vs Hull
    or Everton vs Wigan
    Need I go on...

Or perhaps Barca would struggle against the extremely physical well organised defences. Just as they did against Chelsea over the two legs.

Chelsea could & did so very easily, despite conceding goals left right & centre all year from teams in England.

I based my league postions on Barca doing slightly better against small teams than Liverpool, but Liverpool doing better against big teams than Barca.

So yes, i think Liverpool would finish ahead of Barca.

Hold up a second, Chelsea eliminate Liverpool, Barcelona eliminate Chelsea. Your simple logic there is very skewed. Chelsea hammer goals past Liverpool, Chelsea get 1 goal past Barca. And for any argument about how many goals Chelsea could have had tonight, if you watched the first leg, the same applied for Barca.

Last season and beyond that is very much irrelevant to be honest, Guardiola is twice the manager of Riijkard, and despite his poor performance tonight Alves has made a massive difference, as has Pique and Keita in my opinion. Hleb can get the next train home though. Barca have been simply unstoppable this season, Liverpool are losing the league to a United side that has stuttered a decent amount this season.

Barca may not have smashed the goals past Chelsea, but they did enough to go through despite being unfairly reduced to 10 men, they needed a late goal to go through, but Liverpool would know all about how late goals can set a team on their way to a CL victory.

in no way are Real better than Liverpool. not on paper, not on the pitch. in NO way.

They're as good as Liverpool on paper. Without doubt. Liverpool are a better unit though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Rock...Scissors...Paper...

that's what this argument is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lol, Barca are the only team in Europe who can still win a treble, with their league title almost guaranteed. And they would finish behind Liverpool, a team who haven't won their domestic title in how many years?

My prediction would be;

Barca = Utd (could go either way)
    Chelsea = Liverpool (could go either way)
    Real
    Arsenal

i'm not judging it on last season mate, or tonights game.

all i'm saying is i think Liverpool are a better team than Barca. Barca play nicer football, no doubt about it, but imo Barca would be like the Robinho of the PL, great in fits and starts...i think they'd struggle against a lot of sides who would be well organised & physical, i also think Liverpool/Chelsea & Utd would beat em in the head to heads.

They're as good as Liverpool on paper. Without doubt. Liverpool are a better unit though.

lets just agree to disagree, the gulf in class was clear as day not long ago in Anfield.

• Advertisement

all i'm saying is i think Liverpool are a better team than Barca. Barca play nicer football, no doubt about it, but imo Barca would be like the Robinho of the PL, great in fits and starts...i think they'd struggle against a lot of sides who would be well organised & physical, i also think Liverpool/Chelsea & Utd would beat em in the head to heads.

Well United haven't had too much problems despite dropping 8 points out of 12 against Liverpool and Chelsea to be fair. Red tinted glasses to the extreme.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Lol, Barca are the only team in Europe who can still win a treble, with their league title almost guaranteed.

Havent United already two trophies in the bag ?

How about a Quadruple.

lets just agree to disagree, the gulf in class was clear as day not long ago in Anfield.

Fair enough on agreeing to disagree, but jesus christ I don't think I've ever seen Liverpool play the football they played that night in my lifetime.

redout wrote: »
    Havent United already two trophies in the bag ?

How about a Quadruple.

Barca are talking about the big ones here though. A proper English treble would be the Premiership, FA Cup and Champions League. Forget the League Cup, and the World Club Championships. They're hardly competitions that determine the titans.

Fair enough on agreeing to disagree, but jesus christ I don't think I've ever seen Liverpool play the football they played that night in my lifetime.

Liverpool have been playing consistantly outstanding for quite some time.

if real are better "on paper", whoever is writing on these pages is obviously clueless! ;)

if real are better "on paper", whoever is writing on these pages is obviously clueless! ;)

Haha Rafa is clearly the big difference maker. Swap the 2 managers and I'd say Real would be the better team aswell. They just can't stick with a manager and let him do his job.

• Advertisement

wat are ya talking about?! do ya not read these boards?! rafa is a clueless moron who doesnt know his arse from his elbow!;)

wat are ya talking about?! do ya not read these boards?! rafa is a clueless moron who doesnt know his arse from his elbow!;)

Haha I'm sure you've read often enough that I'm not a believer in that, and haven't believed in that a good bit before that night against Madrid. Still don't think he'll get a Premiership trophy with yous though.;)

Barca are talking about the big ones here though. A proper English treble would be the Premiership, FA Cup and Champions League. Forget the League Cup, and the World Club Championships. They're hardly competitions that determine the titans.

Hardly call the Copa del Rey a big one in fairness.

Has nowhere were near the prestiege of the FA cup and isnt viewed as important by the big Spanish sides. Barca havent won it since 98 and Real Madrid since 93. More on a par with the league cup in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

So would it be fair enough to say that Chelsea/ Liverpool/ Utd would struggle against the lower sides in La Liga because they have a good ability to take on teams and beat them with slick passing moves? Something the top 4 would only really expect from each other and Villa/ Spurs (on occasion).

Dude, that was 3 seasons ago, when Frank Rijkaard's amazing Barca side started getting lazy and lacked alot of drive. They were brilliant on their day, but that team was disjointed, there was rifts in the locker room and they got by solely on skill rather than a work ethic or drive. Pep has instilled that in his team, you could see that tonight. Putting aside the bad reffing decisions, they STILL had the ability to score in extra time after going 1-0 down and losing a player away at Stamford Bridge.

