Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking Pipe

Options
  • 06-05-2009 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Our pipe is leaking where you turn the water supply off to our flat. It's dripping even when its turned off..Any ideas how to seal/stop the drip as its wet sealant wont work! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its a difficult one to advise on.

If its leaking at the mains I would not touch it without knowing where the emergency cut off beyond it is. If its leaking beyond the tap at the nut on the inside it might only need a quater turn with a wrench

Can you post a picture at all to show where its leaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Cinnomen

Thanks, Here is a picture I did a red dot to show where it is leaking from, its only a small drip but it mounts up 0_0 Someone said to get some Amalgamating tape or some plummers mait do you think this will help?
    As you can see I can only fit a little pot under it to catch the drip and im having to keep the tap off and turn it on when I need to flush the toilet etc...NIGHTMARE!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Cinnomen wrote: »
    Thanks, Here is a picture I did a red dot to show where it is leaking from, its only a small drip but it mounts up 0_0 Someone said to get some Amalgamating tape or some plummers mait do you think this will help?
    As you can see I can only fit a little pot under it to catch the drip and im having to keep the tap off and turn it on when I need to flush the toilet etc...NIGHTMARE!

It sounds like it is only leaking at the seat. Close the valve and see does the leak stop it should. If it does not open it all mthe way and check the same.. Becareful but.

TBH if this were me i would try tighten it slightly but history has shown me you will need the stop cock replaced. This will prob involved dropping down the kitchen unit and taking it out to tighten the nut

If a plumber has to do this your looking at 350 -450

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Cinnomen wrote: »

That looks like it's a leak from the valve cover seal. Have you tried simply tightening it up? Open the valve a little way and then put a spanner on the hexagon nearest to the leak. Turn clockwise until tight. Plummers mate won't help unless you can turn off the water somewhere else and unscrew the valve top completely.

Advertisement