Why do you EPL fans feel to need to belittle La Liga so much? Sure your league is more powerful atm, has more money, and has more passionate supporters on matchdays (there are exceptions in La Liga of course, like pamplona).. But I'm happy that I could watch a team like Recreativo, who are in a relegation scrap, score a goal as beautiful as this;

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2465621/

If any top team team in Spain/ England/ Italy did that we'd be jizzing about it for weeks.

redout wrote: »
    Hardly call the Copa del Rey a big one in fairness.

Has nowhere were near the prestiege of the FA cup and isnt viewed as important by the big Spanish sides. Barca havent won it since 98 and Real Madrid since 93. More on a par with the league cup in fairness.

Disagree redout, the Copa Del Rey used to be the League title back in the day, it has alot of history. And Barca haven't won it not out of trying, they have just been beaten in some fantastic ties over the past decade where they have fielded strong teams. The fact that the Copa Del Rey has had like 6 different winners in 8 years shows strength and depth, not that Barca/ Madrid take the piss in it.

Watch the Getafe-Barca match or Zaragosa-Madrid matches in the past 5 years for proof.

Hes talking about the Real game, not Barca. I'm sure he knows Barca would give Liverpool a stuffing these days:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Eze, i'm talking to DSB about the gulf in class between Real & Liverpool a few weeks ago, after he said that Real are better equipped than Liverpool on paper.

I think it'd be close between Barca, United & Liverpool in the league over a season tbh, i'm just giving my opinion is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

In the PL this season a total of 867 goals have been scored in 349 games.
    In La Liga this season a total of 996 goals have been scored in 340 games.

Given both leagues play a total of 380 games, assuming things stay the same, by the end of the season a total of 1113 goals will be scored in La Liga while 944 goals will be scored in the EPL. That's a difference of 169 goals scored in the same amount of time played.

In my opinion I think this is probably mainly down to defences in La Liga not being as good as in the EPL more than the quality of forwards in La Liga being that much better than the quality of the forwards in the EPL.

How this would affect the top teams in La Liga if they transferred over to the EPL is tough to say but I do think they probably wouldnt score as many goals as they do in La Liga.

Also I think the lower level teams in the EPL would probably have an edge
    over the the lower level teams from La Liga, as all other things being equal, they would probably gain points from their better defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Eze, i'm talking to DSB about the gulf in class between Real & Liverpool a few weeks ago, after he said that Real are better equipped than Liverpool on paper.

I think it'd be close between Barca, United & Liverpool in the league over a season tbh, i'm just giving my opinion is all.

So you're basing the "gulf in class" on that one match......
    Do you want to use more one off matches to determine Liverpools class? Or even both matches against stoke etc?
    If you are talking about THIS season, it would be close between Liverpool,United and Barca, if you are talking about ANY other season in the recent past you'd be well wrong.

This is a really pointless topic, I cant really get my head around it......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

People talking about the top spannish sides having more money and rep to compete with the english sides if they were in the PL.... don't Real and Barcelona, for instance, get FAR more TV money than any English side due to the fact they negotiate their own deals? And I don't think their rep could be enhanced either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Either way it's all silly, because the second that Barca moved to England, they'd probably have to adjust their football, just like real would. And with their resources, they'd be ahead of Liveprool and Arsenal within 2-3 years imo. Money shines through in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

PHB wrote: »
    Either way it's all silly, because the second that Barca moved to England, they'd probably have to adjust their football, just like real would. And with their resources, they'd be ahead of Liveprool and Arsenal within 2-3 years imo. Money shines through in the end.

This is laughable - Barcelona are top of La Liga and in the CL final yet Arsenal and Liverpool are better sides? Liverpool have not won a domestic league in over 20 years and are still miles off the pace. Arsenal are what- 20 pts off the top and getting worse - their performance in the CL semi's showed how average they are - its all well and good hammering Boro etc.. This years PL shows how far Man Utd are ahead of the rest in the PL - they are playing average, resting a load of players practically every match and still coasting to victory. If Barcelona played in the PL they would be the only team capable of beating Man Utd. And to suggest they would change their playing style illustrates what little you know of FC Barcelona as a club. Their tactics is to attack and their fans expect this as do the players - in fact they demand it. I mean why change when they have the best team in the world. Money shines through in the end - look at Barca's team - the majority came through the youths - they are not big spenders unlike every team in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Utd
    Liverpool
    Barca
    Chelsea
    Real
    Arsenal

Jesus Alan, Liverpool having progressed only to the quarter final in one cup are only 3 points infront of a problematic Chelsea this season, somewhere in between those 3 points you squeeze quite possibly the best team in Europe?? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Warper wrote: »
    Arsenal are what- 20 pts off the top and getting worse -

Try 12 points and i wouldn't call 8 wins and a draw in the last 9 league games and 21 games unbeaten "getting worse", but whatever floats your boat.

I don't disagree that Barca and United are better sides of course but get your own facts straight before calling someone elses opinion laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I agree with people who say it's hard to say between Man Utd and Barca. Wouldn't have Liverpool above any of those 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

One thing is for sure Mr.Alan... if I'm having a bad day, your comedic posts certainly brighten it up.. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time :D:D:D

Anyway....

As an avid watcher of La Liga and the Premier League, the lack of knowledge on this forum of anything outside the premier league is hilarious....

You could watch any la liga game outside the big clubs and still get a great game of football. A lot of the premier league is quite boring to be honest... and if anyone thinks that spanish teams are 'weak' and 'frail'.. you are kidding yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement